News:

PD.com: More merciless than a statue of Ming.

Main Menu

Dian Fossey

Started by hooplala, January 07, 2014, 05:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

I recall someone recently saying something about Diane Fossey having done more harm than good... I don't know a lot about her, except she apparently looked a lot like Ellen Ripley... can someone point me toward the bad stuff?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

hooplala

Ooh, I just found something:

QuoteSix months before her murder, AP East Africa Correspondent Barry Shlachter quoted Fossey in one of her last interviews as saying that she was habituating gorillas only to whites because blacks were the poachers.

That's, um... specious reasoning, hm?

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

hooplala

Also:

QuoteThey said Rwandans whom she suspected of poaching had been stripped and beaten with stinging nettles by Fossey, who removed their animist amulets, set fire to one villager's home and kidnapped their child, holding the little girl hostage for days.

Seems I may have answered my own question.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoopla on January 07, 2014, 05:21:34 PM
Also:

QuoteThey said Rwandans whom she suspected of poaching had been stripped and beaten with stinging nettles by Fossey, who removed their animist amulets, set fire to one villager's home and kidnapped their child, holding the little girl hostage for days.

She was only trying to have a good time.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

hooplala

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 07, 2014, 05:39:29 PM
Also:

It was really the kidnapping I was highlighting. I mean, if I had to justify every village I've burned down...

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoopla on January 07, 2014, 06:46:47 PM
Also:

It was really the kidnapping I was highlighting. I mean, if I had to justify every village I've burned down...

Stoney Creek is okay.  Everyone understood that one.

Also, Orangeville.  Everyone hated those fuckers.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

hooplala

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 07, 2014, 08:01:25 PM
Also:

Next up... Brantford!

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoopla on January 07, 2014, 09:43:17 PM
Also:

Next up... Brantford!

Very yes.  Make sure all the bones are properly crushed, or it doesn't count.

hooplala

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 07, 2014, 09:43:58 PM
Also:

Next up... Brantford!

You think that's snow blowing down from Canada, folks?  Haha!  It's the ground bones of my foes* in Sudbury!

*everyone

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoopla on January 07, 2014, 09:52:39 PM
Also:

Next up... Brantford!

You think that's snow blowing down from Canada, folks?  Haha!  It's the ground bones of my foes* in Sudbury!

*everyone

:lulz:

There are no people in Sudbury.  Just a gigantic nickel and mummified corpses.

hooplala

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 07, 2014, 09:54:08 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on January 07, 2014, 09:52:39 PM
Also:

Next up... Brantford!

*everyone

:lulz:

There are no people in Sudbury.  Just a gigantic nickel and mummified corpses.

There were.

Oh, there were.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The main thing she did was stir up a great deal of antagonism from regional villagers toward the movement to preserve the gorillas, and it's very likely that she caused many more killings than would have occurred if she had left well enough alone. Sapolsky wrote about her a bit.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 07, 2014, 09:58:41 PM
The main thing she did was stir up a great deal of antagonism from regional villagers toward the movement to preserve the gorillas, and it's very likely that she caused many more killings than would have occurred if she had left well enough alone. Sapolsky wrote about her a bit.

Extremism always winds up like that.

The Good Reverend Roger

Back off topic:  What is it about shitty little towns that put up huge Goddamn ridiculous monuments to stupid shit?  The giant nickel in Sudbury is almost as depressing as the big concrete cashew in Seguin.

hooplala

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 07, 2014, 10:01:00 PM
Back off topic:  What is it about shitty little towns that put up huge Goddamn ridiculous monuments to stupid shit?  The giant nickel in Sudbury is almost as depressing as the big concrete cashew in Seguin.

I think its the municipal version of a roadside attraction.  Except, without so much attraction.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman