News:

It's a bad decade to be bipedal, soft and unarmed.

Main Menu

Re: Open Bar: RECOMMENDABLE

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, December 31, 2013, 04:38:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on January 11, 2014, 10:31:03 PM
So I don't know if I posted about this or if I did and erased it or whatever so forgive me if this is a repeat. Or not, whatevs.

I have a lump on my chest. Directly below the point of my right collar bone. It started out as a tiny annoying bump that got written off as a clogged pore or whatever. I forget when this was. And it stayed small for a long time, and invisible to the naked eye, but recently it has started growing. Last month it was smaller than my pinky-fingertip. Yesterday it fit under my index fingertip. Today it does not.

So doctor's appointment for me. And what the hell, I may as well get a pap smear too. Damn it.

Jesus.

I hope it's just an annoying abscess or something.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Cain on January 14, 2014, 03:45:13 PM
Well, I won't say no to a job I'm qualified for, that pays nearly $60000 a year.

:eek:

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 14, 2014, 05:52:57 PM
For real.  I have been told that mechanical engineering and physics are largely a matter of opinion.

I fucking hate people.

I....

Yeah, I'll leave it at that.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 14, 2014, 10:31:29 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 14, 2014, 10:19:48 PM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 14, 2014, 10:17:58 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 14, 2014, 09:29:15 PM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 14, 2014, 08:35:07 PM
Meanwhile on Facebook, my friend seems to be arguing that selective breeding is fundamentally the same as GMO. :kingmeh:

I actually loathe BOTH sides of the argument. They are all ignorant absolutists who don't know what they're talking about and should shut the fuck up.

And then this happened:

Quote from: KaiThis thread is one of the reasons that I, as a biologist, do not like to mix with non-scientist liberals. You're all as bad as the reactionaries with your bloody propaganda. Bunch of mindless sheep in thrall to hype.

Broad brush techniques are maybe a requirement in MS programs?

Or maybe Kai has just become a ridiculous elitist stuffed shirt.  Fuck him.

DOUR,
Food down my shirt, knuckles dragging.

He's been increasingly douchey, and decreasingly able to communicate with others without being condescending or throwing a tantrum when his sweeping statements are challenged for a while now. I've lost interest in talking to him.

Yeah, thing is that I keep trying to pretend he'll stop, and go back to being the guy I used to love having around.

But that isn't going to happen.   :sad:

Yeah, I don't think so.

I noticed it a little bit in a status that got sidetracked. I think I get it on his end. It's frustration. Damned if I don't feel it sometimes. I don't blame him for it, and damned if we all aren't frustrated. Hmmm. I have the beginning of a thought leading to a rant, I think. think I'm going to have to poke it a bit more.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Suu on January 15, 2014, 03:49:58 PM
Quote from: Cain on January 15, 2014, 03:43:41 PM
You're talking to someone here, Suu, who will happily take coffee in volumes from a heaped teaspoon to multiple tablespoons to "only 3% water".  And that's the nasty instant stuff.  It's the only way I can get a buzz off it.

You'd love what I just made then. French press and everything. I knew it was a bit much, but I went with it and now my intestines are revolting.

Have you ever heard the tale of Richter's Espresso Machine when we both worked in Boston?

He would put 3x the amount of espresso roast into a machine that would give you about the amount of coffee to fill a large mug. There were two people in the office that could handle it, him, and Fabulously Gay Nate, who's previous gig was a bike messenger, and also the front of a synthpop band.

This shit notoriously sent me on a vision quest across Boston Common one lunch hour during which I preached THE WORD to a congregation of bums near the Park St. subway stop. I returned back to my desk and had a caffeine crash. My supervisor came over to check on me, as my head was down on the desk and groaning. Knowing exactly what to do, he picked up my phone, and dialed Richter. Who, within a few minutes, appeared at my desk with a fresh pot of rocket fuel he heated my mug with.

That was the day I saw Eris. Though it may have been Mayor Menino in drag. I haven't figured it out yet.

Hi,

You both need to work in this city again.

Preferably on Longwood Ave, in between Huntington and Louis Pasteur.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: 375 lbs of twisted steel and sex appeal on January 15, 2014, 08:15:22 PM
Coffee??? Coffee??? Coffee?? Silly Anglo Americans. Just chew habanero peppers and speak TRUTH.

Speaking as an Irishman, this it truth.

Twid,
Mouthful of penance

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

So I don't know if I posted about this or if I did and erased it or whatever so forgive me if this is a repeat. Or not, whatevs.

I have a lump on my chest. Directly below the point of my right collar bone. It started out as a tiny annoying bump that got written off as a clogged pore or whatever. I forget when this was. And it stayed small for a long time, and invisible to the naked eye, but recently it has started growing. Last month it was smaller than my pinky-fingertip. Yesterday it fit under my index fingertip. Today it does not.

So doctor's appointment for me. And what the hell, I may as well get a pap smear too. Damn it.

:(

Hope it turns out to be nothing important.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Quote from: THE PHYTOPHTHORATIC HOLDER OF THE ADVANCED DEGREE on January 16, 2014, 05:19:43 AM

Jesus.

Doctor appointment went well-ish.

Got antibiotics to see if that takes care of the lump thing. He's pretty convinced it is just an abscess. Of all the shit we discussed today, that was the LEAST of his concerns about my health. God damn it. He's also pretty convinced a large super shiny mole he freeze-nuked was NOT just a mole. Annnnnd I need to find a gyno and/or reproductive endocrinewhatsit for my woman-bit healthcare from here on out because -unnecessary TMI- and he's not going to touch it with a ten-foot pole. God damn it.

If the antibiotics don't work on the chest-decoration and/or it doesn't sprout a Pepsi logo, I go back in and he'll do whatever it is they do to non-Pepsi oriented lumpy bits.

And I didn't have a gigantic panic attack, snap, and beat the shit out of random people; so that's good.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Quote from: Net on January 16, 2014, 07:09:32 AM

:(

Hope it turns out to be nothing important.

Possibly did. Thank you. I'll know for sure in about three days. :)
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on January 16, 2014, 07:25:44 AM
Quote from: THE PHYTOPHTHORATIC HOLDER OF THE ADVANCED DEGREE on January 16, 2014, 05:19:43 AM

Jesus.

Doctor appointment went well-ish.

Got antibiotics to see if that takes care of the lump thing. He's pretty convinced it is just an abscess. Of all the shit we discussed today, that was the LEAST of his concerns about my health. God damn it. He's also pretty convinced a large super shiny mole he freeze-nuked was NOT just a mole. Annnnnd I need to find a gyno and/or reproductive endocrinewhatsit for my woman-bit healthcare from here on out because -unnecessary TMI- and he's not going to touch it with a ten-foot pole. God damn it.

If the antibiotics don't work on the chest-decoration and/or it doesn't sprout a Pepsi logo, I go back in and he'll do whatever it is they do to non-Pepsi oriented lumpy bits.

And I didn't have a gigantic panic attack, snap, and beat the shit out of random people; so that's good.

Crossing fingers for ya.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 15, 2014, 10:52:38 PM
Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on January 15, 2014, 06:56:01 PM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 15, 2014, 06:42:00 PM
Quote from: 375 lbs of twisted steel and sex appeal on January 15, 2014, 01:05:15 AM
Maybe Kai's tolerance has reached a new low point.

"This thread is one of the reasons that I, as a biologist, do not like to mix with non-scientist liberals"

This pretty much pushes away everyone in America.

To all people who have higher education(s) than me here. I'm 90% complete in my A.A.S in Mechanical Engineering. Can a engineer call themselves a scientist, or is that reserved when I pick up another scientific field, or until I get a BS?

I really hope I don't start getting like that when I get my PhD. If I do, I'd like you guys to please take a hit out on me.

I don't think I'd call an engineer a scientist, that's a different kind of beast altogether. Probably a kind that isn't good enough to associate with Kai.

But what do I know? I'm just a lowly Associate of Arts.

new meme - Speaking as a scientist  :lulz:

Speaking as a mother, I approve of this spaggotry.

