News:

PD.com: The combined word for "horror" and "mirth"

Main Menu

"Fairy Lights" / "UFOs" near Earthquake Faults

Started by Telarus, January 05, 2014, 10:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telarus

RAW wrote about "Fairy Lights" / "UFOs" near Earthquake Faults in a few of his books. Well, there some very interesting new science news around that...

http://thespacereporter.com/2014/01/scientists-solve-mystery-of-ufo-lights-that-appear-just-before-an-earthquake/
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Telarus on January 05, 2014, 10:14:17 PM
RAW wrote about "Fairy Lights" / "UFOs" near Earthquake Faults in a few of his books. Well, there some very interesting new science news around that...

http://thespacereporter.com/2014/01/scientists-solve-mystery-of-ufo-lights-that-appear-just-before-an-earthquake/

NEEEEAAAAAT!!!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Very cool to see an actual explanation for that.  :)

Is Marfa, TX on a fault line? (O PLS, O PLS...)  :lulz:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I always love it when someone finds an explanation for natural phenomena that Pagans have been using as "proof" of fairies or whatever. Especially because their logic usually goes "Nobody can explain it! Therefore magic!" :lol:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Telarus

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 06, 2014, 02:38:18 AM
I always love it when someone finds an explanation for natural phenomena that Pagans have been using as "proof" of fairies or whatever. Especially because their logic usually goes "Nobody can explain it! Therefore magic!" :lol:

When RAW brought this up in his books, the lights were always accompanied by WEIRD SHIT mental states in the direct witnesses (blonde aliens in nazi uniforms, etc). This massive electrical discharge may help to partially resolve that mystery.
Telarus, KSC,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Telarus on January 06, 2014, 03:24:56 AM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 06, 2014, 02:38:18 AM

When RAW brought this up in his books, the lights were always accompanied by WEIRD SHIT mental states in the direct witnesses (blonde aliens in nazi uniforms, etc). This massive electrical discharge may help to partially resolve that mystery.

Or he could have been using it as a convenient plot device.

Cain

Makes sense.

I mean, the other explanation is that UFOs/advanced alien beings are, despite mastering physics to the point that they can fly to another solar system and anonymously anal probe its inhabitants, do not understand earthquakes.

Which always seemed somewhat unlikely.  But then so does the whole alien explanation for the UFO phenomenon.

Telarus

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 06, 2014, 05:55:54 AM
Quote from: Telarus on January 06, 2014, 03:24:56 AM

Or he could have been using it as a convenient plot device.

Oh, it totally was a plot device. But he always used "real life" examples & reports for these fairy-lights + UFO experiences. (I looked a few up, as by that point I had caught on to RAW's "geurilla ontology" i.e. throw in some BS every once in a while that looks true because it "fits" with the previous examples.)

More info on the story over here:
http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2014/0106/Scientists-unravel-mysterious-earthquake-lights

This post mentions that until very recently, the scientific community wouldn't take reports of these seriously.
QuoteBut until recently, most seismologists didn't believe the earthquake lights were real because the reports were all anecdotal and hard to explain physically.

"Earthquake lights are totally underreported," said study co-author Friedemann Freund, a crystallographer at the NASA Ames Research Center in Mountain View, Calif., and San Jose State University. "They are often things that happen within a fraction of a second."

There's not always a person around to see them and when they do report them, they were often discounted by scientific journals, Freund said.

The advent of better documentation and video cameras has changed that. For instance, just before the earthquake that struck L'Aquila, Italy, in 2009, bystanders reported flames flickering up from the pavement. Video and eyewitness reports also described several weird light anomalies during the magnitude-8.0 earthquake in Pisco, Peru, in 2007. In one case in the early '70s, luminous drifting globes thought to be possible UFOs when they were observed in Canada's Yukon Territory later were linked to earthquake lights.
Telarus, KSC,

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Right, my point was that the "WEIRD SHIT mental states in the direct witnesses (blonde aliens in nazi uniforms, etc). This massive electrical discharge may help to partially resolve that mystery" may have been merely a plot device, because the books were, after all, fiction.

Based on true reports and everything, which may have come from the same sorts of sources such true reports often come from, of you care to do a little delving.

ie there have always been crazy people, god knows I have enough in my circle. It's terribly hard to determine whether geological phenomena trigger delusions or whether delusional people feed off of geological phenomena.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Or whether authors observe the intersection and go "Oh, I could totes use that in my book", which is essentially what RAW did.

Cain

Blatantly the case is that delusional people cause earthquakes.

LMNO

Mesozoic Mister Nigel