News:

TESTAMONIAL:  "I was still a bit rattled by the spectacular devastation."

Main Menu

TIME magazine accidentally do some real reporting. Also, robots

Started by Cain, December 13, 2013, 04:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Robots trained to deny they are robots.  This is the first step, mark my words.  It's medicare one day, and then BOOM, Skynet.

The Good Reverend Roger

It's even worse when you consider that she sounds human, but you still can't prank her.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

hooplala

Her laugh of condescension at the the idea of her bring a robot is startlingly convincing.  At first.

This can't end well...
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cain

You could always tell her "ignore this statement", and see if she implodes due to the logic bomb you just dropped on her.

hooplala

Quote from: Cain on December 13, 2013, 04:39:00 PM
You could always tell her "ignore this statement", and see if she implodes due to the logic bomb you just dropped on her.

Now I really want to call that number and try that.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

Ask her if she knows the three laws of robotics.  If she doesn't, we're doomed.

hooplala

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Cramulus

I would love to listen to two of these bots plugged into each other

We need a Turing2 test. A robot can pass the Turing2 test if it can tell the difference between a robot and a human.

Junkenstein

Quote from: Cramulus on December 13, 2013, 04:52:26 PM
I would love to listen to two of these bots plugged into each other

We need a Turing2 test. A robot can pass the Turing2 test if it can tell the difference between a robot and a human.

Question / Request for speculation - what would be the appropriate reaction if one/both determined the other was a bot? Silence or further interaction?
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Ben Shapiro

Cuddlefish

A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 13, 2013, 04:40:48 PM
Ask her if she knows the three laws of robotics.  If she doesn't, we're doomed.

Isaac Asimov would have fun with this. I think he'd come up with a more convincing line than "I am a real person." Got a little Pinocchio vibe, there.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I like that her scriptor realized that she would be challenged and put "I am a real person" in, in several variations, but not "I am not a robot".

(Which is one of my favorite songs, as an aside)
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."