News:

News:  0 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765 10946 17711 28657, motherfuckers.

Main Menu

CEO follows Ayn Rand's advice, mysteriously fails as businessman

Started by Cain, February 18, 2014, 10:09:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Johnny on February 26, 2014, 01:11:31 AM

Sunk cost fallacy, anyone?

I would bail on Mexico, but idk if i want to leave family behind.

My problem is that my parents aren't getting any younger.  Odds are that if I left now, I'd never see them alive again.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 26, 2014, 03:39:55 PM

My problem is that my parents aren't getting any younger.  Odds are that if I left now, I'd never see them alive again.

Yeah, that wouldn't be so cool.

Unless you could take them with you.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on February 26, 2014, 05:03:05 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 26, 2014, 03:39:55 PM

Yeah, that wouldn't be so cool.

Unless you could take them with you.

No, the climate wouldn't agree with them.  They're happy here.  They are, obviously, clinically insane.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Pergamos

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It's true. There are loads and loads of research (Zimbardo's 30 years of research into why people do evil) that indicate that people are allll about cooperating.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

One of the things I MOST like about Discordians, actually, is you fuckers' willingness to be the lone dissenter.

http://www.apa.org/research/action/order.aspx

The Johnny

Quote from: Pergamos on February 28, 2014, 10:07:19 PM
http://www.broadsnark.com/cooperation-is-the-problem/

Cooperation is not only in our nature, it is often the problem

Well, thats a bit of curve ball... first of all, its apples and oranges, because economics and judicial issues have different conveyance of what possibly can be "cooperation"... because id call the portrayals of jury behaviour more indifference towards the outcome for a third party and submission to court directives, which can be interpreted as short sighted egocentrism rather than cooperation.

Its kind of funny, the connotation of "cooperation" in a lot of contexts, particuarly with domestic spying and anything judiciary implies "spreading your buttcheeks wide open and let them do whatever they want"... oh? the en-esss-ayee wants all the logs of interactions and communications from your customers? well, were COOPERATING by giving all that info away without resistance! How about unlawful searchs without warrants? oh were just COOPERATING.

In my world id still like to think that cooperating does not mean getting down on one's knees and sucking dick for whomever demands it, but rather doing actions towards a common goal that benefits everyone involved.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Pergamos

Economically cooperaton often takes the form of cartels and trusts.  Both of which are disturbingly common.