News:

Just 'cause this is a Discordian board doesn't mean we eat up dada bullshit

Main Menu

Cicada 3301

Started by hooplala, December 19, 2013, 04:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

I looked around and didn't see a thread for this, which just came to my attention, so I thought I would bring it up here.

Cicada 3301 is a name given to a set of complex Internet puzzles. The first Internet puzzle started on January 5, 2012 and ran for approximately one month. A second round began exactly one year later on January 5, 2013, and is possibly still ongoing. The stated intent was to recruit "intelligent individuals" by presenting a series of puzzles which were to be solved, each in order, to find the next. The puzzles focused heavily on data security, cryptography, and steganography.

Some think its CIA, or NSA... others just think its a mindfuck.

So... I'm wondering what y'all make of this, and in addition I'm wondering how hard it might be for US to put something like this together. I know we have lots of computery peoples here.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Telarus

Very interesting Hoops. I'll have to check this out this weekend.

I had an interesting random idea this week. Encrypting bodies of text using the Discordian Date as the key (which would be the only legible text on the piece). I even had a thought of setting up a website that would run the decryption, then seeding a bunch of stuff out there with hints back to said URL.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

hooplala

I like that!  I think this also has legs, and could perhaps be incorporated into the illuminati thingy.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Cain

My guess would be corporate intelligence, if not an ARG.

Most people know where to find the NSA if they want a job, especially if they have these kind of skills.  Corporate intelligence flies lower on the radar and, in certain cases, engages in activities whose legality cannot be avoided by waving "national security" in people's faces.

hooplala

There's really such a thing as corporate intelligence?  I thought that was just something from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory... I'm so naive.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Cain

Oh yes.  Depends on the industry, of course, but investment banks and energy companies in particular can be quite sensitive to changing political conditions.  Not to mention companies like Stratfor.

And there are persistent rumours of industrial sabotage and blackmail going alongside the more routine activities of intelligence acquisition and analysis.

LMNO

There was some twist-ending caper movie about two corporate spies that came out a few years ago.  Can't remember the name.

LMNO
-most helpful post of 2013, right here.

Cain

I think that was called "Spy Kids"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on December 20, 2013, 11:40:56 AM
My guess would be corporate intelligence, if not an ARG.

Most people know where to find the NSA if they want a job, especially if they have these kind of skills.  Corporate intelligence flies lower on the radar and, in certain cases, engages in activities whose legality cannot be avoided by waving "national security" in people's faces.

That was my first thought, as well. Definitely some very very highly skilled people behind it. When I first saw it I thought I'd ask my friend who does that kind of thing about it, and then I realized that if he knew it's not like he'd tell me. :roll:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoopla on December 20, 2013, 03:07:00 PM
There's really such a thing as corporate intelligence?  I thought that was just something from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory... I'm so naive.

Um, of course there is.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on December 20, 2013, 03:48:12 PM
Oh yes.  Depends on the industry, of course, but investment banks and energy companies in particular can be quite sensitive to changing political conditions.  Not to mention companies like Stratfor.

And there are persistent rumours of industrial sabotage and blackmail going alongside the more routine activities of intelligence acquisition and analysis.

The energy industry is HUGE on this.  And not just for sites, etc, but also for the tech that they have, and what companies they plan to purchase.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

hooplala

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 20, 2013, 10:36:23 PM

Um, of course there is.

I'm an idiot, Roger. I thought tht would have been clear by now.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoopla on December 21, 2013, 02:41:52 AM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 20, 2013, 10:36:23 PM

Um, of course there is.

I'm an idiot, Roger. I thought tht would have been clear by now.

Then relax, for you are among fellow travelers.  :lulz:

Cain

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 20, 2013, 10:37:16 PM
Quote from: Cain on December 20, 2013, 03:48:12 PM

The energy industry is HUGE on this.  And not just for sites, etc, but also for the tech that they have, and what companies they plan to purchase.

Yeah, that wouldnt surprise me.  Also political stability for pipeline routes and sites.  Chevron was big in Afghanistan during the Taliban rule, which involved hiring "former" CIA and ISI people to help with negotiations.  And various companies in the Niger Delta have been hiring intelligence to complement protective security and more lethal solution packages to help deal with MEND and the infamous Nigerian corruption.