News:

Hand drawn by monkeys in sweat-shop conditions.

Main Menu

THUG

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, March 05, 2014, 03:25:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

I suspect the Daily Mail of using the concept of race in a more racially orientated way than anyone else, so that wouldn't be entirely surprising.  I mean, the paper supported the Nazis, and has only changed insofar as it now whines about liberal bias much more.

Also, it's worth watching the transatlantic meme trade.  While the Telegraph is most notable for this, with neoconservative themes (check out the Telegraph blogs section), the Mail imports a lot from the Tea Party and nativist right.  Melanie Phillips was trading in "Obama is a Kenyan Muslim Marxist" conspiracy theories before he was even President.

Resigned Obligatorily

I never thought thug was racial. More ghetto/rap than racial. I just though it meant physical bully, or brute force user.

To a young man, thug can even be a compliment. I used to despise those wankers. It seems to be more of a masculine thing. Even though those people are always ignorant ass holes, and they grow out of that after they realize that prison isn't the romanticized hardcore club that its made out to be.

You're right though, with an urban/racial context, especially for a woman, that would be quite insulting.
Its interesting how language transforms over time, and changes meenings depending on who you are and where you are in life.

Who am I?
I am a nobody,
and the odds are
that you are too.

If you say its a bad idea
to listen to a nobody;
you likely are also saying nobody,
should listen to you.

Do not trust the authorities on a subject;
simply because they are the authority.

Listen to them only if what they say is truth.

~O.R.

LMNO

Quote from: Nigel on March 05, 2014, 03:25:15 AM
And she's older, so for her, if it DID have racial connotations, it would be way more appropriate for Dimo to be offended that me.

CULTURAL APPROPRIATION.

Junkenstein

Quote from: Cain on March 05, 2014, 08:54:43 AM
I suspect the Daily Mail of using the concept of race in a more racially orientated way than anyone else, so that wouldn't be entirely surprising.  I mean, the paper supported the Nazis, and has only changed insofar as it now whines about liberal bias much more.

Also, it's worth watching the transatlantic meme trade.  While the Telegraph is most notable for this, with neoconservative themes (check out the Telegraph blogs section), the Mail imports a lot from the Tea Party and nativist right.  Melanie Phillips was trading in "Obama is a Kenyan Muslim Marxist" conspiracy theories before he was even President.

I wish to hear more on this meme trading. I can see the kind of thing you're talking about and I'd guess to to be more than a US/UK exchange. Look at how "Austerity" and various other things became political norms practically worldwide. Considering your thread from a couple of days ago it's almost tempting to say "Bilderberger". I refrain only because I can't prove shit but it would certainly make a lot of sense.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

The British right take a lot of their cues from the American right.  They read their publications, and often repackage their material to better suit a UK audience (this normally involves toning it down and less God).  American thinkers set down the narratives, the Atlantacist Tories and similar interpret them for the native masses.

The Good Reverend Roger

In America, "thug" is the new way to say "young Black man whom you should be terrified of."

Media-wise.  On FB, etc, it's a little nastier.  On FB, "thug" is code for "shiftless criminal nigger".  This can be illustrated by posting a thread about Trayvon Martin.

I've done this, and wound up blocking a couple of dozen people that I thought were civilized.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 05, 2014, 01:05:23 PM
In America, "thug" is the new way to say "young Black man whom you should be terrified of."

Media-wise.  On FB, etc, it's a little nastier.  On FB, "thug" is code for "shiftless criminal nigger".  This can be illustrated by posting a thread about Trayvon Martin.

I've done this, and wound up blocking a couple of dozen people that I thought were civilized.

Yeah. It's a relatively new thing, and I think that it was the Trayvon case that pushed it over the top and out into the light. The "hoodies make young black men look like thugs" meme. Of course, hoodies = thugs is a brand new fabrication (before the shooting, hoodies = hipsters), and a kid of slight build is unlikely to be taken for an old-definition thug, but by the new definition, that of the no-good nigger, "thug" has been appropriated as a stand-in for a racial slur in America.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Junkenstein

Worth noting that the hoodies=thugs has been in the UK press since at least the late 1990's, so it's taken some time to cross over there. Again worth noting that the sterotyped "Thug" here is practically synonymous with "chav". I think that term made some headway over there but didn't get too far.

Out of curiosity, what kind of terms do you commonly see attached to white petty criminals? I'm wondering if the terms used for white people are more specifically about their economic circumstances. From what I see, they tend to be.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

LMNO

Quote from: Junkenstein on March 05, 2014, 05:31:59 PM
what kind of terms do you commonly see attached to white petty criminals?

"Innocent"

Pergamos

Quote from: The Johnny on March 05, 2014, 03:43:26 AM

Well, im far off from your context, but what comes to mind when thug is said is:

A) Blackwater mercenaries

B) Black ghetto gangbangers

So, although Blackwater probably is predominantly white for all i know, its interesting how in both cases the word "black" is in there, so maybe theres something semiotically going on.  :?

Kali is the black mother...

Pergamos

Worth noting that the hoodies=thugs has been in the UK press since at least the late 1990's, so it's taken some time to cross over there. Again worth noting that the sterotyped "Thug" here is practically synonymous with "chav". I think that term made some headway over there but didn't get too far.

Out of curiosity, what kind of terms do you commonly see attached to white petty criminals? I'm wondering if the terms used for white people are more specifically about their economic circumstances. From what I see, they tend to be.

In my experience it is usually about the drugs they use. 

Salty

The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Cain

Quote from: Pergamos on March 05, 2014, 06:29:42 PM

In my experience it is usually about the drugs they use.

As an outsider, I'd have to agree.  The first thing that came to mind was "meth-user" if lower class, or "family man" if middle class and married.