News:

Oceana has always been at war with Iraq

Main Menu

Anybody look at Ukraine lately?

Started by Random Probability, January 23, 2014, 12:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junkenstein

http://www.nytimes.com/video/world/europe/100000002729580/declaring-victory-in-kiev.html?playlistId=1194811622213

A video walkaround of the Presidential residence.

For fun, compare and contrast with walkarounds of other dictators. Things needlessly plated in gold? Extensive sporting facilities that you obviously never use? Imported goods from the west? Check, check and check.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

Palin was only right on a technicality.  I mean, she successfully predicted a Russian invasion of Ukraine in 2008.  The political situation now is very different to back then, and the reason she gives is stupid (we should've gone to war over Georgian aggression, really?).

Cain

As an aside, Russian intervention is a clear violation of international law.  A crisis in a neighbouring state gives no legal right for another state to intervene, even if they do have military bases there.  Should those bases be violated, they of course have the right to defend themselves, and such actions could lead to war, but that's not the same thing.

Of course, NATO can hardly legitimately criticise illegal interventions in foreign states.  Kosovo, Iraq, Libya, the near-attempt on Syria...need I go on?

Junkenstein

Quote from: Cain on March 03, 2014, 11:46:15 AM
Palin was only right on a technicality.  I mean, she successfully predicted a Russian invasion of Ukraine in 2008.  The political situation now is very different to back then, and the reason she gives is stupid (we should've gone to war over Georgian aggression, really?).

Quite right, I was more amused by the fact that Palin had been right about, well, anything. Even if it was only technically.

It will be interesting to see the media reactions to Russia's actions. I mean, there's obviously no similarities at all to western-led actions.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Random Probability

Quote from: Junkenstein on March 03, 2014, 11:58:25 AM

Quite right, I was more amused by the fact that Palin had been right about, well, anything. Even if it was only technically.

It will be interesting to see the media reactions to Russia's actions. I mean, there's obviously no similarities at all to western-led actions.

Sarah Palin: the political equivalent to a stopped clock being correct twice a day...

Telarus

So using that anytime the Palin quote comes up.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

The Good Reverend Roger

HO HO!  You hippies are IN FOR IT NOW!  Sarah Palin could snap you in half just by flexing her ovaries.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Random Probability

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 03, 2014, 03:29:39 PM

HO HO!  You hippies are IN FOR IT NOW!  Sarah Palin could snap you in half just by flexing her ovaries.

I think I've watched too many Lisa Ann movies.  I have the weirdest erection right now.... :fap:

Cain

Back to the snipers:

QuoteWhat provided the rationale for the coup d'état was the killing of demonstrators by uniformed snipers, blamed on the previous government. The overthrown president, who has since fled to Russia, was accused of mass murder, and the new government demanded his extradition (a dumb move, since Russia's constitution forbids extradition). But there are serious questions about this interpretation of events: the special forces were never issued rifles and were never ordered to open fire on the protesters; there were quite a few special forces members themselves among those killed; the killings were carried out in such a manner as to incite rather than quell protest, by targeting women, bystanders and those assisting the wounded. The killings were followed by a professionally orchestrated public relations campaign, complete with a catchy name—"Heaven's Hundred" ("Небесная сотня")—complete with candlelight vigils, rapid clean-up and laying of wreaths at the scene of the crime and so on.

The Ukrainian Army's training isn't exactly brilliant, but I would hope even they would realise that, if you're going to deploy snipers to clear a protest, you would take out the Right Sector and Svoboda elements first, the hardcore violent elements.

Junkenstein

Well, would you? Militants have their uses and having them act for you is surely more beneficial than having to fight against them. I'm thinking this mainly because the Ukrainian army needs some allies and they're not exactly in a position to be picky about who.

The other angle here is that is seems to be deliberately provocative. To me, that would imply there's more than a few parties who stand to gain from this escalating further in the short/mid term. Going after medics and bystanders is pretty much assuring that this will continue.

Can't help but wonder if the snipers are actually Ukrainian at all. It would be difficult for me to rule out foreign actors in this case given how much other nations have invested in the Ukraine's decisions. Bullets are a very cheap way to influence public opinion.

The Johnny

The death of one person is a tragedy. The death of 100 is a PR campaign.

Im not surprised, im just disgusted by being reminded how low politics can go.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Cain

OK, I am extremely suspicious of this phonecall and the circumstances in which it came to light.  However, it suggests that the EU is taking the allegation of shootings committed by opposition supporters very seriously

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEgJ0oo3OA8

You have to skip to 8 and a half minutes ahead.

I believe their source on this, this "Olga" they reference, is Olga Bogomolets, who treated victims of the sniper attacks in Maidan.

Junkenstein

Potentially a viable tactic though. Create enough strife to force the EU to reconsider whether you're actually wanted in the club. While that debate happens, Russia stands quietly with open arms and a sweet enough deal for the leaders to take.

Cain

Oh yes, some FSB goon almost certainly had a role in this tape getting released.  Assuming it's a real tape, and these aren't voice actors or someone's done some clever editing or similar.  It's never too wise to underestimate the FSB in matters of deception operations.  Or US intelligence, for that matter.

I would give it a day.  Catherine Ashton is, surprisingly, a fairly straight shooter, and if she doesn't deny it, then the chances are the tape is legit.  Which still leaves the question of them discussing a report second hand.  I'd like to see if Olga Bogomolets could be interviewed about these allegations in greater detail.

Junkenstein

For some reason I have a horrible feeling that she's going to have a terrible accident if even a chunk of that could be verified by her.