News:

If it quacks like a sociopath, but also ponders its own sociopathy, it's probably just an asshole.

Main Menu

Alabama outdoes even Arizona. Holy shit.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, January 30, 2014, 04:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIRâ„¢
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Johnny

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 30, 2014, 11:34:58 PM
Quote from: Tiddleywomp Cockletit on January 30, 2014, 11:30:12 PM
I'm more inclined to go with "century of the Yahoo".

Trust me...The next 9 months are going to be fucking insane.

For unspeakable reasons i read that "within 9months things are going to be insane" and i imagined something like Joe Biden pregnant with the republican Chosen Onetm (a talking baby elephant).
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Cain

Quote from: Tiddleywomp Cockletit on January 31, 2014, 06:28:28 AM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 31, 2014, 04:16:49 AM
It's the era of clickbait. EVERYTHING is clickbait, these days.

That explains SO MUCH.

Fuck.

It does.  Clickbait is the fuel which fires the Twitter storm which gains "opinion makers" social currency which allows them to obtain an audience, for whom they will write clickbait to....

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on January 31, 2014, 04:16:49 AM
It's the era of clickbait. EVERYTHING is clickbait, these days.

Yes, well, in this case I felt like I just watched Paul Bunyan beat up his wife or some shit.  That was the ACLU, after all, and they've always been pretty damn careful with their reputation for avoiding sensationalism (mostly because of what their primary purpose is).

So you read that article, and you go all ragey.  Except for Binks (Bearman's more-or-less sister in law), who pointed out the following piece from the bill itself:

Quote(4) HEALTH CARE SERVICE. Any phase of patient
4 medical care, treatment or procedure that is limited to
5 abortion, human cloning, human embryonic stem cell research,
6 and sterilization, and is related to: Patient referrals,
7 counseling, therapy, testing, diagnosis or prognosis,
8 research, instruction, prescribing, dispensing or
9 administering any device, drug, or medication, surgery, or any
10 other care or treatment rendered or provided by health care
11 providers.

But it ALSO says:

Quote(b) No health care provider shall be civilly,
12 criminally, or administratively liable for declining to
13 participate in a health care service that violates his or her
14 conscience except when failure to do would immediately
15 endanger the life of a patient.

AND

Quote(d) Notwithstanding any other provision in this act,
4 in a life-threatening situation where no other health care
5 provider is available or capable of providing or participating
6 in a health care service, a health care provider shall provide
7 and participate in treatment, care, or procedures until an
8 alternate health care provider capable of providing or
9 participating in the emergency treatment, care, or procedures
10 is found or otherwise becomes available.

AND EVEN

QuoteSection 7. The provisions of this act shall not
9 apply to health care institutions or employers who are
10 licensed by the State of Board of Health as abortion clinics.

So, what's the takeaway from all this?  I forgot the DNT rule, and listened, uncritically, to a source.  Doesn't matter what source, because you can't trust anyone for shit when it comes to the news.  Fortunately, Binks was there to put me on the straight and narrow, and not by saying people wouldn't be crazy enough to pass insane laws, but by pointing out that a 5 minute read would have demonstrated that this bill - while it may be bullshit - isn't batshit.

So, scratch the ACLU.  That sucks.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Johnny on January 31, 2014, 10:10:10 AM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 30, 2014, 11:34:58 PM
Quote from: Tiddleywomp Cockletit on January 30, 2014, 11:30:12 PM
I'm more inclined to go with "century of the Yahoo".

Trust me...The next 9 months are going to be fucking insane.

For unspeakable reasons i read that "within 9months things are going to be insane" and i imagined something like Joe Biden pregnant with the republican Chosen Onetm (a talking baby elephant).

Why would Joe Biden have a republican baby?   :?

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Cain

That is pretty bad.  I expected better from the ACLU myself.

I'm sure I remember reading something about there being some strange turns in the ACLU's leadership of late, but since I read so much these days, I cannot remember exactly what.  I remember being unimpressed if it were true, but without the time to follow it up.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on January 31, 2014, 02:04:34 PM
That is pretty bad.  I expected better from the ACLU myself.

I'm sure I remember reading something about there being some strange turns in the ACLU's leadership of late, but since I read so much these days, I cannot remember exactly what.  I remember being unimpressed if it were true, but without the time to follow it up.

Well, they went straight from integrity to The Daily Mail without passing go. 

Cain

Ah, that was it: Wendy Kaminer, who was on the board of the Massachusetts ACLU board, resigned a few years back, claiming that Anthony Romero, the executive director of the ACLU, was becoming a control freak, and was far more interested in using his position in a political manner than to support civil liberties.  She believes the ACLU is on a trajectory to become just another liberal interest group, reliably supporting liberal interests and letting civil liberties go by the wayside if the people in question have the wrong values.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on January 31, 2014, 02:18:51 PM
Ah, that was it: Wendy Kaminer, who was on the board of the Massachusetts ACLU board, resigned a few years back, claiming that Anthony Romero, the executive director of the ACLU, was becoming a control freak, and was far more interested in using his position in a political manner than to support civil liberties.  She believes the ACLU is on a trajectory to become just another liberal interest group, reliably supporting liberal interests and letting civil liberties go by the wayside if the people in question have the wrong values.

Well, she was apparently correct.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division