News:

It is better to set off a nuclear bomb, than to sit and curse the dark.

Main Menu

80,000+ people try to play Pokemon simultaneously

Started by tjg92, February 18, 2014, 04:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Junkenstein on February 25, 2014, 10:03:38 PM
Chess would be much more interesting if it wasn't so reliant on memorisation of opening moves.

Chess stopped being fun when I reached the level at which studying playbooks was required.

So I walked away and never looked back.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Pæs

Faust

Christ watching them trying to pick up an item on the ground was excruciating. They walk a little closer, they walk away. They stand beside it, they walk away.
They open the menu. They close the menu. They face the item, they turn away from the item.
They face the item. FINALLY they get it.

With the amount of trolls on this it's like watching  someone trying to wade through treacle with anchors on their shins.

If I watched more than five minutes of that you'd be able to convince me autocracy is a really good idea.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Junkenstein

Somewhat related, ever look at the historical Roman Dictators? It's quite notable that with only a couple of exceptions nearly all surrendered power willingly when the crisis has passed. In this situation, if control passed to a single player during key moments this would probably have been completed in a day if not hours.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Junkenstein

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 25, 2014, 10:07:11 PM
Chess would be much more interesting if it wasn't so reliant on memorisation of opening moves.

Chess stopped being fun when I reached the level at which studying playbooks was required.

Personally, Chess stopped being fun after everyone started playing computer chess and as such ended up playing very, very similar games every time. When you're both always making the same X many opening moves before actually thinking about what you're doing, why not just set the board up like that instead?
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Aucoq

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 20, 2014, 03:11:35 PM
Quote from: Allfather Waffles on February 20, 2014, 02:50:45 PM
We only get Magic: The Gathering nerds and/or emos in our game stores.

Magic players are composed of people who wanted to be mathematicians but didn't want to do the work.

You nailed it.    :lol: :lol: :lol:
"All of the world's leading theologists agree only on the notion that God hates no-fault insurance."

Horrid and Sticky Llama Wrangler of Last Week's Forbidden Desire.

Cuddlefish

Tangential: I prefer competitive Pokemon (via Pokemon Showdown, not the official games, on account of Nintendo being unable to make a balanced competitive game) over MtG. The ability to accurately predict your opponents moves has a much more important role in the strategy of competitive Pokemon than it does in MtG, and I personally like that element.
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

Red

Quote from: Cuddlefish on February 25, 2014, 11:27:11 PM
Tangential: I prefer competitive Pokemon (via Pokemon Showdown, not the official games, on account of Nintendo being unable to make a balanced competitive game) over MtG. The ability to accurately predict your opponents moves has a much more important role in the strategy of competitive Pokemon than it does in MtG, and I personally like that element.
You know, I quit playing Pokemon for that exact reason. Now I'm going to have to check out Pokemon Showdown to see what's up.

Back on subject: I visited the channel. I bet the people there are just playing out of sheer nostalgia. It's practically unplayable as they are doing things. The poor guy on the screen barely moves. I blame democracy.

As best as I can figure out "democracy" means the movements will only happen by majority rule once at least 50% of the chat has said the same thing. "Anarchy" seems to ignore voting and pick random users to decide next move? I'm not 100% sure on this. Anyone have a better idea?

The Johnny

democracy is vote for a specific move and the voting lasts about 5-8 seconds, doesnt require majority per se, doesnt go higher than 15 votes to go thru with it
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Reginald Ret

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 25, 2014, 10:07:11 PM

I just go to a bar, meet up with a friend who uses way too much drugs (I don't even want to know what he uses) who learnt it in jail and try to be as unpredictable as possible without being completely retarded. This works about 65% of the time, which is good enough for me. I'm not trying to beat a computer, i just want something for my head and hands to do while i drink and talk shit with friends. (this friend was just an example, though his game is quite challenging for me)
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Pæs

Junkenstein

There's an MTV producer pitching this exact thing right now.

Cain

There's already been that woman who put a plan online to use Google Glasses and crowdsource her dating.

It was meant to be conceptual art or satire or something, but it's going to happen.

Junkenstein

Resigned Obligatorily

Quote from: Pæs on February 25, 2014, 10:07:36 PM
80,000 people playing one side of chess?

You would think they could tap into their collective wisdom and benefit....
I would like to see 80,000 people lose to one grade schooler.
Who am I?
I am a nobody,
and the odds are
that you are too.

If you say its a bad idea
to listen to a nobody;
you likely are also saying nobody,
should listen to you.

Do not trust the authorities on a subject;
simply because they are the authority.

Listen to them only if what they say is truth.

~O.R.