News:

You know what I always say? "Always kill the mouthy one", that's what I always say.

Main Menu

Could we make things that don't explode?

Started by Trivial, January 21, 2014, 01:25:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trivial

Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

The Good Reverend Roger

"We have enough regulation already."
- John Boehner.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Suu

When was the last time this one was inspected?
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Suu on January 21, 2014, 01:51:54 AM
When was the last time this one was inspected?

The inspections they failed, you mean?

QuoteRecords of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, which will be in charge of the investigation, show that International Nutrition has been fined at least twice before for safety violations: first in August of 2002, after a rotating part killed an employee who fell in a mixing tank, and again in January 2012 after a safety inspection identified six "serious" violations.

The company, which makes animal supplements and food products, hasn't commented.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2014/01/20/22373508-two-dead-in-omaha-plant-explosion?lite

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Left

Hope was the thing with feathers.
I smacked it with a hammer until it was red and squashy

Junkenstein

Clearly the work of terrorists you unpatriotic bastards.

OSHA regs stand in the way of unfettered profit, demanding anything else is quite simply, Communist.

In other news, I remembered the Texas one saw this:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/05/16/us-usa-explosion-texas-idUSBRE94F0Q120130516 (Note Date - may 2013)

QuoteBryce Reed, a paramedic who was among the first responders at the explosion site, was arrested last week for possession of pipe bomb components. He was indicted by a federal grand jury in Waco on Tuesday and pleaded not guilty to the charge on Wednesday after agreeing to defer his detention hearing, federal prosecutors said.

State officials have said no evidence linked Reed's arrest to the plant disaster. Federal authorities said they will not speculate on a possible connection

http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2013/12/former-west-paramedic-to-learn-whether-hell-face-jail-time-for-pipe-bomb-charge.html/ (December 2013)

QuoteFormer West paramedic Bryce Reed was sentenced to 21 months in federal prison Wednesday.

Reed faced a maximum of 25 years in prison, but U.S. District Judge Walter S. Smith agreed to reduce the terms because the pipe bomb materials weren't actually assembled into a destructive device. That lowered the sentencing range to 15 to 21 months, and the judge opted for the maximum of that range — 21 months for each count, to be served concurrently.

Afterward, Reed said he thought the sentencing was "fair." He faced up to 25 years in prison.

Jonathan Sibley, Reed's attorney, said the pipe bomb materials were ordered online to make a homemade firework for entertainment. He said it wasn't intended to harm anyone or any property.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2013/10/29/2851951/west-texas-explosion-shutdown/ (October 2013)

QuoteStaff furloughs at the Chemical Safety Board during the shutdown delayed its investigative work into the fertilizer plant explosion in West, TX that killed 15 in April, Board spokeswoman Hillary Cohen told the Huffington Post. Its preliminary findings on the cause of the explosion were set to be presented at a public hearing on October 24, which had to be postponed and now won't happen until early 2014.
The cause of the West Fertilizer Co. explosion is still unknown six months later.

So a Paramedic attending the scene can be investigated and brought to book on an unrelated crime but during this time no-one can figure out how the thing went bang. Suspicious minds would think that they were looking to place the blame on this guy. The kicker?

QuoteThe Huffington Post also reports that the shutdown has pushed back new chemical safety rules President Obama authorized in response to the explosion by at least a month. In August, Obama issued an executive order for federal agencies "to update regulations and coordinate on initiatives that would improve safety at chemical facilities across the country," HuffPost reports. It included forming a new Chemical Facility Safety and Security Working Group with officials from the Environmental Protection Agency, the Department of Labor, and the Department of Homeland Security. More than 4,000 chemical facilities around the country pose a risk to populations similar to that of West, and 90 could impact more than 1 million people in a worst-case scenario. Public listening sessions on chemical safety were also pushed back.
The actual plant is facing $118,300 in federal fines for two dozen serious safety violations, including the lack of an emergency response plan, despite costing more than a dozen lives and $100 million in property damage.

The only logical thing to do is take bets on where and what explodes next.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The "components" to assemble a pipe bomb concerns me, because I don't know what those components would be yet I would not be at all surprised if amongst all the crap in my basement, I too have the "components" to build bombs.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Why are they fining this company? If I killed a dozen people and caused over $100 million in property damage in Texas, I would be tried and ultimately executed. A corporate "person" does it, and they get fined for pocket change? That's such bullshit. I propose that the corporation be tried, and if found guilty, it should be executed.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Junkenstein

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 21, 2014, 05:27:18 PM
The "components" to assemble a pipe bomb concerns me, because I don't know what those components would be yet I would not be at all surprised if amongst all the crap in my basement, I too have the "components" to build bombs.

What concerns me is that various household chemicals can easily be converted to chemical weapons*. Everyone who owns cleaning products could potentially done under terrorism legislation if you can show the owner had intent. Throw a copy of the anarchists cookbook under anyone's sink and you can pretty much do what you want to the "suspect". Could be useful for making all sorts of undesirable people vanish.

*whether they are able to "work" or not, will surely not be relevant.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 21, 2014, 05:27:18 PM

And if you have any kind of political or religious tracts in your house...well, then you're truly fucked.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on January 21, 2014, 09:20:01 PM

And if you have any kind of political or religious tracts in your house...well, then you're truly fucked.

I am doomed.

I'm a bit of a collector.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I figure that they pretty much already have the power to jail anyone at any time for no particular reason, so they probably wouldn't bother, unless they wanted to make you look bad for some reason.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 21, 2014, 09:56:34 PM
I figure that they pretty much already have the power to jail anyone at any time for no particular reason, so they probably wouldn't bother, unless they wanted to make you look bad for some reason.

Point.

ETA:  And if they need to gin up a scare, they'll just plant the shit anyway.