News:

PD.com: Living proof that just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Main Menu

Hell

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, June 20, 2014, 04:37:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 22, 2014, 05:58:44 AM
Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on June 20, 2014, 10:38:24 PM
Perhaps we've had it wrong all along. Tucson is the afterlife, but it's not the one we thought it was.

It's not the afterlife you wanted, but it's the afterlife you need.

It's the afterlife we deserve.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on June 22, 2014, 07:10:34 PM
Perhaps we've had it wrong all along. Tucson is the afterlife, but it's not the one we thought it was.

Let's not get all crazy, now.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 23, 2014, 01:19:56 AM
Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on June 22, 2014, 07:10:34 PM

Let's not get all crazy, now.

:lol:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Q. G. Pennyworth

This feels like something that could be built upon.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on June 23, 2014, 03:44:06 PM

Working on that.

I posted a fragment that could be useful on the bar thread, but it got buried at the bottom of the page.

I'll haul it out later.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 23, 2014, 03:48:05 PM

Working on that.

I posted a fragment that could be useful on the bar thread, but it got buried at the bottom of the page.

I'll haul it out later.

Awesome. It's too nice a little concept to leave in the corner collecting dust.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on June 23, 2014, 03:51:46 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 23, 2014, 03:48:05 PM

Working on that.

I'll haul it out later.

Awesome. It's too nice a little concept to leave in the corner collecting dust.

I am in LMNO's shoes.  At the moment, I don't have much time.

The Good Reverend Roger

There's a name for what we do.  We call it Cyborg Pride.

After all, a cyborg is just a person who has been augmented with machinery.   There is no rule that says that the machinery has to be actually implanted in the human.  We have pocket computers that assist us in every facet of modern life...and just as a more classic cyborg might allow bits of him/herself to atrophy, our memories - according to a couple of recent studies - are retaining less information...Because we don't NEED the retention.  Why memorize 800 phone numbers when you have speed dial (and when there are no land lines anywhere)?

Likewise, who needs to run 60 MPH when a car will do it easier?  Who needs super strength when there are a plethora of mechanical methods of accomplishing things requiring extra strength?

Another generation, and we'll hardly be considered the same species as we are now.  People will of course piss and moan, but the fact is, the things allowed to atrophy are not things that we need - or are even relevant - anymore.

This is the future.  Gibson and Williams totally missed this shit.  Their cyborgs were tragic figures.  The real life cyborgs are another step up in the apotheosis of the species.

Cyborg Pride.   Because when you're a cyborg, Hell is just another neighborhood.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 23, 2014, 04:31:05 PM
There's a name for what we do.  We call it Cyborg Pride.

After all, a cyborg is just a person who has been augmented with machinery.   There is no rule that says that the machinery has to be actually implanted in the human.  We have pocket computers that assist us in every facet of modern life...and just as a more classic cyborg might allow bits of him/herself to atrophy, our memories - according to a couple of recent studies - are retaining less information...Because we don't NEED the retention.  Why memorize 800 phone numbers when you have speed dial (and when there are no land lines anywhere)?

Likewise, who needs to run 60 MPH when a car will do it easier?  Who needs super strength when there are a plethora of mechanical methods of accomplishing things requiring extra strength?

Another generation, and we'll hardly be considered the same species as we are now.  People will of course piss and moan, but the fact is, the things allowed to atrophy are not things that we need - or are even relevant - anymore.

This is the future.  Gibson and Williams totally missed this shit.  Their cyborgs were tragic figures.  The real life cyborgs are another step up in the apotheosis of the species.

Cyborg Pride.   Because when you're a cyborg, Hell is just another neighborhood.

Ooooh! I love that last line
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Thing about Hell is...

Luna

How long until people rely on machines to do their feeling for them?
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Luna on June 25, 2014, 07:57:58 PM
You mean soap operas?
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Regret on June 25, 2014, 08:56:07 PM
Quote from: Luna on June 25, 2014, 07:57:58 PM
You mean soap operas?

:lulz: