News:

PD.com: can increase your susceptibility to cancer, dementia, heart disease, diabetes, influenza, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus - even the common cold.

Main Menu

Anybody look at Ukraine lately?

Started by Random Probability, January 23, 2014, 12:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junkenstein

Quote from: Cain on April 08, 2014, 11:36:20 AM
I'm also exceedingly amused at how anti-government protestors seizing buildings and taking control of cities is being treated as horrifying mob action Russian terrorism by the western press.

Um, do you even remember two months ago?

Well, no. The media is kind of invested in you not really remembering what happened 2 days ago, let alone months. I'm kind of expecting a load of "Woah shit, chemical weapons in Syria Bro! You heard about this?" any day now.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

Russia is alleging American mercenaries from Greystone Ltd are operating in Ukraine under the auspices of Ukrainian Special Forces.  Greystone used to be their own private military company, but they now operate under Blackwater...or Academi, as they are currently known.

Interestingly, GREYSTONE is allegedly the CIA designation for compartmentalized counter-terrorism operations and related covert activities in the wake of 9/11.  Coincidence, but interesting.

Junkenstein

These naming styles could really drive someone to paranoia. If they weren't already, of course.

The allegations could certainly hold some merit. A PMC running snipers would seem as plausible to me as disaffected nationals.

Is there a mercenary outfit of choice for Russia or do they just tend to use in-house killers? Can't help but think that if there's one outfit operating, there's probably at least one more out there as a counter to them.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

There's a few, yes, and more than a few rumours have said they are currently operating in Ukraine.  Most Russian mercs cut their teeth fighting in Chechnya...being in Crimea must be a hell of a nice change for them.

Nothing as big as heavy hitters like Aegis and DynCorp though.

LMNO

Wait, Blackwater is Academi, now?  What happened to Xi?

Was it Xi?  Something with an "X" in it, I think.

Cain

Close, it was Xe.

After Erik Prince sold the company, private investors changed the name to try and remove the stigma of past corporate actions.  Obviously, not very sucessfully.

LMNO

Reminds me of the apartment at the end of American Psycho.  Just paint the walls, air out the room, no one will ever be the wiser.

Junkenstein

Today's game of "Let's keep a straight face" is this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26982173
QuoteThe US has accused Russia of using its energy supplies "as a tool of coercion" to try to control Ukraine.

Article contains many more things that the USA certainly doesn't do, all the fucking time, everywhere.

Junkenstein

Also, shit's getting medieval round some parts there:

Cain

Greystone has responded to claims it is operating in Ukraine with denial.

As for the guy in armour...well, there's a very interesting history of guys in armour in that part of the world.  I don't know what his excuse is, but look up the "Teutonic Knights" and the "Livonian Brothers of the Sword".  These groups, though obscure, do play a significant role in the identity of several groups in the region.  Catholicism versus Orthodox, east versus west, the Novgorod Republic, the creation of Prussia, Russian imperialism...all can be traced back at least as far as these groups.

Junkenstein

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-27030652

Article has relatively little of substance, Obama and Putin had a phone call essentially.

This map is interesting though:

QuoteMap: Ukraine
The map shows towns where pro-Russian activists have seized buildings

Surely going to get worse yet before progress.

Are we to assume Greystone's denial is pretty much worthless? It's not like they would tell people if they did have killers knocking around the place.

Cain

I'm fairly sure we can take the word of the worst convergence of corporate America and hired killers at face value.

And yes.  The problem is, I don't think this is necessarily off-duty Russian troops popping over the border for a bit of violence and fun.  This actually does reflect sentiment in those areas, and is in response to the viciously Russophobic sentiment in Kiev.

While Russian's not a language I'm fluent in, I am fluent in how people in violent situations think, and I would not be surprised to discover the more extreme elements of Ukrainian nationalism decrying Russian speakers as Putin's 5th column in the country...because that's the kind of retarded statement nationalist idiots make all over the globe in such situations. 

There's also the credibility gap that exists between the (unelected) government in Kiev and the elected officials in control of the regions and cities in the east.  The government has tried to close that gap by appointing governors and mayors, but as you can imagine, that is really not going down well.

Fortunately, Right Sector have had a major falling out with the government in Kiev, with some gangland style killings going down.  My feeling is that someone in the provisional government or Parliament finally figured out an independent paramilitary force with political ambitions was not best left to its own devices, and instead was better dealt with before it decided to pull a Reichstag fire scenario.  Just as well, or we might be seeing Right Sector auxilaries supporting the Berkut in suppressing the protestors and insurgents.

Cain

This is, however, moving dangerously close to a civil war scenario.  The kind of scenario we really don't want, because if Ukrainian suppression of Russophones is severe enough, it will probably provoke a terroristic response, which will respond in an even more brutal crackdown until the spiral of violence justifies a Russian intervention under the Medvedev doctrine ("All Russians will be protected by the Russian state, regardless of location").

Junkenstein

Hmm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27122008

QuoteTony Blair has warned Western leaders they must put aside their differences with Russia over Ukraine to focus on the threat of Islamic extremism.

In a speech the former UK prime minister - now a Middle East envoy - said powerful nations must "take sides" and back "open-minded" groups.

Mr Blair told the BBC ahead of the speech the West would pay a "very heavy price" for not intervening in Syria.

He said the opportunity to create "an optimistic solution" had been missed.

It's been a few years now and Blair is STILL shilling for the arms industry. I'd be shocked if it hadn't been his day job for decades.

Cain

I think Blair is just upset he cannot figure out a way to make Ukraine part of the Middle East, and so come under his jurisdiction as the Quartet "Special Envoy".

Which, incidentally, he's been doing a smashing job as.  The Middle East has been a lot more peaceful since Blair took over as the Quartet's representative there. Har har har.