News:

Remember, its all a sociological experiment.  "You are doing exactly as I planned. My god you are all so predictable."  Repeat until you believe it.

Main Menu

The Pit, 5 parts

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, March 18, 2014, 05:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

History has sentience, and you're postulating an observer-created universe?

You, sir, have gone too far.

:wink:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on April 11, 2014, 05:01:23 PM
History has sentience, and you're postulating an observer-created universe?

You, sir, have gone too far.

:wink:

*I* didn't postulate ANYTHING.  YOU did.   :lulz:

And history SEEMS to have sentience and the observer-created universe isn't actually a universe, strictly speaking.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Luna

:lol:

So, I find myself speculating...

How WOULD one deal with a misbehaving century?  Imprisonment?  Execution?  Either would pose some interesting difficulties...
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

:lulz: The band.

I like that you're throwing a little Baltimore in. I don't know why I like it, but I do.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on April 12, 2014, 02:32:14 AM

I like that you're throwing a little Baltimore in. I don't know why I like it, but I do.

1.  Yeah.  I've kind of had it up to here with the local pop channel.   :lulz:

2.  That's where the navy brig is that they keep "persons of interest".

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Luna on April 11, 2014, 05:33:45 PM
:lol:

So, I find myself speculating...

How WOULD one deal with a misbehaving century?  Imprisonment?  Execution?  Either would pose some interesting difficulties...

Well, that will become self-evident before too long.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 12, 2014, 05:34:35 AM
Quote from: Nigel on April 12, 2014, 02:32:14 AM

1.  Yeah.  I've kind of had it up to here with the local pop channel.   :lulz:

2.  That's where the navy brig is that they keep "persons of interest".

It's also where they keep my accountant.  :lol:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 11, 2014, 04:28:34 PM
Part 10

"Now, to form a bubbleverse, as has already been mentioned, takes a great deal of energy.  Consider, though, how many nuclear weapons were set off in the second half of the 20th century.  Also, Schroedinger's work has been interpreted as some to say that consciousness may have a direct influence on the universe itself...SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

I love this bit.

Great story, btw, just caught it today. Looking forward to more.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Eater of Clowns

Caught up on this, what a way to return to PD!
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

The Good Reverend Roger

More will be added tomorrow.  I am too physically ill to concentrate on this today, thanks to HORRORBAG.

The Good Reverend Roger

Still HORRORBAG.

I have the attention span of a deranged cat today, because GASTRODEATH.

It's all written in my head, but HORRORBAG.

Reginald Ret

Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Regret on April 17, 2014, 08:20:07 PM
Get better.

I can kinda bend at the waist today.

I shall write tonight, I think.

Luna

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 17, 2014, 08:56:10 PM
Quote from: Regret on April 17, 2014, 08:20:07 PM
Get better.

I can kinda bend at the waist today.

I shall write tonight, I think.

Glad you're at least a little better. 
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

The Good Reverend Roger

Part 11

Frank

There is no sound so awful, so dread-inspiring, as an air raid siren.  Except for dozens of air raid sirens.  I staggered out of the tunnel right into the middle of The Blitz, as the aforementioned sirens wailed out London's terror to an absentee God.  Searchlights stabbed the sky, and the drum of Bofors anti-aircraft guns firing as fast as their loaders could jerk shells into the chute.

Here and there, the multiple thuds of bomb strings landing.  On the East end, from the looks of it...The poor bastards over there took it in the shorts 2 nights out of every three.   I hustled down the street, looking for a tube entrance.  Any port in a storm, as April showers bring May mass casualties, and I didn't plan on being one of them.

What I found instead was a building with all the lights on, and piss-poor blackout curtains.  It appeared to be a pub of some kind.  Curiousity overcoming fear, I ran through the door, into a bog-standard pub, with maybe a half-dozen people in it. 

Something didn't look right.  Their appearance, there was something off about it.  Shrugging, I went to the bar and ordered a lager.  As I sipped at it, I looked more closely at the people in the room.  Something about their clothes...

...Then a lady halfway down the bar flickered, like those two freaks back in the trenches.  I drew my pistols, and fired one round through the ceiling.

"Have I got everyone's attention?"

General Johnson

Janet and I appeared in a cramped living room.  Air raid sirens were howling somewhere nearby, alongside all the other noises of a city being destroyed.  Across the room, there was an open door, as if someone had left in a big hurry.  Makes sense, in an air raid.

We were crossing the room to look for a staircase, when a gunshot rang out directly beneath us, and a bullet flew through the floor directly in front of me.  Plaster dust drifted down from the roof.  Janet and I both drew our pistols and kept going.  Through the door, there was in fact a staircase leading down.

We quietly went down the stairs, and through a doorway into what was obviously the common room of a pub.  A few people were sitting, looking at our quarry, who was still holding a smoking pistol and looking at us with an exasperated expression.  As I took in the scene, something bothered me.  I couldn't figure it out...But Janet could.

"These people, General...They're all wearing 21st century clothing."

The people stopped looking at Frank, and looked at us, rather sheepishly.  One small man at a table flickered.

Rita

Having gone through all the usual bullshit, I was taken to an interrogation room.  Some Captain was looking into the room through the one-way glass.  I stepped up beside him, and looked in.  A man in a suit that was out of style before World War II sat at a table, with a terrified expression on his face.  He was continually muttering and gnawing at his fingernails.

"What do we have here, Captain?"

"This is your anomaly, Ma'am.  We haven't spoken to him or responded in any way, as per orders."

"Very well.  Start recording", I said, and walked through the door into the room proper.  The man looked up at me, and the fear in his eyes tripled.

"Relax, sir, I'm not going to harm you."

He looked at me and snorted out bitter laughter.  "I know that.  But the fact that you, a woman, are a senior officer" - he indicated my rank tabs - "means that I am a dead man."

"I don't follow.  You, sir, are from our past.  This may be a little hard to understand, but..."

"No, I'm not."

"Not what?"

"I am not from the 20th century.  I was hiding there."

"Hiding from WHAT?"

"What year is it?"

"2014", I replied, a little annoyed...My clever You're in the FUTUUUUURE speech was wrecked, and I'd been having fun formulating it.

"Impossible", the man replied.

"Why is that impossible?", I asked, trying to be patient.

"Because the human race was destroyed in 2002."

To be continued.