News:

Heaven is a sausage party.

Main Menu

38 ways to win an argument (a classic)

Started by The Johnny, March 04, 2014, 02:13:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Johnny

http://indiauncut.com/iublog/article/38-ways-to-win-an-argument-arthur-schopenhauer/

QuoteFor all of you who have ever been involved in an online debate in any way, Arthur Schopenhauer's "38 Ways To Win An Argument" is indispensable. Most of these techniques will seem familiar to you, right from questioning the motive of a person making the argument instead of the argument itself (No. 35), exaggerating the propositions stated by the other person (No. 1) , misrepresenting the other person's words (No. 2) and attacking a straw man instead (No. 3). It's a full handbook of intellectual dishonesty there. Indeed, I generally avoid online debates because they inevitably degenerate to No. 38.

The full text is below the fold. Many thanks to my friend Nitin Pai for reintroducing me to it.

im sure most of us know this, but, in case anyone missed it, its a digested version of Schopenhauer's propositions
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Johnny

well, i didnt mean it in a snobbish sense of "oh, you newbies/ignorants SHOULD know about this" but rather was meant in an apologetic sense because i was supposing lots would consider it repost material.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Johnny on March 04, 2014, 02:28:48 AM
well, i didnt mean it in a snobbish sense of "oh, you newbies/ignorants SHOULD know about this" but rather was meant in an apologetic sense because i was supposing lots would consider it repost material.

I was just playing off of #38.  Sorry.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Salty

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 04, 2014, 02:29:45 AM
Quote from: The Johnny on March 04, 2014, 02:28:48 AM

I was just playing off of #38.  Sorry.

You wield the art too well.  :lol:
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

The Johnny

Miscommunication over the internets, nothing new  :)

-B.F. Skinner

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I feel like this thread should get some kind of award for "Most Rapidly Resolved Ironic Misunderstanding in Peedee History".
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

carnival

Schopenhauer is my favorite philosopher.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Nigel on March 04, 2014, 07:06:56 PM
I feel like this thread should get some kind of award for "Most Rapidly Resolved Ironic Misunderstanding in Peedee History".
In 57 seconds has to be a record.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"