News:

Endorsement:  I know that all of you fucking discordians are just a bunch of haters who seem to do anything you can to distance yourself from fucking anarchists which is just fine and dandy sit in your house on your computer and type inane shite all day until your fingers fall off.

Main Menu

Prisoners 'could serve 1,000 year sentence in eight hours'

Started by Bu🤠ns, March 17, 2014, 05:09:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pæs

DEAR DOCTOR FUCKING MORON,

THE TECHNOLOGY YOU DESCRIBE GIVES US A PRACTICALLY UNLIMITED AMOUNT OF BRAIN POWER.

HOW'S ABOUT WE USE IT TO WORK OUT WAYS TO KEEP OURSELVES SAFE WITHOUT PRISONS?

Pæs

Quote"To me, these questions about technology are interesting because they force us to rethink the truisms we currently hold about punishment. When we ask ourselves whether it's inhumane to inflict a certain technology on someone, we have to make sure it's not just the unfamiliarity that spooks us," Dr Roache said.
"Is it really OK to lock someone up for the best part of the only life they will ever have, or might it be more humane to tinker with their brains and set them free? When we ask that question, the goal isn't simply to imagine a bunch of futuristic punishments – the goal is to look at today's punishments through the lens of the future."

EDIT: So this quote kinda made me think the Doctor's position might not be "let's punish prisoners harder", but reading the blog I'm back to thinking that's the point.

QuoteAs a result, life imprisonment could mean several hundred years rather than a few decades. It would, of course, be more expensive for society to support such sentences. However, if lifespan enhancement were widely available, this cost could be offset by the increased contributions of a longer-lived workforce.

What even is this ridiculous speculation?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pergamos on March 17, 2014, 10:31:59 PM
We have what sounds like incredible technology and ths is the first application they think of?  What in the world is wrong with us?

Well, nobody tried to make a gun with it, so I suppose it's a step up.  Relatively speaking.

TGRR,
Still pissed about the 3D printer thing.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

You all realize this is effectively the drug "Space" from Transmet.

Yep, once again, Warren Ellis turns out to be a prophet.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 18, 2014, 12:26:21 AM
You all realize this is effectively the drug "Space" from Transmet.

Yep, once again, Warren Ellis turns out to be a prophet.

Holy shit I need to re-read that.

Also I think nearly everyone in this thread nailed it....

Junkenstein

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on March 17, 2014, 01:27:00 PM
Wow.  As far as I understand it, that wouldn't just be like serving a 1,000 year sentence in eight hours, that would be like serving a 1,000 year sentence in complete isolation.  Which, if we've all been paying attention, has been known to drive people insane.

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

And just imagine, if 1000 year sentences in X hours is possible, you'd STILL get people sentenced to "real" years of it anyway. Got to be tough on crime and the causes of crime.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Junkenstein on March 18, 2014, 07:33:16 AM
Wow.  As far as I understand it, that wouldn't just be like serving a 1,000 year sentence in eight hours, that would be like serving a 1,000 year sentence in complete isolation.  Which, if we've all been paying attention, has been known to drive people insane.

And just imagine, if 1000 year sentences in X hours is possible, you'd STILL get people sentenced to "real" years of it anyway. Got to be tough on crime and the causes of crime.

Wow.  As far as I understand it, that wouldn't just be like serving a 1,000 year sentence in eight hours, that would be like serving a 1,000 year sentence in complete isolation Which, if we've all been paying attention, has been known to drive people insane.
This works just like building a Magic the Gathering Deck. Every part needs to accelerate the other parts. They've managed to perfectly combine punishment with creating more crime.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Junkenstein on March 18, 2014, 07:33:16 AM

Got to have vicious children in charge of punishing the other vicious children.  Can't be seen to be weak, you know.

LMNO

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on March 18, 2014, 04:16:04 PM
I HAVE THE CONCH, AND I HAVE THE GLASSES!

Damn right.

Why is our (American, anyway) civilization failing, when there's nothing WRONG, and in fact everything is better than it ever has been?

Because the people now making the decisions have never been under discipline, and the population they appeal to has never suffered anything resembling deprivation.

We are 312,000,000 morons with axes, heading out to the barn to get ALL the golden eggs.

axod

Interesting.  I wonder if the subject's sense of personal identity, responsibility and culpability could be maintained throughout, b/c you know how integrating disruptions in temporality can be to a person's social conformity...  Really.
just this

hooplala

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 18, 2014, 04:27:13 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on March 18, 2014, 04:16:04 PM
I HAVE THE CONCH, AND I HAVE THE GLASSES!

Damn right.

Why is our (American, anyway) civilization failing, when there's nothing WRONG, and in fact everything is better than it ever has been?

Because the people now making the decisions have never been under discipline, and the population they appeal to has never suffered anything resembling deprivation.

We are 312,000,000 morons with axes, heading out to the barn to get ALL the golden eggs.

this this this this this.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Reginald Ret

Quote from: axod on March 18, 2014, 04:52:38 PM
Interesting.  I wonder if the subject's sense of personal identity, responsibility and culpability could be maintained throughout, b/c you know how integrating disruptions in temporality can be to a person's social conformity...  Really.
What?
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: :regret: on March 19, 2014, 11:29:17 AM
What?

He is talking, I believe, about the fact that experiences that disrupt a person's sense of elapsed time often go hand-in-hand with a psychological disconnect from both personal identity and society.

It's my suspicion that a person placed in what is effectively a sensory deprivation chamber will probably disconnect completely after just a few perceived days.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Nigel on March 19, 2014, 02:51:56 PM
Quote from: :regret: on March 19, 2014, 11:29:17 AM
What?

He is talking, I believe, about the fact that experiences that disrupt a person's sense of elapsed time often go hand-in-hand with a psychological disconnect from both personal identity and society.

It's my suspicion that a person placed in what is effectively a sensory deprivation chamber will probably disconnect completely after just a few perceived days.
Ah, thanks for the translation. That use of the word integrating confused me.

Turning criminals into comatose vegetables is one way of solving the recidivism problem.