News:

PD.com: Worse than that time when I conjured a handkerchief from that deaf kid's ear.

Main Menu

A very interesting view of America from the outside.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, February 20, 2014, 06:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Nephew Twiddleton

These are really fascinating. I also feel scrutinized now.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Nephew Twiddleton

Clearly the writer hasnt been to boston :lol:
But id never have thought about say the laughing thing. But its true- it seems like someone is laughing at you if you do that here and barely containing it.
I wasnt aware though that we were a particularly sarcastic nation or that we used a lot of quote fingers.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: THE PHYTOPHTHORATIC HOLDER OF THE ADVANCED DEGREE on February 20, 2014, 07:09:21 PM
But id never have thought about say the laughing thing. But its true- it seems like someone is laughing at you if you do that here and barely containing it.
I wasnt aware though that we were a particularly sarcastic nation or that we used a lot of quote fingers.

Americans INVENTED the horse laugh.  It's really our only justification for existing.

LMNO

Quote from: THE PHYTOPHTHORATIC HOLDER OF THE ADVANCED DEGREE on February 20, 2014, 07:09:21 PM

Oh, I'm so sure.  No, "really".

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on February 20, 2014, 07:12:15 PM

Oh, I'm so sure.  No, "really".
Lol
I dunno i always got the sense that more often quotation marks were a way for old people and the media to talk about that thing those damn kids are doing and arbitrarily attach their own ideas to it. The high school i graduated from banned "gothic" clothing. Functionally this meant that if i wanted to wear a black shirt i had to wear tan pants. No real reason for that other than that one goth kid that was always getting in trouble. You know because the clothes make you do it. Oh. Theres that sarcasm thing. I see.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

The laughing thing is interesting. As is the free time thing. No free time at all during the weekday. O.o When I was on the farm, that was true but dang. I feel so decadent and lazy now. :P
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Cain

The linked one about Russia is very revealing....about Russians.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Cain on February 20, 2014, 08:18:47 PM
Wow... No kidding. Russians randomly show up at peoples houses?

hooplala

Indeed... explains a lot about Ayn Rand.  Also, makes me wonder what "They do this thing with their legs that is so annoying." means exactly.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Hoopla on February 20, 2014, 09:21:50 PM

Indeed... explains a lot about Ayn Rand.  Also, makes me wonder what "They do this thing with their legs that is so annoying." means exactly.
In some countries pointing your foot at someone is an insult. Middle eastern countries if i recall. Crossing our legs sometimes unwittingly makes this insult.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: THE PHYTOPHTHORATIC HOLDER OF THE ADVANCED DEGREE on February 20, 2014, 08:34:02 PM
You never do that?
For me it depends on the wishes of the one i visit, with some friends i can just drop by and vice versa. Others have asked me to call first.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: :regret: on February 20, 2014, 10:23:49 PM
Quote from: THE PHYTOPHTHORATIC HOLDER OF THE ADVANCED DEGREE on February 20, 2014, 08:34:02 PM
You never do that?
For me it depends on the wishes of the one i visit, with some friends i can just drop by and vice versa. Others have asked me to call first.
Only as a teenager when it was expected out of routine.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Quote from: :regret: on February 20, 2014, 10:23:49 PM
You never do that?

If people randomly showed up at my house they'd stay on the porch until they left.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.