Started by Scilon Agent, March 12, 2014, 04:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

You know, so am I. 

TGRR,
Fucking whipping boy at large.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 13, 2014, 04:22:27 PM
You know, so am I. 

TGRR,

You and almost everybody else who posted in this thread. But if you want to feel like it's all about you, feel free.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

God forbid someone have a dissenting opinion, or maybe be hoping for something other than a pigeonholing hate-fest every once in a while.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nobody understands birds on March 13, 2014, 04:23:47 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 13, 2014, 04:22:27 PM
You know, so am I. 

TGRR,

You and almost everybody else who posted in this thread. But if you want to feel like it's all about you, feel free.

I don't care if it's all about me.  I don't care who else you feel like shitting on.  I'm more concerned with the shit that's hitting me.

I have enough on my plate.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nobody understands birds on March 13, 2014, 04:24:29 PM
God forbid someone have a dissenting opinion, or maybe be hoping for something other than a pigeonholing hate-fest every once in a while.

No, I think that targeting priorities may be different, Nigel.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 13, 2014, 04:26:00 PM

In other words, you're cool because you shit mostly on new people, but I'm not cool because I criticized you, and that's the same as shitting on you.

Gotcha.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nobody understands birds on March 13, 2014, 04:28:53 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 13, 2014, 04:26:00 PM

In other words, you're cool because you shit mostly on new people, but I'm not cool because I criticized you, and that's the same as shitting on you.

Gotcha.

I have to go for a while.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Mostly, I just don't find the board fun or funny anymore. Maybe it's just me. I think that almost anyone who joins is likely to fairly quickly turn hostile because of the way we typically treat newcomers, and it's sort of turning into the same mentality as the Cellar, where everyone brown-noses the regulars or they're placed in some category or other of fucktard.

I don't want to spend my time in an environment like that.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Hoopla on March 13, 2014, 03:04:50 PM
Quote from: Jet City Hustle on March 13, 2014, 12:07:05 AM
Do I really need to point out the tangible societal costs of poor nutrition?

Really?

I live in Canada, so no.  I pay for everyone's stupid choices, constantly.  And they can damn well pay for mine too. 

I don't believe I ever said otherwise. That doesn't mean that there aren't real tangible costs of such behavior or that we shouldn't try to find ways to minimize those costs.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

hooplala

Quote from: Jet City Hustle on March 13, 2014, 05:09:07 PM

Really?

I live in Canada, so no.  I pay for everyone's stupid choices, constantly.  And they can damn well pay for mine too. 

I don't believe I ever said otherwise. That doesn't mean that there aren't real tangible costs of such behavior or that we shouldn't try to find ways to minimize those costs.

Well, true.  I was in a bad mood yesterday, I'm sorry for acting like a crank.  And it was not intended to be a personal attack on the OP, just me being a shit.  Carry on.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoopla on March 13, 2014, 05:13:10 PM

Really?

Well, true.  I was in a bad mood yesterday, I'm sorry for acting like a crank.  And it was not intended to be a personal attack on the OP, just me being a shit.  Carry on.

Attacking the idea is just like being Lumberjim.  You know who else did that?  HITLER, that's who!

hooplala

For what it's worth, I didn't really see anyone attacking the poster of the OP.  I saw people questioning the idea... isn't that what PD is supposed to be all about?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoopla on March 13, 2014, 05:41:14 PM
For what it's worth, I didn't really see anyone attacking the poster of the OP.  I saw people questioning the idea... isn't that what PD is supposed to be all about?

I always thought so.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 13, 2014, 05:38:10 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on March 13, 2014, 05:13:10 PM

Really?

Attacking the idea is just like being Lumberjim.  You know who else did that?  HITLER, that's who!

That's a huge stretch. I don't know why you feel the need to demonize and extremize anyone who disagrees with something you do, but I am going to let you know that while I'm not angry, I also won't entertain it.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

And it isn't just this thread. It's the "everyone who isn't ONE OF US is a SHITHEAD" culture the board seems to have. Maybe it's always had it. I don't even care. But one thing I'm pretty much completely over is spending time somewhere people are unremittingly angry, bitter, and negative. I used to love PD because while it was also those things, it was also FUNNY. Now most of the time when I visit it, it just makes me feel bad. It's become a punishment center for everyone's failures and disappointments. Including mine.

No one might not like hearing it, but it IS becoming a butt-sniffing circle-jerk here these days. New guy doesn't participate EXACTLY RIGHT? He's RUINED EVERYTHING. It's partly just a function of the board being smaller and less active, but there isn't enough other, fun activity for the unrelenting negativity to filter out into the category of background noise; now, everybody doing it wrong all the time, all the anger and disappointment and bitterness and boredom and hostility and demonizing and othering is fast approaching becoming the defining characteristic of the board.

I really don't have space for that in my life, it's exhausting. So I spend less and less time on the board. I often pop in and if it looks like a bunch of teeth-grinding I just leave and find somewhere else to spend my time.

I am guessing, from the way you have responded so far in this thread, that you will probably accuse me of using you as your whipping-boy AGAIN. Which I am pretty much completely sick of being accused of, in the same way I don't think it's at all OK that Alty decided that if people fail to understand him when he's making sweeping statements of judgement they aren't really his friends and they think he's a piece of shit etc etc. It's not rational, it's not right, and it's not FAIR to other people to demonize them like that.

I don't want to stop being friends but I want you to stop blowing  things out of all proportion and trying to make me feel like a piece of shit every time I disagree with you or ask you to consider changing your behavior. I don't like it, it doesn't feel good. It feels crappy and unfair.