Feel my amazing brain. Go on, touch it!

Main Menu

what do you mean, "original"?

Started by GrannySmith, December 17, 2013, 12:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrannySmith

i was just looking at the title of this "category":

QuoteThink for Yourself, Schmuck!
Did you know that most people only have three original thoughts per week? Discuss new ideas to see if they catch fire.

how do you mean original? that they didn't have before? you know there is no such thing as really "original", right? everything is a different form (or "evolution" in some sense) of something previous!
  X  

Pæs

Nope. Most people have three totally new thoughts per week, not inspired by or derived from existing thoughts.

New thoughts, which exist in isolation from all else.

The trouble is, these thoughts are nonsense and quickly forgotten because of their lack of relevance to reality.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: GrannySmith on December 17, 2013, 12:32:26 AM

Did you know that most people only have three original thoughts per week? Discuss new ideas to see if they catch fire.

how do you mean original? that they didn't have before? you know there is no such thing as really "original", right? everything is a different form (or "evolution" in some sense) of something previous!

Can you figure out which three are original?

START NOW!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

GrannySmith

Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on December 17, 2013, 12:41:57 AM

Can you figure out which three are original?

START NOW!

Hmm... "Quote"?

Paes, seriously? how could something like that work? isn't the randomness that gives us free will too fine to be an entire though? or are there really truly random thoughts? dammit, why do i keep thinking of stuff like this tonight, i'm so bad in philosophy, it makes me feel confused.
  X  

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It's actually just a joke. :) Designed to make you do exactly what you're doing, which is think too much about it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

GrannySmith

Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on December 17, 2013, 12:54:13 AM
It's actually just a joke. :) Designed to make you do exactly what you're doing, which is think too much about it.
i always fall for it... :)
  X  

The Good Reverend Roger

:facepalm:

THANK YOU, O MIGHTY HIPSTER.

EET EES ALL SO BORRRING!

DOUR,
Holding his e-cig backwards, wearing a beret.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

rong

I've often wondered about the first person to think to themselves, "I wonder if I'm the first person to realize there are no original thoughts.  Wait, is this an original thought?"
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Telarus

Quote from: rong on December 17, 2013, 02:02:49 AM
I've often wondered about the first person to think to themselves, "I wonder if I'm the first person to realize there are no original thoughts.  Wait, is this an original thought?"

Pretty sure it was a cuttlefish or some other cephalopod, so the answer is 'No'.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

GrannySmith

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 17, 2013, 01:33:02 AM

:facepalm:

THANK YOU, O MIGHTY HIPSTER.

EET EES ALL SO BORRRING!

DOUR,
Holding his e-cig backwards, wearing a beret.

WOah! why the name calling roger? maybe my comment on originality is not phrased to your liking but i meant it very seriously. and i don't think this is a trivial matter (or at least i don't anymore). i recently had this giant argument about whether there is such a thing as an original idea, and even if the lines are sort of fuzzy, if one can really find a "cutting point" and define something as original. it all started from a copyrights discussion, or actually an argument, or even a sort of a fight. so there are different opinions on this. and there are people who truly believe that this definition is a "fact", an actual thing, and it's not even a matter of opinion (!!!). maybe i should rephrase and say that:
do you guys think that there is such a thing as "original" in any sense?

Quote from: Telarus on December 17, 2013, 03:45:40 AM
Quote from: rong on December 17, 2013, 02:02:49 AM

Pretty sure it was a cuttlefish or some other cephalopod, so the answer is 'No'.

:lulz:
  X  

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

LMNO

If I may slice the Gordian knot:  GS, you may consider "original" to be one of two different definitions.

1) Original to the thinker -- a thought that is not directly related to a short hand mode of thought, ingrained reaction, conditioning, or previous experience.  This is an "out of the blue" thought; it may not be new to the world, but it is new to you.

2) Original in the sense it is a synergy* of two or more existing thoughts, and by combining them, something new emerges.  which can lead us to item 1).

Of course, Original thoughts are not always useful, they are occasionally meaningless, and have a definite probability of being harmful at times.  But if properly nurtured, some original thoughts can be transformative.  And those are the kind I like the best.

*fuck you.  It makes sense here, in a Buckmintser Fuller original definition sort of way.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: GrannySmith on December 17, 2013, 07:44:00 AM
WOah! why the name calling roger? maybe my comment on originality is not phrased to your liking but i meant it very seriously. and i don't think this is a trivial matter (or at least i don't anymore). i recently had this giant argument about whether there is such a thing as an original idea, and even if the lines are sort of fuzzy, if one can really find a "cutting point" and define something as original.

"There is nothing new under the sun" is the hallmark of the common PBR hipster.

Quoteit all started from a copyrights discussion, or actually an argument, or even a sort of a fight. so there are different opinions on this. and there are people who truly believe that this definition is a "fact", an actual thing, and it's not even a matter of opinion (!!!). maybe i should rephrase and say that:
do you guys think that there is such a thing as "original" in any sense?

Oh, I see.  You want to justify the act of ripping music and movies.

:boring:

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

"Free Culture"...IE, people with salaried day jobs telling artists that they shouldn't have the right to own and control their ideas and creative property and/or have it handed down in any way the artist fucking well sees fit.  You go and make a living solely off your own imagination for ten years and then come back and talk to me, shiteyes.  Or go and design your own house and build it with your own money and sweat -- and I'm going to come and fucking live in it.  How's that?  Get away from me.

That is all.  You may now return to bleating about how theft is okay, as long as it's easy to do.

GrannySmith

Nigel, i guess not a bad word in it self, but in the context.. :)

LMNO thanks, that makes sense to me! I guess my best original thoughts are just small modifications and combinations that usually turn out to be already known.

Rogie, it's really sweet how you jump into conclusions so quickly, again :* in fact this was an argument in a (music) band, and it was (mainly) about the following situation: the singer of the band comes to practice with three standard chords and half a lyric. he or she starts playing these chords and repeating the half lyric. the others join in, and in the end product two of these three chords are left in one part of the song, and the band nags the singer to write some lyrics because he or she doesn't like it when others write the texts. is now the singer justified to claim this song as their own and (though saying "it's not about the money") insisting that the "truth" and the "fact" of the ownership of his or her "original idea" be acknowledged?

anyway, i didn't say "there is nothing new", i said i don't consider anything really original, and i of course don't mean original under LMNOs definitions, i mean original as in "based nowhere". With LMNOs definition, there's plenty of original things :)

you have to help me with PBP by the way, i'm not so good with figuring out acronyms.
  X