News:

What the fuck is a homonym?  It's something that sounds gay.

Main Menu

THUG

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, March 05, 2014, 03:25:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

I still keep thinking about the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, when CNN showed a black "looter", then shortly thereafter showed a white man "gathering supplies".
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Suu

Thug is not racially loaded to me. It was commonly used in RI referring to the mafia, and we use it in the SCA as a compliment to our army and household.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Faust

Using the word thug on someone isn't racist.

It's cultural appropriation, how dare they mislabel people as belonging to the Thuggee.

It's like me walking into a room full of you people and going "you miserable Maori shits"
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Ben Shapiro

Telarus

I was just thinking about that Affluenza shit.  :argh!:
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Junkenstein

Quote from: Faust on March 05, 2014, 09:09:16 PM
Using the word thug on someone isn't racist.

It's cultural appropriation, how dare they mislabel people as belonging to the Thuggee.

It's like me walking into a room full of you people and going "you miserable Maori shits"

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Suu on March 05, 2014, 08:50:15 PM
Thug is not racially loaded to me. It was commonly used in RI referring to the mafia, and we use it in the SCA as a compliment to our army and household.

I am not even really sure how to respond to this.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

There is no ethnic component in the mafia. 

Of course.

Reginald Ret

Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on March 06, 2014, 04:48:11 PM

Clearly, this is about the SCA.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 06, 2014, 04:52:34 PM
Quote from: Nigel on March 06, 2014, 04:48:11 PM

Clearly, this is about the SCA.

BREAKING NEWS: White Lady In New Hampshire Announces "Thug" Not Racially Loaded For Her, SCA Pals.

East Coast Hustle

Here's a question, and feel free to slap the shit out of me if it's retarded and/or unknowingly crossing some "racial rules" line:

Do we, as a society in general, have to sideline terms every time some teabillies decide to make it their "nigger du jour"?

Or are we better off ignoring that bullshit and those bullshit-spewers and not allowing the linguistic tropes of a minor outlier segment of society to become entangled with our everyday linguistic reality?

I mean, "thug" is a word, and it's not a word with any inherent racial meaning. I'm kinda feeling like I'm going to keep using it the way I always have and if I hear someone else using it as a racially-loaded placeholder term I'll address those situations individually rather than start pruning my own vocabulary to conform with some ever-changing notion of political correctness that's trying to keep up with the mouthbreathers' newest slang terms.

Otherwise, aren't we letting the terrorists win?
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Jet City Hustle on March 06, 2014, 05:42:27 PM
Here's a question, and feel free to slap the shit out of me if it's retarded and/or unknowingly crossing some "racial rules" line:

Do we, as a society in general, have to sideline terms every time some teabillies decide to make it their "nigger du jour"?

Or are we better off ignoring that bullshit and those bullshit-spewers and not allowing the linguistic tropes of a minor outlier segment of society to become entangled with our everyday linguistic reality?

I mean, "thug" is a word, and it's not a word with any inherent racial meaning. I'm kinda feeling like I'm going to keep using it the way I always have and if I hear someone else using it as a racially-loaded placeholder term I'll address those situations individually rather than start pruning my own vocabulary to conform with some ever-changing notion of political correctness that's trying to keep up with the mouthbreathers' newest slang terms.

Otherwise, aren't we letting the terrorists win?
PC is logic-proof.
Don't try to fight it.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"