News:

News:  0 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765 10946 17711 28657, motherfuckers.

Main Menu

New Website: Principia Discoursia

Started by Pæs, February 27, 2014, 10:03:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pæs

I wanted an excuse to maintain a production copy of Discourse, a Ruby on Rails discussion board which is full of rather clever features, so I am now hosting principiadiscoursia.com. I don't especially want to set up a clone of what we're doing here, but am looking at the tech to get inspired about what purposes it might have. Solution before problem isn't the usual way to do things, but I'm just fucking around with this thing.

If anyone has any projects they think would benefit from a new environment, let me know how this site might be able to suit your purpose! It has a moderation system whereby I can appoint moderators, but by posting and receiving positive feedback, trusted users automatically gain access to some moderation, spam flagging, board maintenance tools as well, so seems to encourage democractic management.

You guys can play with it and see if it's any good! I only just spun up the server for it an hour or so ago, and am experimenting in the backend, so it's going to be a little held together by gum and rubberbands, but none of that should translate through to the user experience.

Pæs

Oh yeah, and you can log in with Google/Facebook/Github/Twitter/Yahoo?(I haven't tested these, but they SAY they're working) or create a local account.

Cain

Just so you know, I tried the Facebook login and got:

QuoteGiven URL is not permitted by the application configuration.: One or more of the given URLs is not allowed by the App's settings. It must match the Website URL or Canvas URL, or the domain must be a subdomain of one of the App's domains.

I'm running latest version of Firefox, but I allowed javascript to run, so it's not that.

Pæs

I'm getting that too! I'll tinker with Facebook API settings and see what I can do. Have to configure these things on Facebook/Twitter/Github's sites individually.

EDIT: Should be possible to log in with Facebook now! Will keep pressing buttons to make the flow better, but that error is gone. Twitter is misbehaving now.

Pæs

Time for sleep now, but I'll configure the sign-in options tomorrow to convince Twitter and Github to agree with me.

Faust

How easy was it to implement the social media logins, it's something I've been mulling over for here for a while.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

LMNO

Created an account, but when I clicked through the confirmation email, I got an "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" error.

Yes, IE.  Not my choice, it's what's used at work.  Shut up.

Bu🤠ns

A group of folks on #discord are working on a similar project but includes a wiki page and some other things. I'm not sure if this is the kind of collaboration you're looking for but, if interested, reach out to Triplezero, Ixxie, Vitriol or some others who might be in involved now. I'm part of the discussion group but I haven't really been involved so I have no idea where they're at but I figure it might be worth passing along.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

When I hit the activation link in my email I got: Oops! Google Chrome could not find www.principiadiscoursia.com
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Pæs

Quote from: Nigel on February 27, 2014, 03:02:25 PM
When I hit the activation link in my email I got: Oops! Google Chrome could not find www.principiadiscoursia.com

Ah! That might be the source of all the problems. Seems like only principiadiscoursia.com exists, without the www, but I've told the software to redirect to www.

I'll fix the DNS records and let people know when it's working again.

Pæs

Account confirmation for non-social registrations should now be working.

Salty

The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

LMNO

Quote from: Pæs on February 27, 2014, 07:20:06 PM
Account confirmation for non-social registrations should now be working.

Not for me, sadly.  Same error message/page.

Salty

Worked supet swell on my basic android browser, gmail acct.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.