News:

PD.com: We're not actually discordians

Main Menu

I DON'T WANT TO WAIT.

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, December 12, 2013, 04:40:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on December 22, 2013, 11:24:55 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 22, 2013, 11:23:45 PM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on December 22, 2013, 11:19:23 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 22, 2013, 10:15:22 PM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on December 22, 2013, 10:07:49 PM
Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on December 22, 2013, 06:59:15 PM
That would be a crazy adventure to go on. Uninhabited lands. Finding strange new structures. Tearing them apart and putting them under glass. Wacky.

One of the interesting thing about Peru and much of Central and South America is that it was once pretty densely populated. It's just thick with ruins.

I know Mexico and Guatemala had huge populations.  I was never sure if South America had huge populations, or just a very, very long history of building & burying.  Thing is, Peru is about perfect for ruins to be preserved in (bodies, too, due to altitude and temperature).

But now that I'm actually thinking about it, some of those ruins would require a HUGE population base, on the order of, say, ancient Egypt, just to keep the logistics train running to build them (farming, foresting, etc), let alone have a functional society alongside the construction.

Yeah, they're realizing now that there were more ruins there than they ever thought, it's just that the rapid and lush vegetation growth, and the moisture, concealed them well and quickly. http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/peru/machu-picchu/inca-ruins-photos/

Yeah, they just found another huge city (in the Yucatan, IIRC) via ground penetrating radar.

So obviously, they're going to be looking elsewhere.  Peru is an obvious choice.  So is the Middle East and the Gobi.

That's neat! I should look that up.

http://www.crewes.org/ResearchLinks/GraduateTheses/2008/Aitken-MSc-2008.pdf

This is some interesting stuff.  Long load time.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 22, 2013, 11:40:14 PM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on December 22, 2013, 11:24:55 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 22, 2013, 11:23:45 PM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on December 22, 2013, 11:19:23 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 22, 2013, 10:15:22 PM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on December 22, 2013, 10:07:49 PM
Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on December 22, 2013, 06:59:15 PM
That would be a crazy adventure to go on. Uninhabited lands. Finding strange new structures. Tearing them apart and putting them under glass. Wacky.

One of the interesting thing about Peru and much of Central and South America is that it was once pretty densely populated. It's just thick with ruins.

I know Mexico and Guatemala had huge populations.  I was never sure if South America had huge populations, or just a very, very long history of building & burying.  Thing is, Peru is about perfect for ruins to be preserved in (bodies, too, due to altitude and temperature).

But now that I'm actually thinking about it, some of those ruins would require a HUGE population base, on the order of, say, ancient Egypt, just to keep the logistics train running to build them (farming, foresting, etc), let alone have a functional society alongside the construction.

Yeah, they're realizing now that there were more ruins there than they ever thought, it's just that the rapid and lush vegetation growth, and the moisture, concealed them well and quickly. http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/peru/machu-picchu/inca-ruins-photos/

Yeah, they just found another huge city (in the Yucatan, IIRC) via ground penetrating radar.

So obviously, they're going to be looking elsewhere.  Peru is an obvious choice.  So is the Middle East and the Gobi.

That's neat! I should look that up.

http://www.crewes.org/ResearchLinks/GraduateTheses/2008/Aitken-MSc-2008.pdf

This is some interesting stuff.  Long load time.

Very cool, thanks!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on December 22, 2013, 06:53:44 PM
I looked it up and apparently it's an uninhabited region. Crazy.

Was it always, or did That Thing That Tends To "Happen" To Indigenous Peoples happen?
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Tiddleywomp Cockletit on December 23, 2013, 12:28:07 AM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on December 22, 2013, 06:53:44 PM
I looked it up and apparently it's an uninhabited region. Crazy.

Was it always, or did That Thing That Tends To "Happen" To Indigenous Peoples happen?

I don't think there are any known ruins there, but it's very heavily vegetated and it's part of what was once a pretty populous region, so I would guess that there were once people there.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."