News:

MysticWicks endorsement: ""Oooh, I'm a Discordian! I can do whatever I want! Which means I can just SAY I'm a pagan but I never bother doing rituals or studying any kind of sacred texts or developing a relationship with deity, etc! I can go around and not be Christian, but I won't quite be anything else either because I just can't commit and I can't be ARSED to commit!"

Main Menu

Prisoners 'could serve 1,000 year sentence in eight hours'

Started by Bu🤠ns, March 17, 2014, 05:09:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bu🤠ns

QuoteSpeaking to Aeon magazine, Dr Roache said drugs could be developed to distort prisoners' minds into thinking time was passing more slowly.
"There are a number of psychoactive drugs that distort people's sense of time, so you could imagine developing a pill or a liquid that made someone feel like they were serving a 1,000-year sentence," she said.

A second scenario would be to upload human minds to computers to speed up the rate at which the mind works, she wrote on her blog.

"If the speed-up were a factor of a million, a millennium of thinking would be accomplished in eight and a half hours... Uploading the mind of a convicted criminal and running it a million times faster than normal would enable the uploaded criminal to serve a 1,000 year sentence in eight-and-a-half hours. This would, obviously, be much cheaper for the taxpayer than extending criminals' lifespans to enable them to serve 1,000 years in real time."

What could possibly go wrong!? I mean as long as the tax payer saves money!   :lulz:  :eek: 

I mean what a great way to save time and money on our prison pipeline!

Anyway, I realize it's hardly a scientific article (hence the sub-forum) but I thought it brought up an interesting discussion.

Reginald Ret

People need to rethink their reasons for jailing bad people.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

LMNO

Wow.  As far as I understand it, that wouldn't just be like serving a 1,000 year sentence in eight hours, that would be like serving a 1,000 year sentence in complete isolation.  Which, if we've all been paying attention, has been known to drive people insane.

Cainad (dec.)

Why why WHY can't we shake off this cultural fetish for torture and punishment?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Oh, good, so after just a day in jail we can release completely batshit-insane criminals into society. Sounds like a winning plan!

I like how this concept seeks to employ technology not to reduce crime, but to enable us to punish people MORE.

MORE PUNISHMENT PLEASE!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Hah, LMNO and Nigel beat me to it.

On the plus side, this would help speed along our evolution towards becoming MegaCity One.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Pæs

ALTERNATIVELY AND LESS SADISTICALLY. PUNISH THEM THE SAME AMOUNT BUT TAKE AWAY LESS OF THEIR LIFESPAN.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on March 17, 2014, 01:27:00 PM
Wow.  As far as I understand it, that wouldn't just be like serving a 1,000 year sentence in eight hours, that would be like serving a 1,000 year sentence in complete isolation.  Which, if we've all been paying attention, has been known to drive people insane.

That was my first thought.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Johnny

1. Jail a sociopath
2. Hook em up to a machine to speed thru a couple eons
3.  :?
4. Release an omniscient came-to-be-god that is still sociopathic, now also psychotic with thirst for vengeance to society.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Probably a very good way to take people who were just kind of messed up, got set on the wrong path, and so on and turn them into a 100% unrehabbable menace to society.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

More to the point, with no speculation:  It's torture.  It's wrong.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Pæs

I fucking hope that once we're at the point where a human mind can be uploaded to a computer and sped up to experience many lifetimes of thought, we have better uses for that technology than torture. Or even limiting the costs of prisoners on the taxpayer.

But I know we probably don't.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Pergamos

We have what sounds like incredible technology and ths is the first application they think of?  What in the world is wrong with us?