News:

PD.com: Living proof that just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Main Menu

This god damned Woody Allen thing,

Started by Salty, February 10, 2014, 01:58:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salty

The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Ben Shapiro

Wasn't Michael Jackson just a case of yellow journalism over and over again? Didn't one of the kids confess the parents made him lie about it?

Salty

Didn't two of the jurors admit they were pressured into their verdict by the others? Didn't they both have book deals? Didn't everyone want to believe that that deeply psycholgically damaged icon of decades could never, ever possibly do anything wrong?

Salty

Here is the truth:

We humble peons will never know what happened behind closed doors between to strange meatbags.

We do not know.

But our culture is deeply immersed in the avoidence of openly villainizing victims of sexual abuse. This causes thousands and thousands of unreported incidences.

I am not one to make assumptions off incomplete data if I can help it, but these are things that bear consideration.

Ben Shapiro

Maybe the fans see themselves as the accuser, and think that could be me. Think of how when the pre-rich defend corporations.

Salty

Yes, they feel they own a part of that person. That it is the best of thenselves who are at risk if being defamed.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Alty on February 10, 2014, 03:10:38 AM
I have noticed a trend we Discordians tend to share:

We eschew these new modern gods, celebrities, for an old one who speaks to us.

But the bulk of the worlds clings to the lives and actions of entertainers. They live and breathe their words, actions, songs; their lives are considered public property. This is not to be discounted, and I don't think  we fully realize the full impact they have on humanity as a whole.

We can ignore that because it is stupid, but we cannot ignore the effects for long.

We often forget that Hollywood is in the business of giving America what it wants. It is a magnifying mirror held up to our culture.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: /b/earman on February 10, 2014, 04:30:34 AM
Wasn't Michael Jackson just a case of yellow journalism over and over again? Didn't one of the kids confess the parents made him lie about it?

Isn't your question a symptom of the fact that we will go to extraordinary lengths and spectacular intellectual gymnastics in order to seek ways to exonerate the rich, famous, and powerful men in our society?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Salty

I am glad for it, it is a clear example of the larger problem. It is exactly that which I woukd like to bring attention to.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Alty on February 10, 2014, 04:42:14 AM
Here is the truth:

We humble peons will never know what happened behind closed doors between to strange meatbags.

We do not know.

But our culture is deeply immersed in the avoidence of openly villainizing victims of sexual abuse. This causes thousands and thousands of unreported incidences.

I am not one to make assumptions off incomplete data if I can help it, but these are things that bear consideration.

Well, and that really is the interesting thing, isn't it? The fact that America so badly yearns for Woody Allen to be exonerated that it openly latches onto the story that Mia Farrow is a terrible, vindictive brainwashing bitch, that it is not Woody, who had an affair with and then married Farrow's daughter, who tore the family apart, but that conniving, jealous, false-memory-planting witch Farrow. It was her, it was all her fault.

This is the same story we've been fed about the balance of blame when abuse happens for centuries. She was asking for it. He wouldn't have had to do it if she hadn't made him. If Mommy hadn't been a cold fish in bed, Daddy wouldn't have turned to little Jenny to have his needs met. It was her fault. HER fault. HER FAULT.

Ben Shapiro

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velvet Skin Sacs on February 10, 2014, 04:53:09 AM

Isn't your question a symptom of the fact that we will go to extraordinary lengths and spectacular intellectual gymnastics in order to seek ways to exonerate the rich, famous, and powerful men in our society?

Probably? I do remember people stopped caring after new accusations were coming out. To the point it numbed and trivilized accusations of child molestation. So the media won?

Salty

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velvet Skin Sacs on February 10, 2014, 04:57:48 AM
Here is the truth:

We do not know.

Well, and that really is the interesting thing, isn't it? The fact that America so badly yearns for Woody Allen to be exonerated that it openly latches onto the story that Mia Farrow is a terrible, vindictive brainwashing bitch, that it is not Woody, who had an affair with and then married Farrow's daughter, who tore the family apart, but that conniving, jealous, false-memory-planting witch Farrow. It was her, it was all her fault.

This is the same story we've been fed about the balance of blame when abuse happens for centuries. She was asking for it. He wouldn't have had to do it if she hadn't made him. If Mommy hadn't been a cold fish in bed, Daddy wouldn't have turned to little Jenny to have his needs met. It was her fault. HER fault. HER FAULT.

Yes. And it is so simple and easy to do!

I spoke with my father a few weeks ago.

"Now I am not trying to talk bad about your mom. But she could have done a better job of.letting me know where you were."

Where I was, in Anchorage, AK for 20+ years. Yeah.

So easy to blame the women who broke your poor, poor heart.

Salty

Shit, I get dirty looks from people now.

Because of my attitude, certainly I desverved the abuse I got. Maybe it didn't even feel that bad to me because I am a dick to people.

Even if Mia Farrow IS an unstable mean person, you cannot weigh that against the monstrousity of abusing a child.

Ben Shapiro

Quote from: Alty on February 10, 2014, 05:10:37 AM
Shit, I get dirty looks from people now.

Because of my attitude, certainly I desverved the abuse I got. Maybe it didn't even feel that bad to me because I am a dick to people.

Even if Mia Farrow IS an unstable mean person, you cannot weigh that against the monstrousity of abusing a child.
Quote from: Alty on February 10, 2014, 05:03:07 AM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velvet Skin Sacs on February 10, 2014, 04:57:48 AM
Here is the truth:

We do not know.

Yes. And it is so simple and easy to do!

I spoke with my father a few weeks ago.

"Now I am not trying to talk bad about your mom. But she could have done a better job of.letting me know where you were."

Where I was, in Anchorage, AK for 20+ years. Yeah.

So easy to blame the women who broke your poor, poor heart.

Yeah, when people justify rape/murder to people they don't like. "Yeah it sucks that happened, but hey they were assholes right?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: /b/earman on February 10, 2014, 04:59:55 AM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velvet Skin Sacs on February 10, 2014, 04:53:09 AM

Probably? I do remember people stopped caring after new accusations were coming out. To the point it numbed and trivilized accusations of child molestation. So the media won?

What, exactly, are you trying to say here? That people shut out the accusations because they made them uncomfortable and they preferred not to think about them? I would agree with that. Or are you trying to imply that victims should not make their allegations public because they "numb and trivialize" accusations of molestation? What, exactly, is your point?