News:

Testamonial:  "My god, you people are depressing."

Main Menu

classical music: more metal than metal

Started by tyrannosaurus vex, January 07, 2014, 05:45:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junkenstein

I would be quite surprised if Japan has not already done this.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

rong

I've found Pandora to be very helpful for discovering new music to listen to.  Maybe this would be a good resource for you?
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

EK WAFFLR

"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

El Sjaako

I know you said you weren't really into baroque, but this piece (and to be honest, up to now only this performance of it) just blew me away when I first heard it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LwWRe4rv04

East Coast Hustle

I'm on vacation and can't be arsed to read this whole thread to see if anyone's already mentioned it but seriously, Rachmaninov (sp?) or GTFO.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LMNO

Cain called out RAWKmoninov on the previous page, but it's always good to reiterate.

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: V3X on January 07, 2014, 11:11:38 PM
I like the idea of opera, but it doesn't work out so well in practice. It's just that they keep belting out their wobbley tones (...)

I asked an opera singer about those wobbly tones recently (because I don't see the point, either) - the explanation she offered is that the smooth, legato tone referred to as bel canto is pretty much a given: a singer has it or he/she doesn't. The other type of singing (the wobbley tones) can be developed a great deal by training.

I don't know how accurate that explanation is, but I liked it.
Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: holist on January 08, 2014, 08:21:15 PM
I like the idea of opera, but it doesn't work out so well in practice. It's just that they keep belting out their wobbley tones (...)

I asked an opera singer about those wobbly tones recently (because I don't see the point, either) - the explanation she offered is that the smooth, legato tone referred to as bel canto is pretty much a given: a singer has it or he/she doesn't. The other type of singing (the wobbley tones) can be developed a great deal by training.

So they do it because they have to learn how? What? Why? Just because it's hard? You're not supposed to make music because it is hard to do, you're supposed to do it because it sounds good.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

GrannySmith

Quote from: V3X on January 08, 2014, 09:54:24 PM

So they do it because they have to learn how? What? Why? Just because it's hard? You're not supposed to make music because it is hard to do, you're supposed to do it because it sounds good.

this!
  X  

EK WAFFLR

Quote from: V3X on January 08, 2014, 09:54:24 PM

Tell that to Joe Satriani.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

[/b]

EK WAFFLR

[/b]

tyrannosaurus vex

To be fair, very often music that sounds good is also very hard to perform. The world can handle only so many Nirvana albums, after all. But it is kind of ridiculous to say music is good just because it is hard to perform or arduous to learn. Anyone who believes that is both unimaginative and a closet masochist, and would benefit humanity more pretending to lose basketball games in North Korea.

Ben Shapiro

Quote from: Waffleman on January 09, 2014, 12:12:25 AM
Or any of the guys in Dream Theater.

Remember when the drummer left to join a Rock N Roll band? The fanbois came out of the wood-works for that butt hurt.

Nephew Twiddleton

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Also, not to be that guy but I think that "classical" is being used loosely here. Also, by wobbley vocals in opera, am I to take that as vibrato? (I also hate gratuitous vibrato in vocals. It's a spice, not a main ingredient).

That said, you said Mozart was ok. I suppose you have to narrow down what you want to hear. What about Mozart just makes him just ok or Beethoven only can take so much? Pleasing to the ear is relative. What is pleasing to your ear?

I have trouble listening to Mozart myself, since his stuff sounds, generally, not heavy enough. Beethoven sounds heavier.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: THE PHYTOPHTHORATIC HOLDER OF THE ADVANCED DEGREE on January 09, 2014, 02:24:31 AM
De gustibus non est disputandum.

Also, not to be that guy but I think that "classical" is being used loosely here. Also, by wobbley vocals in opera, am I to take that as vibrato? (I also hate gratuitous vibrato in vocals. It's a spice, not a main ingredient).

That said, you said Mozart was ok. I suppose you have to narrow down what you want to hear. What about Mozart just makes him just ok or Beethoven only can take so much? Pleasing to the ear is relative. What is pleasing to your ear?

I have trouble listening to Mozart myself, since his stuff sounds, generally, not heavy enough. Beethoven sounds heavier.

What I don't like about Mozart is, as you said, it's very "light." It's the musical embodiment of the word "dainty." It's pretty, but it has no gravitas. Beyond that, Mozart's harmonies are too predictable and there's no awesome counterpoint going on.

Beethoven is heavier, more substantive. But his music relies a little too much on scales and arpeggios to bridge between ideas - which makes it listenable but after a while it gets sort of monotonous. Also Beethoven's arrangements are predictable (intro/buildup -> hook -> noodling -> repeat twice -> hook 2 -> noodling -> next movement).

To put concisely what I'm looking for I guess it would be a classical music Frankenstein stitched together from the melodic and harmonic ability of Beethoven, the dynamic range of Brahms, and the get-to-the-fucking-hook-alreadyness of Metallica.