News:

That line from the father's song in Mary Poppins, where he's going on about how nothing can go wrong, in Britain in 1910.  That's about the point I realized the boy was gonna die in a trench.

Main Menu

Re: Open Bar: RECOMMENDABLE

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, December 31, 2013, 04:38:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yesterday I went to yoga, ran, walked five miles, and then completely wasted all of that by going out and drinking five beers.

Today, I am hungover, which is great because I have school for ten hours, including lab.

Someday, I will grow up and develop impulse control and foresight. Maybe.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

I drank too much vodka and my brain hurts.

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on January 08, 2014, 04:48:02 PM
Writing about Thailand.  Boring.  Boooooooooring.  Not least because it's for a "respectable" publication, and so I cannot describe it the ongoing political crisis as a turf war between the world's two most boring, aged gangs.  Which is exactly what it is.

I wish I could pay you enough to read the alternate version.

East Coast Hustle

I'm out at the coast hiking beach trails and storm-watching. And I think I might also be hunting for real estate. I come out here whenever I have a few days to get out of the city and I don't have any burning need to be IN the city, so why the fuck not?
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Suu

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 08, 2014, 06:34:15 AM
Quote from: Kaousuu's Krazy Khaki Kristmas Kookies on January 08, 2014, 01:44:20 AM
Estimated moving date to Portsmouth is around February 20th.

That's it. No more Providence. No more Rhode Island. Up to the land of tax-free all the things, libertarians with guns and no seatbelt laws.

Live free or die, motherfuckers.

So wait, am I mistaken, or did the last place, which you were an alum of so they had some investment be like "We aren't totally convinced of your dedication as a student, you want to attend on probation for a term and show us you're dedicated?" and you were all "NAW SOUNDS LIKE NO FUN". ?

Because honestly, unless you do something pretty spectacular to fix that, it sounds a lot like either you fall back on bartending, or you pay 200,000 for a for-profit-school degree and then fall back on bartending.

I'm applying to other schools for fall admission. I cannot afford what they want for me to take one class, since you get no aid when you're non-matriculating. It's not that I don't want to do it, it's that I don't have the MEANS to do it, and I intend to let them know exactly that in a courteous email response. $2000 for one class is a bit ridiculous when a semester for a full-time matriculating student is $5000, and I just can't pull that money out of my ass. If I had it, I'd do it, even if the class they want me to take sounds less than appealing (Comparative United States and Latin American Environmental History with the professor who said, outwardly on the news, that he wanted Wayne LaPierre's head on a stick.) For $2000 a class, I could go to Harvard.

It sucks, trust me, it sucks, and my parents already told me that they won't help me pay for it. I keep telling myself it's a sign, and that there are better schools I can go to.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cain

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 08, 2014, 04:58:15 PM
Quote from: Cain on January 08, 2014, 04:48:02 PM
Writing about Thailand.  Boring.  Boooooooooring.  Not least because it's for a "respectable" publication, and so I cannot describe it the ongoing political crisis as a turf war between the world's two most boring, aged gangs.  Which is exactly what it is.

I wish I could pay you enough to read the alternate version.

"The military hide behind the skirts of the Chakri Dynasty and get political support from central Thai cities.  Thaksin comes from the countryside and gets support from rural areas neglected by the Chakri Dynasty.  Both are incompetent, corrupt and whine far too much about how "undemocratic" the other are.  Nothing will change because the reforms needed to give Thailand a strong economy would undermine the military position, and populist policies are equally self-defeating because they require taxing the increasingly pissed off middle classes who support the monarchy."

That will be $500 please.

LMNO

Good thing the food is so fantastic.

The check will be in the mail.  Sometime.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Kaousuu's Krazy Khaki Kristmas Kookies on January 08, 2014, 05:08:26 PM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 08, 2014, 06:34:15 AM
Quote from: Kaousuu's Krazy Khaki Kristmas Kookies on January 08, 2014, 01:44:20 AM
Estimated moving date to Portsmouth is around February 20th.

That's it. No more Providence. No more Rhode Island. Up to the land of tax-free all the things, libertarians with guns and no seatbelt laws.

Live free or die, motherfuckers.

So wait, am I mistaken, or did the last place, which you were an alum of so they had some investment be like "We aren't totally convinced of your dedication as a student, you want to attend on probation for a term and show us you're dedicated?" and you were all "NAW SOUNDS LIKE NO FUN". ?

