Principia Discordia > Techmology and Scientism

'kay, so, this singularity thing...

(1/17) > >>

P3nT4gR4m:
So I dunno if everyone's in on the theory or not but it's basically, moores law, extrapolated into the future, but applying to more than transistor thingamybob doubling, more sort of broadening to apply to scientific progress in general. So at some point in the future we reach an exponential skyrocket or precipice and either turn into gods or some shit or we all melt into gray goo.

So I heard about it years back and was all, like, "yadda yadda, what-evs, f'kin miles away but, yeah, sure maybe it'll go one of those ways if we survive the next couple of million years or so". So now I'm hearing some guru fuck, name of Kurtrzwell or something has said he reckons it's a decade and a half away or some shit and he's got "followers"

So now my bullshit detectors are flashing amber and I'm thinking, "lolz, it's the next utopia cult, going to get their heads lopped off and carbon frozen or some shit" so I watch some doc on youtube, all university dudes and I reckon I get the punchline already and I just want to hear the joke. Only nothing these guys are talking about seems impossible to me, only the timescales but, even then, those curves are heading practically vertically at some point. I dunno enough about the curvature-analysis to pass judgement on the timescale but I do know that exponential gets fucking massive really fucking quick once it gets going.

What I do know is that I've been present since the early days of this bullshit and I reckon I could have just about have imagined a future with devices like smartphones in it but only as a vague "video call" device from the 21st century. I'm pretty confident I have a handle on how some of this shit is going to develop over the next half dozen or so years but, beyond that? Fuck knows, man. Am I a believer?

Still desperately trying to keep my whole concept of belief down to a bare minimum, but I'm sure as hell feeling a lot more optimistic about the whole life-after-death or just plain never having to go through the death part at all.

That's a big old concept for me to wrap my head around. If my existence is eternal or, fuck it, even if it's going to be a thousand years or so, suddenly there is a long-term, goals and ambitions - scenario that hasn't been there since I was about 7 and worked out that Jesus was most probably bullshit.

Suddenly there's a worry about whacking myself accidentally before I can back up my brain or "upload" or whatever the fuck might be on it's way. Suddenly I find myself concerned about dying "too soon". Not much but a little niggling thing that wasn't there before, in the back of my mind, niggling.

Please, please, please peedee - blind me with science and tell me I can go back to not being even remotely phased by the concept of death because it's definitely going to happen to me, right?  :eek:

The Good Reverend Roger:

--- Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on January 07, 2014, 09:12:43 pm ---
Please, please, please peedee - blind me with science and tell me I can go back to not being even remotely phased by the concept of death because it's definitely going to happen to me, right?  :eek:

--- End quote ---

1.  It's "fazed".  I know you're a Scotsman, but still.

2.  The singularity is just the point in the future at which you can no longer make educated guesses about future technology and its impact on society.  There is no AI Jesus.

P3nT4gR4m:
I get the AI jesus thing, although, to be honest, I can't rule it out but I can envisage a metric fuckton of technologies which smart people are currently trying to invent, which would enable me to go for longer, indefinitely? How far away is some way of bridging the neurons in my brain and rerouting the information through artificial braincells? I can't imagine them doing it in the next ten years. The decade after that? Fuck if I know. Some drug that totally reprograms DNA and keeps me a healthy 25 or 30 years old, indefinitely. Next ten years? To be honest I know fuck all about that shit.

Meanwhile the world is changing in impossible to predict ways. Someone invents a nano replicator or atomic transmogrifier whatever. Suddenly scarcity based economics is rendered irrelevant. Bunch of other impossible to predict shit goes down. This is chaos run rampant. This is my idea of heaven. Not in my lifetime, right?  :argh!:

The Good Reverend Roger:

--- Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on January 07, 2014, 09:37:00 pm ---Someone invents a nano replicator or atomic transmogrifier whatever. Suddenly scarcity based economics is rendered irrelevant. Bunch of other impossible to predict shit goes down. This is chaos run rampant. This is my idea of heaven. Not in my lifetime, right?  :argh!:

--- End quote ---

Oil company buys the patent and sits on it.  Have some high-starch poor people food.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel:

--- Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 07, 2014, 09:18:10 pm ---
--- Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on January 07, 2014, 09:12:43 pm ---

--- End quote ---

1.  It's "fazed".  I know you're a Scotsman, but still.

2.  The singularity is just the point in the future at which you can no longer make educated guesses about future technology and its impact on society.  There is no AI Jesus.

--- End quote ---

Although I, personally, love the idea of having my memories and personality uploaded into a giant robot someday.

Hope hope hope.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version