News:

Bigotry is abound, apprently, within these boards.  There is a level of supposed tolerance I will have no part of.  Obviously, it seems to be well-embraced here.  I have finally found something more fucked up than what I'm used to.  Congrats. - Ruby

Main Menu

Unlimited Russia Thread

Started by outoftheloop, January 18, 2014, 05:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

outoftheloop

Felt like this thread should exist. Anything russia-related, innit.

Now, my Russia-related question:

WTF is happening in Russia. Putin (who makes me seriously question my scepticism towards the "reptiles control the world" conspiracies) has been acting so fucking sleezy and he's constantly getting away with it and manages to get framed as a "good guy" in the end. He's basically abolishing state-church separation to frame a scapegoat of the LGBT community and galvinizing people in the country. Even worse, his propaganda is strong in other places too, especially ex-communist countries, where everyone who says anything against the official stance of the government is being framed as a "foreign agent of those western bastards that just want to fuck us over". And while all of this is terrible, the explenation of "Putin is an evil reptile" doesn't really cut it. So, could any of you politically savvy spags (I'm looking at you Cain) explain to me what the purpose and context behind his actions is (apart from "MOAR POWER TO GLORIOUS MOTHER RUSSIA").

thanks. 
innit safe, fam?

Cain

Uh, do I know you?

Because I've just spent the last week reading about 60 different papers, and writing a high level piece of work on quantitative research issues (7 hours just today).  So I'm not especially inclined to go into a long history of Russia's cultural-political preferences and the post-KGB career of Vladimir Putin, most of which you could find out for yourself with some time on Wikipedia, some medium-brow magazines like The Atlantic or Harpers and a dose of common sense

Cain

And, I'd just like to note, the person who posted this has not logged back in since before I replied.  So, if I or anyone else had done an indepth post about Russia, the spag wouldn't have read it anyway.

The Good Reverend Roger

Meh.  He called you out, then ran away.

I'm shocked.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

True.  It's nice to have one's suspicions confirmed, though.

outoftheloop

So is it just a matter of Russia being empirialistic as fuck and trying to get all of the ex-commie countries on their side? Which I'm guessing is related to their gas-distribution schemes. I guess my question is more something like "Do you think that Russia is doing this just for the sake of obtaining more financial/territorial/political power, or is the obtainment of more power a required step/preparation for something else?"
innit safe, fam?

Random Probability

Quote from: outoftheloop on January 23, 2014, 02:09:08 PM
So is it just a matter of Russia being empirialistic as fuck and trying to get all of the ex-commie countries on their side? Which I'm guessing is related to their gas-distribution schemes. I guess my question is more something like "Do you think that Russia is doing this just for the sake of obtaining more financial/territorial/political power, or is the obtainment of more power a required step/preparation for something else?"

I've noticed you do a lot of guessing.

I'm going to second Cain's suggestion that you go read wikipedia or something.

srsly

whenhellfreezes

Quote from: Random Probability on January 23, 2014, 06:43:32 PM
Quote from: outoftheloop on January 23, 2014, 02:09:08 PM

I've noticed you do a lot of guessing.

I'm going to second Cain's suggestion that you go read wikipedia or something.

srsly

Guessing is bad? I guess I better be real sure of myself before talking.

Salty

No, don't guess, be certain of that fact. I am, that and clean living made me the well adjusted human I am today.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

whenhellfreezes

Quote from: Alty on January 24, 2014, 12:29:12 AM
No, don't guess, be certain of that fact. I am, that and clean living made me the well adjusted human I am today.

Oops. I am just trying so hard to fit in. Hey cain you know all about politics and such and things. Tell me everything. EVERYTHING.

Salty

Quote from: whenhellfreezes on January 24, 2014, 12:39:01 AM

Oops. I am just trying so hard to fit in. Hey cain you know all about politics and such and things. Tell me everything. EVERYTHING.

:troll:

You fuckers need to try harder,

whenhellfreezes

Quote from: Alty on January 24, 2014, 01:00:13 AM

Just wait, I need cain to get here so I can show you how smart I am.

Salty

Quote from: whenhellfreezes on January 24, 2014, 01:21:58 AM

Why yes, repeating the same tired shit WILL make it funny. At some point.

Probably.

Salty

Do you guys smell ancient butthurt in the form of a sockpuppet?

It is THICK, ITT.

whenhellfreezes

Quote from: Alty on January 24, 2014, 03:34:51 AM
Quote from: whenhellfreezes on January 24, 2014, 01:21:58 AM

Why yes, repeating the same tired shit WILL make it funny. At some point.

Probably.

Whelp, I was having fun though it was repetitive.

Quote from: Alty on January 24, 2014, 03:37:16 AM
Do you guys smell ancient butthurt in the form of a sockpuppet?

It is THICK, ITT.

Some fun restored.  :lulz: