News:

If it quacks like a sociopath, but also ponders its own sociopathy, it's probably just an asshole.

Main Menu

Relax Kiddies, Santa Is White. And, So Was Jesus

Started by hooplala, December 12, 2013, 08:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: von on December 12, 2013, 08:30:55 PM
Jesus is an obvious jew, however, santa is more ambiguous...

If we go on literal St.Nicolas, he's a greek...so, a mediterranian.

However, if we look at santa's characteristics, then it's quite obvious that we're dealing with a christianised odin (guy who can look at everything in the world, rides a multi-legged means of conveyance, is associated with a winter festival in which things are hung on a tree, and is known for inventing/being the epitome of gift-giving customs). In this, if we were to assume that people-groups anthropomorphise their gods, santa, being odin "christed over", is certainly white.

1.  Under Odin the "things" hanging from the tree were "poor people".  So, you know, no big change.

2.  Santa Claus is not and was not Odin.  How do I know this?  He has two eyes, even in the older stories.  Also, he has reindeer, not crows.  Santa Claus is clearly a Lapp, and Odin wouldn't be caught dead with Lapps.  I realize that this clashes with the ever-popular Paganization of damn near everything, but life is tough.  Now, to be a REAL Pagan, explain why Santa Claus is actually an old crone AND Ra at the same time, and why all of these things together clearly make Santa Claus Irish.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Also, it would be really cool to hear about how Odin was all peace-loving and shit.

Just so we have the whole package.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Wait.  How does MULTIPLE REINDEER equal A HORSE WITH TOO MANY LEGS?

Oh, yeah, because Pagan. 

:hammer:

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Salty

Why did Rudolph's nose grow bright enough to light the menorah?

"cause Pagan.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Nephew Twiddleton

One of the dumbest things i ever saw with pagan wankery  was saying that anu an irish earth goddess was the same entity as an a sumerian sky god. Never mind the gender switch and element switch or even the geographic distance but sumerian is also a language isolate and irish is indoeuropean
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

hooplala

Santa may be many things... Odin ain't one of them.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Suu

I like the new one going around that says Yule is a Norse fertility god.

:?

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Ben Shapiro

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I don't think, as many years as I've spent around Pagans, I've ever heard the claim that Santa is Odin before. Is this a new Pagan invention?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I can't help suspecting it's those wacky Wiccans again, making shit up. I have asked the one bona-fide Heathen I know.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on December 13, 2013, 03:14:53 AM
I don't think, as many years as I've spent around Pagans, I've ever heard the claim that Santa is Odin before. Is this a new Pagan invention?

"Pagan".

:lulz:

What were you expecting?  Accuracy?  Any minute now, he'll "turn into a rabbi".  HAW HAW HAW!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

My Heathen friend says that the Odin connection is legit, not in the sense that Santa Claus "is" Odin as you would see in a syncretic religion, but in that as the Santa Claus/St. Nicholas folklore has evolved it has absorbed a number of characteristics from Odin folklore.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on December 13, 2013, 03:33:39 AM
My Heathen friend says that the Odin connection is legit, not in the sense that Santa Claus "is" Odin as you would see in a syncretic religion, but in that as the Santa Claus/St. Nicholas folklore has evolved it has absorbed a number of characteristics from Odin folklore.

I had heard that the legend descended from a robber of some kind.

But I was told this by Canadians, so it's almost certainly some kind of communist propaganda.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 12, 2013, 10:58:32 PM
Wait.  How does MULTIPLE REINDEER equal A HORSE WITH TOO MANY LEGS?

Oh, yeah, because Pagan. 

:hammer:

BOO YAH!

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division