News:

PD.com: More merciless than a statue of Ming.

Main Menu

Are we more depressed because we're getting smarter?

Started by Q. G. Pennyworth, December 17, 2013, 05:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zackli

Quote from: Hoopla on July 28, 2014, 02:06:19 PM
Quote from: zackli on July 26, 2014, 09:30:01 PMThe first rule of Discordia is don't talk about discordia.

No it isn't.

We're both right. No debate is possible in a world where everything is true, false, meaningful and meaningless. Any argument is just to fill the void that would otherwise exist.
It is naively assumed that the fact that the majority of people share certain ideas or feelings proves the validity of those feelings. Nothing is further from the truth.... The fact that millions of people share the same vices does not make those vices virtues, the fact that they share so many errors does not make the errors truths, and the fact that millions of people share the same form of mental pathology does not make these people sane." - Erich Fromm

LMNO

I hate to be the one to remind you, but Rule One is "Do not act incautiously when confronting little bald wrinkly smiling men".

zackli

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on August 04, 2014, 03:36:13 PM
I hate to be the one to remind you, but Rule One is "Do not act incautiously when confronting little bald wrinkly smiling men".

No it isn't! Yes it is! *ad infinitum*

TO BE CONTINUED...
It is naively assumed that the fact that the majority of people share certain ideas or feelings proves the validity of those feelings. Nothing is further from the truth.... The fact that millions of people share the same vices does not make those vices virtues, the fact that they share so many errors does not make the errors truths, and the fact that millions of people share the same form of mental pathology does not make these people sane." - Erich Fromm

minuspace

Quote from: zackli on August 02, 2014, 03:34:50 AM
Quote from: Hoopla on July 28, 2014, 02:06:19 PM
Quote from: zackli on July 26, 2014, 09:30:01 PMThe first rule of Discordia is don't talk about discordia.

No it isn't.

We're both right. No debate is possible in a world where everything is true, false, meaningful and meaningless. Any argument is just to fill the void that would otherwise exist.
The above statement requires the qualification of discernment.  Otherwise, the distinction between unity and difference is groundless, and remains irreconcilable.  There is no argument because only understanding is both necessary and sufficient.

Or, on what ground can you attest that anything is meaningless (warning, trick question)?

Reginald Ret

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on August 04, 2014, 03:36:13 PM
I thought that was the first rule of Discworld?
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

LMNO

Cain

Obviously we're getting smarter because we're more depressed.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on August 29, 2014, 11:55:26 AM
Isn't that where we are?
Hmmm, looking at the horizon I have to admit you are right. It doesn't seem curved at all!

Quote from: Cain on August 29, 2014, 12:24:20 PM
Obviously we're getting smarter because we're more depressed.
Now that I could believe, depression keeps distracting emotions away. There is no fear failure strong enough to survive a clinical case of 'Whatever, nothing matters anyway.'
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Chelagoras The Boulder

I remember reading a study somewhere that said that sadness serves the purpose of making us introspective. We get depressed and start taking good long looks at out lives to find out Where It All Went Wrong.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Chelagoras The Lust-Driven Dickwolf on August 31, 2014, 01:47:49 AM
I remember reading a study somewhere that said that sadness serves the purpose of making us introspective. We get depressed and start taking good long looks at out lives to find out Where It All Went Wrong.
Sadness and depression are not at all the same thing.
Depression is often in response to unbearable sadness but it is the opposite of emotion.

minuspace

Depression is the purchase of emotion
Quote from: Regret on August 31, 2014, 08:18:39 AM
Depression is often in response to unbearable sadness but it is the opposite of emotion.

Chelagoras The Boulder

While sadness and depression are not the same thing i would argue that depression is not in response to unbearable sadness, at least not when we're talking about a chronic emotional problem as opposed to a temporary state of prolonged sadness. Those who suffer from depression often struggle with negative thoughts about themselves and their lives that may have little to do with their current circumstances. This is what people often don't get about depression is that it isn't just a sad spell in response to some external stimulus, that normal sadness that everyone goes through. Depression is you brain, for whatever reason, emotional, chemical, or cognitive, focusing on negative thoughts again and again in a feedback loop. Yes, sometimes this leads to feeling emotionally numb, but that's usually after a longer period of feeling like the biggest piece of shit on the face of the earth, so i wouldn't call it the opposite of emotion.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

minuspace

Quote from: Chelagoras The Lust-Driven Dickwolf on August 31, 2014, 10:58:15 PM
While sadness and depression are not the same thing i would argue that depression is not in response to unbearable sadness, at least not when we're talking about a chronic emotional problem as opposed to a temporary state of prolonged sadness. Those who suffer from depression often struggle with negative thoughts about themselves and their lives that may have little to do with their current circumstances. This is what people often don't get about depression is that it isn't just a sad spell in response to some external stimulus, that normal sadness that everyone goes through. Depression is you brain, for whatever reason, emotional, chemical, or cognitive, focusing on negative thoughts again and again in a feedback loop. Yes, sometimes this leads to feeling emotionally numb, but that's usually after a longer period of feeling like the biggest piece of shit on the face of the earth, so i wouldn't call it the opposite of emotion.
Think of it this way.  Depression is not like a mental/emotive/attitudinal condition.  It is a physical state that, aside from whatever reason you may think, actually, is directly related to clinically low levels of serotonin.  The result of this is a general sense of disconnection that also pertains to emotion.  Shut up.

minuspace

Fuck it.  Did you know that even a sea-slug's brain grows on SSRI's?

Q. G. Pennyworth

I get more depressed every time this thread gets a reply.