Because honestly, unless you do something pretty spectacular to fix that, it sounds a lot like either you fall back on bartending, or you pay 200,000 for a for-profit-school degree and then fall back on bartending.

I'm applying to other schools for fall admission. I cannot afford what they want for me to take one class, since you get no aid when you're non-matriculating. It's not that I don't want to do it, it's that I don't have the MEANS to do it, and I intend to let them know exactly that in a courteous email response. $2000 for one class is a bit ridiculous when a semester for a full-time matriculating student is $5000, and I just can't pull that money out of my ass. If I had it, I'd do it, even if the class they want me to take sounds less than appealing (Comparative United States and Latin American Environmental History with the professor who said, outwardly on the news, that he wanted Wayne LaPierre's head on a stick.) For $2000 a class, I could go to Harvard.

It sucks, trust me, it sucks, and my parents already told me that they won't help me pay for it. I keep telling myself it's a sign, and that there are better schools I can go to.

Well, good luck.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Wait, how is $1400 = $2000 now?

You can't put that on a credit card?

I mean, if you don't want to do it, you don't want to do it, but "can't" sounds like a bit of a stretch.

Suu

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 08, 2014, 05:57:12 PM
Wait, how is $1400 = $2000 now?

You can't put that on a credit card?

I mean, if you don't want to do it, you don't want to do it, but "can't" sounds like a bit of a stretch.

"Fees."

It's $1400 a class, plus registration fee, plus student services fee, plus some other fucking fee for a total of $1989. I already emailed the grad director, and she agreed that the school's fees are way too high. They have me down to take a class at anytime once I can afford it and my application is still good with no prejudice.

I don't have any credit cards, nor the opportunity to take out a private student loan, thank Sallie Mae for that, when she assraped me in 2008 when I lost my job. My credit is destroyed for at least 7 years because my private loan almost went into default. There's a chance that Navy Federal could lend me the money if the BF and I were married, and I could also use part of his GI Bill, but we aren't married, nor are we willing to take that step just yet.

So basically, I'm applying to other schools and working for 6 months to save some cash to take it in the fall should the other schools turn me down. I figure a semester off isn't going to kill me, and I'm going to maintain RI residency for now. We just cannot afford 2 apartments in 2 different states with me not being in school and receiving housing assistance. :(

I'll get there. This is a hiccup, just like so many other things I've had to deal with. I don't have good days anymore, I have bad days and extraordinarily horrid days. Thanks, Eris.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Nephew Twiddleton

So, Pete is considering moving to California which he dropped on us last night at practice.

And tonight, Villager told me she hates Boston, which makes things a bit problematic since I can't see myself living anywhere else. If it's Boston specifically and not Massachusetts in general, no problem. But aside from the fact that I can't see myself living elsewhere I am basically stuck here until at least 2017, which is when I expect to get my BS.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

I'm not terribly worried about Anarchangel breaking up because we already did that once and Pat's wife is pregnant so we would remain an intermittent band at best anyway. It's just that I'm going to miss the hell out of him and his projected move date, if he decides to do it, is a month before my birthday.

As far as Villager, I suspect its Boston specifically and that Eastern Massachusetts is still fair game, but I think the miserable weather and Pete's announcement made her feel less love for the Hub.

Nephew Twiddleton

But it does raise an interesting question. WHY do I want to stay here? And could I move far away? I hate the climate here too, fucking humid as shit in summer and bitter cold in winter and autumn and spring taken up by bipolar extremes between the two but with a shitload of rain, but at the same time I like that about Boston. I like hating the weather here. It's just part of being Bostonian. And while it is familiar, so is Western Ireland, but I couldn't see myself living there permanently (just as an example, it's not even a remote consideration) even though the temperatures are more stable.

I guess it just really boils down to this is home.

tyrannosaurus vex

Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: V3X on January 09, 2014, 03:52:55 AM
Move to Albuquerque.

Too far away. Leaving Massachusetts is a stretch. I could see myself living in Rhode Island or New Hampshire. You're probably not going to get me to live outside of New England either way. I would need one hell of an incentive to do it. And I say RI or NH because it's very easy to come into Boston from there, either by Commuter Rail (which is run by the Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority, even though it services, to a limited degree, two other states) or by car (which would probably be a necessity if I lived outside of Boston anyway).