I don't know if I can mix with mothers.
\
:snob:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: THE PHYTOPHTHORATIC HOLDER OF THE ADVANCED DEGREE on January 16, 2014, 05:17:09 AM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 11, 2014, 06:28:37 PM
Quote from: Alty on January 11, 2014, 01:55:37 AM
Why do you suppose that is?

I think there are a lot of ingrained cultural messages that basically tell black people that they aren't cut out to be scientists. They aren't encouraged in math, there are few visible black representations in math and science, and at the community college level we are mostly talking about poor black kids from poor black schools, so they were severely shortchanged at the elementary school level. My guess is that the #1 reason I don't see black faces in my classes is because they are intimidated by the math required to go on to the "serious" chemistry and biology courses. They feel like they just can't do it... even though, like every other class they may take, it is simply a matter of taking the classes that lead up to it. If you can pass math 95, you can pass 111, and then 112, and then 253/254. But math is mystified, and black students are given the message at the elementary level that they aren't up for it. Teachers expect less of black students.

Which is stupid. My bio professor from last semester is from Africa, and I'm looking forward to having him again in Genetics, because he's an awesome teacher who knows his stuff, and is friendly as hell to boot. One of my math projects was to talk to someone in a field I wanted to go into, which is at the moment, loosely biology. I could have gone to anyone I work with, but I chose him. Honestly, if he taught more classes at BHCC, I'd probably stack them with him.

You know, there's a funny thing there, too. I looked at Rate My Professors halfway through the semester and some people were all about him and others were talking about how he can't be bothered with you and he's a horrible teacher. I couldn't help but think that those bad reviews were from people who just didn't want to put in the work. And I'm saying this as a slacker who has to force himself to work. That's a side note of course.

Half the reviews for  my chemistry professor are bad, too, and I think it's for the same reason. Yes, she IS anal-retentive and exacting... do you want to learn chemistry, or not?

An interesting observation: African immigrants don't have the same academic limitations American blacks do. It's purely a cultural artifact, which means our culture is doing something very wrong.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: THE PHYTOPHTHORATIC HOLDER OF THE ADVANCED DEGREE on January 16, 2014, 06:45:22 AM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 14, 2014, 10:31:29 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 14, 2014, 10:19:48 PM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 14, 2014, 10:17:58 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 14, 2014, 09:29:15 PM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 14, 2014, 08:35:07 PM
Meanwhile on Facebook, my friend seems to be arguing that selective breeding is fundamentally the same as GMO. :kingmeh:

I actually loathe BOTH sides of the argument. They are all ignorant absolutists who don't know what they're talking about and should shut the fuck up.

And then this happened:

Quote from: KaiThis thread is one of the reasons that I, as a biologist, do not like to mix with non-scientist liberals. You're all as bad as the reactionaries with your bloody propaganda. Bunch of mindless sheep in thrall to hype.

Broad brush techniques are maybe a requirement in MS programs?

Or maybe Kai has just become a ridiculous elitist stuffed shirt.  Fuck him.

DOUR,
Food down my shirt, knuckles dragging.

He's been increasingly douchey, and decreasingly able to communicate with others without being condescending or throwing a tantrum when his sweeping statements are challenged for a while now. I've lost interest in talking to him.

Yeah, thing is that I keep trying to pretend he'll stop, and go back to being the guy I used to love having around.

But that isn't going to happen.   :sad:

Yeah, I don't think so.

I noticed it a little bit in a status that got sidetracked. I think I get it on his end. It's frustration. Damned if I don't feel it sometimes. I don't blame him for it, and damned if we all aren't frustrated. Hmmm. I have the beginning of a thought leading to a rant, I think. think I'm going to have to poke it a bit more.

He applies that level of slimy condescension to everyone who disagrees with him, and triples it when he's wrong. Not worth talking to. Not the same guy anymore that he's found Religion.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Tangentially related is this FB update by Stephen King:

"What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 16, 2014, 03:12:04 PM
Tangentially related is this FB update by Stephen King:

"What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle."

Partially true.

We also breed like roaches.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.