News:

Endorsement from MysticWicks: "The most fatuous, manipulative, and venomous people to be found here are all of the discordian genre."

Main Menu

Q: Was there good music in the 1980s? A: YES.

Started by LMNO, November 18, 2013, 07:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

Quote from: holist on November 27, 2013, 04:26:12 PM
"If you were to take all the lyrics I've ever written and analyze how many songs are about `women in demeaning positions,' as opposed to `men in demaning positions' you would find that most of the songs are about stupid men.
The songs I write about women are not gratuitous attacks on them, but statements of fact. The song ``Jewish Princess'' caused the Anti- Defamation League of the B'nai B'rith to complain bitterly and demand an apology. I did not apologize then and refuse to do so now because, unlike `The Unicorn', such creatures do exist - and deserve to be `commemorated' with their own special opus.

The basic function of any ethnic protective PR organization is to do what Congressman Duncan Hunter (R-California) suggested on the `Larry King show' - ``maintain the fiction.'' (He used it in context of protecting the Reagan administration during the Iran-contra scandal, suggesting it was our duty as Americans to support the President by looking the other way.)

Italians have an organization to `maintain the fiction' that no Italians are in the Mafia, nor do they sell drugs while engaging in murder for hire. If you want to believe that, fine - welcome to Fantasy Land. If you want to believe that wrestling is real, go for it - and if you want to believe that women are a wonderful species that: 1 never goes to the toilet; 2 can't possibly do anything wrong; 3 is completely superior to men, then believe it - whatever makes you feel good."

from The Real Frank Zappa Book, Chapter Am I A 'Sexist' - Or What?

I find that persuasive. How about you? Also, I would think you'd agree with quite a lot of the ideology of Joe's Garage (I mean the anti-cenzorship, anti-authoritarian angle and the to me hilarious lampooning of the powers that is the Central Scrutinizer), so what's your problem? Catholic Girls? (must admit, I never liked vol. 2&3, so please mention a more offensive song from vol. 1, if you can.) Or is it the song about VD? But it's all parody, is it not? Frank Zappa was of the opinion, I think, that practically everyone is full of shit, himself nominally included, though actually, the situation was somewhat different, which is, all things considered, pretty... Discordian.  :lol:

Start a new thread, dickhead, don't shit this one up.

But, while I'm here, Crew Slut is a hell of a lot more sexist than Catholic Girls.  And you didn't touch on the homophobia which drips all over Stick it Out and Syborg.  Fucksack.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

And hopefully, you can easily see through the argument of "since one person acts this way, it's fine to use stereotypes."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Once in a blue moon, Zappa would have an Important Idea. The bulk of what he did was crap. Kind of like a poor man's Crowley, IMHO.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 27, 2013, 05:11:53 PM
And hopefully, you can easily see through the argument of "since one person acts this way, it's fine to use stereotypes."

It is fine to use stereotypes. After all, we're mostly entirely stereotypical, and not special snowflakes, right?

It's just not fine to overuse them.
Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

hooplala

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: holist on November 27, 2013, 09:17:48 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 27, 2013, 05:11:53 PM

It is fine to use stereotypes. After all, we're mostly entirely stereotypical, and not special snowflakes, right?

It's just not fine to overuse them.

:lolchix:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Quote from: Hoopla on December 13, 2013, 04:59:44 PM
More, please.

You bet. It sucks how life can get in the way of these projects, y'know?

hooplala

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 13, 2013, 05:22:20 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on December 13, 2013, 04:59:44 PM
More, please.

You bet. It sucks how life can get in the way of these projects, y'know?

Oh I know... not cracking the whip, just making sure it stays in your mind and doesn't slip to page 5 or some shit.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman