News:

Testamonial:  "My god, you people are depressing."

Main Menu

How to Beat Procrastination

Started by Dildo Argentino, January 05, 2014, 10:03:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dildo Argentino

Part 1, Part 2

They are quite long, but interesting. As a person with a procrastination (acrasia, as discussed in philosophy) problem, I think that these articles are great as far as they go, that the author seems to have invented something quite close to Cognitive Behaviour Therapy and NLP, and that there's important ground he leaves untouched. I'd be very interested to hear other people's opinion about this. I will be on my best behaviour, I promise. Yes, I lied. I thought I could stay away, but I couldn't. I apologize.
Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

Reginald Ret

Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

LMNO

I'll click on those links tomorrow.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

The Good Reverend Roger

Hey, put me down for one abusive post that then tells me what a fine fellow I am.

(Not interested in the links, let's just cut to the end.)
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Procrastination is one of those problems for people who don't have real problems.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 05, 2014, 08:15:32 PM
Procrastination is one of those problems for people who don't have real problems.

Truth.

People who are on fire, for example, never procrastinate.  Nope.  They are Johnny on the fucking Spot.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 05, 2014, 08:17:35 PM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 05, 2014, 08:15:32 PM

Truth.

People who are on fire, for example, never procrastinate.  Nope.  They are Johnny on the fucking Spot.

Procrastination is for people with wiggle room. I procrastinate because I CAN. If I catch myself procrastinating, it's a fine reminder of just how good I have it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Like today. I've been doing all kinds of fiddly shit, like putting hooks in the bathroom and sorting through things to send to Goodwill, instead of reviewing last term's concepts and preparing for school to start tomorrow. In an hour or so I'll go to Fubonn and buy basic ingredients for Korean cooking.

Because I can. Procrastination is a pure fucking luxury. You know who doesn't procrastinate? Mexican day laborers. You will never see one of those guys sleeping in and surfing the internet instead of getting up at 4 am so he can be on Burnside at 5 ready to jump in some asshole's truck and be treated like crap and paid crap to do heavy labor nobody else wants to do.

Ben Shapiro

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 05, 2014, 09:21:51 PM
Like today. I've been doing all kinds of fiddly shit, like putting hooks in the bathroom and sorting through things to send to Goodwill, instead of reviewing last term's concepts and preparing for school to start tomorrow. In an hour or so I'll go to Fubonn and buy basic ingredients for Korean cooking.

Because I can. Procrastination is a pure fucking luxury. You know who doesn't procrastinate? Mexican day laborers. You will never see one of those guys sleeping in and surfing the internet instead of getting up at 4 am so he can be on Burnside at 5 ready to jump in some asshole's truck and be treated like crap and paid crap to do heavy labor nobody else wants to do.

Did I ever tell you how much I love you?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: 375 lbs of twisted steel and sex appeal on January 05, 2014, 09:23:44 PM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 05, 2014, 09:21:51 PM

Did I ever tell you how much I love you?

:thanks:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Those guys are the hardest-working motherfuckers in America. And their reward? To be paid shit and treated like common criminals.  It makes the Statue of Liberty cry.

Dildo Argentino

Actually, I think it is quite possible to have both. It is true that there is a certain class of urgent problems that manage to persuade even the most ardent procrastinators to put procrastination itself on the back burner, so to speak... but once the catastrophic events are averted, it is quite possible to go back to procrastination. Which is itself a real problem.

We could also call it the failure to learn self-control, or ignorance of the art of delayed gratification.

Dildo Argentino

I know the kind of labourer you mean, and I agree they are too busy to procrastinate. But I think the luxury angle is not all there is to it, as I've seen even people in pretty dire circumstances procrastinate endlessly and thereby making their own lives even worse. In fact, I've been that guy. What I think these very practical and objective and adult-sounding articles leave out is the question of the difference between procrastinators and those people who don't do that sort of thing.

Ben Shapiro

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 05, 2014, 09:30:58 PM
Those guys are the hardest-working motherfuckers in America. And their reward? To be paid shit and treated like common criminals.  It makes the Statue of Liberty cry.

To be fair they're getting the same treatment the Irish got when they arrived.