News:

Heaven is a sausage party.

Main Menu

Re: Open Bar: RECOMMENDABLE

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, December 31, 2013, 04:38:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

TO ALL THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE WRITTEN COOL STUFF IN THE LAST FEW DAYS:

Thanks. It's good to see that, even if I've been sort of lacking myself.

Cain

I'm writing an invoice.

It's a very creative process, since I've never written one before, and I'm making it up as I go along.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Left

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on February 01, 2014, 04:29:39 PM
Quote from: Random anger problem on February 01, 2014, 09:02:39 AM
Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on February 01, 2014, 08:40:38 AM
in a broad sense, i just wanna help people be happier (at least that was the goal at the start) so at first i thought i'd be a counselor or therapist. That takes a masters and i'd probably end up fixing the same people with the same problems over and over again.
We crazy peeps are all unique little crazy snowflakes, methinks... :p

Crazy people do tend to think that, IME.
Well, they call us lunatics for a reason, eh? 
Obviously we're not *terrifically* different from one another, otherwise support groups would consist of people looking baffled at each other.
I was mostly kidding.
However, everyone a therapist treats is going to present a unique challenge to said therapist, right? 
To me? burnout from the stress would seem more likely than getting bored.
...But that depends on the person doing the shrinking,  I would guess.

You told me that it's not a good idea to go to college until you are really motivated to go, and I think that's probably good advice for CtB in regards to grad school.
...After 4 hours, I woke up with a pounding heart and pesky chest pains. 
I would like my body to stop freaking out and let me sleep a bit before work.  Not likely. *sigh*
Hope was the thing with feathers.
I smacked it with a hammer until it was red and squashy

Chelagoras The Boulder

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on February 01, 2014, 04:28:37 PM
in a broad sense, i just wanna help people be happier (at least that was the goal at the start) so at first i thought i'd be a counselor or therapist. That takes a masters and i'd probably end up fixing the same people with the same problems over and over again. So then, i thought, i'll be a teacher, that's less schooling, i just need a certificate and i can hopefully guide entire roomfuls of kids at once to make something of themselves. I didn't get into my teaching cert program, and part of that was the realization that becoming a teacher is such a bureaucratic mess of frustration that i didn't think i could hack it. So now i've graduated, i've passed my CBEST, so beyond substituting i'm not sure where i'm going with all this. Hell, to be honest, the most appealing course to me seems to be writing dick jokes for the internet, which makes me question why the fuck i spent all these years and took on student loans
Where do you live where you don't have to have a masters to teach? In Oregon and Washington you have to have a masters and annual continuing education to get re-certified every year. The irony, of course, is that with all that education, the administration and standardized testing strips them of almost all autonomy when it comes to actual teaching.
Here in California, it's at least a bachelors plus around 30 additional units for your certificate, tho it does also comes with the continuing education, re-certifying, and ironic lack of autonomy.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on February 01, 2014, 05:46:14 PM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on February 01, 2014, 04:28:37 PM
in a broad sense, i just wanna help people be happier (at least that was the goal at the start) so at first i thought i'd be a counselor or therapist. That takes a masters and i'd probably end up fixing the same people with the same problems over and over again. So then, i thought, i'll be a teacher, that's less schooling, i just need a certificate and i can hopefully guide entire roomfuls of kids at once to make something of themselves. I didn't get into my teaching cert program, and part of that was the realization that becoming a teacher is such a bureaucratic mess of frustration that i didn't think i could hack it. So now i've graduated, i've passed my CBEST, so beyond substituting i'm not sure where i'm going with all this. Hell, to be honest, the most appealing course to me seems to be writing dick jokes for the internet, which makes me question why the fuck i spent all these years and took on student loans
Where do you live where you don't have to have a masters to teach? In Oregon and Washington you have to have a masters and annual continuing education to get re-certified every year. The irony, of course, is that with all that education, the administration and standardized testing strips them of almost all autonomy when it comes to actual teaching.
Here in California, it's at least a bachelors plus around 30 additional units for your certificate, tho it does also comes with the continuing education, re-certifying, and ironic lack of autonomy.

I think it's ridiculous that people go to school for 6+ years to become experts in their field, only to have politicians and bureaucrats tell them how to do their job. It's like insurance companies making decisions about what kind of medical treatment patients should receive. What ever happened to letting experts make the decisions?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on February 01, 2014, 08:15:46 AM
What would anyone want to do with a psych BA?

I like to walk by mine on my way out of the bathroom and glower at it for costing me 150% more than my rent every month.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Junkenstein

Quote from: Cain on February 01, 2014, 05:03:39 PM
I'm writing an invoice.

It's a very creative process, since I've never written one before, and I'm making it up as I go along.

Make sure you include:

Remitttance address
Bank/payment details in full
Assign it a job number (date commissioned longhand works well, ie. 01202014(yes, american but makes filing/finding easier) works well for writing gigs, keep a file with correspondence instructing works just in case. Always.)
Due by date, if not pre-agreed state 14, 30 is standard 60 is fuck you and 90 is not getting paid. If not disputed/contested should be completed by this date. Makes chasing money or selling the debt much easier.
VAT, if applicable. Probably not for your setup currently?
All relevant contact details
Description of product/service. Rule of thumb, the more complicated the works the less detail needed. In this instance I'd suggest something like "Article titled X submitted to (person) on (date), published on (date).

More unsolicited advice at 11.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

All done.  Besides, the paid an hour ago, in my paypal account.  So all is good.

Cainad (dec.)

Cain, I just found your Dishonored playthrough. Looking forward to more.

Cain

Excellent.  I've got another two episodes already recorded and I may do some more tomorrow.  They, and the Dragon Age videos will be uploaded on Monday...I'm building up a backlog, as I'm doing an essay next week.  Also got interviews/possible job offers coming up.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on February 01, 2014, 05:58:18 PM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on February 01, 2014, 08:15:46 AM
What would anyone want to do with a psych BA?

I like to walk by mine on my way out of the bathroom and glower at it for costing me 150% more than my rent every month.

:lulz:

Salty

I am starting up a massage/wellness blog that will feed from Wordpress onto tumblr.
It will have a focus of breaking down modalities from an empirical perspective, and will analyze a poorly understood industry.

I wanted to see what you all think about a name. So far I am going with Empirical Massage, but I think there has to be a better name. Massage for Skeptics?

Thoughts?
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Salty

Hah! Look whose learned his lesson.

Got a prospective new tenant. Now, I could hop all over that and pay less rent myself.

But, having realized that people are more trouble than they are worth unless they prove otherwise, and that massage therapists are a bunch of flakes...

I say, "Ok we can meet at 10am this Friday. I will need your municipal massage license, your state business license, and proof of liability insurance before we sign."

"Ok," she said.

Come Friday, 8am, I get a text message saying she can't meet at 10 because she still needs some paperwork. Uh huh.

So I foolishly give her a pass. We meet at 11am. Still missing the proof of insurance. I STILL give her a pass and say, "Ok, email it to me and I will print it at home."

Today arrives, I have her keys. No email. Nothing.

So I tell her NOPE. She says, Oh you didn't get it? I sent it.

BAM email comes through.

Ha HA HA. NOPE. Now she won't stop texting me. TOO FUCKING BAD ASSCLOWN.

"But I am in dying need of space."

Well, then you should have worked harder to impress my ass. Dumbass.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Seriously, if someone is too big of a flake to take care of the shit they need to take care of WHEN they need to take care of it, they are going to be nothing but trouble.