News:

Testimonial: "I cannot see a slither of a viable defense for this godawful circlejerk board."

Main Menu

Experiments with monkeys

Started by omnihil, March 31, 2014, 03:41:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pæs on April 01, 2014, 08:42:42 PM
Do you really believe that practice of Christianity is simply mirroring for the sake of 'doing it the way it's always been done' rather than because it meets other needs of the practitioner?

And we all know that "Christianity" is one monolithic bloc that never, ever debates within itself.  It's just 2000 years of rote behavior.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: omnihil on April 01, 2014, 07:29:07 PM
This was meant to be a simple point, a mere statement, that I'm having to draw out to try to communicate effectively, so all in all this argument isn't that meaningful. 

Oh, I know.  You were explaining our hivemind to us in terms that we would be able to understand.

It must be rough, living in a world where everyone's doin' it wrong.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Do you really believe that practice of Christianity is simply mirroring for the sake of 'doing it the way it's always been done' rather than because it meets other needs of the practitioner?

Here's an interesting theory that xenophobic collectivist societies may have developed as a protection against infection:

http://www.psmag.com/navigation/health-and-behavior/bugs-like-made-germ-theory-democracy-beliefs-73958/
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

hooplala

Quote from: Net on April 01, 2014, 09:24:21 PM

Here's an interesting theory that xenophobic collectivist societies may have developed as a protection against infection:

http://www.psmag.com/navigation/health-and-behavior/bugs-like-made-germ-theory-democracy-beliefs-73958/

That's a fascinating article, thanks Net.

An interesting paragraph that popped out to me:

Quotecollectivist cultures tend to be both more xenophobic and more ethnocentric than individualist cultures.

It occurred to me that the USA tends to consider itself individualistic, and yet tends to display a considerable amount of xenophobia.  But, this is drifting off topic.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoopla on April 01, 2014, 09:40:51 PM

Quotecollectivist cultures tend to be both more xenophobic and more ethnocentric than individualist cultures.

It occurred to me that the USA tends to consider itself individualistic, and yet tends to display a considerable amount of xenophobia.  But, this is drifting off topic.

America likes to believe it's individualist, but it is of course no such thing.  We demand a level of conformity on important matters that is unheard of in Europe (excepting Britian) and Canada.

hooplala

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 01, 2014, 09:42:45 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on April 01, 2014, 09:40:51 PM

America likes to believe it's individualist, but it is of course no such thing.  We demand a level of conformity on important matters that is unheard of in Europe (excepting Britian) and Canada.

Need we look any further than enforced lawn maintenance ordinances?

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoopla on April 01, 2014, 09:46:19 PM

Not really, but let's do it anyway.   :lulz:

"You're either for us or against us."
- George W Bush

"It is treasonous to disagree with the president in wartime."
- Right wing nuts in 2003/2005, left wing nuts from 2009-present.

"People had better watch what they believe."
- Tucker Carlson, with his bare face hanging out, on Crossfire, 2005.

hooplala

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 01, 2014, 09:48:20 PM

- George W Bush

Yep, and look how more than half the country treated that woman from the Dixie Chicks when she simply said she was embarrassed to come from the same state as the President...

I should point out that we have lots of those types north of the border too.  I'm related to a whack of them.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoopla on April 01, 2014, 09:50:19 PM

- George W Bush

Yep, and look how more than half the country treated that woman from the Dixie Chicks when she simply said she was embarrassed to come from the same state as the President...

She and her pals cried all the way to the bank from their sold-out European tour that lasted 5 years.

:lulz:

hooplala

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 01, 2014, 09:51:03 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on April 01, 2014, 09:50:19 PM

- George W Bush

She and her pals cried all the way to the bank from their sold-out European tour that lasted 5 years.

Maybe that was a bad example.   :lol:

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on April 01, 2014, 07:34:03 PM
If that's all you were trying to say, you could have just done this:

Quote from: omnihil
Asch conformity experiments, AMIRITE?

But LMNO, it isn't like any of us have ever studied psychology, or had conversations about social conformity or conformity experiments before.

Real conformity experiments that actually happened, that is.

Not a one of us is familiar with Asch, Milgram, or Zimbardo either for that matter. :lol:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Pæs

Quote from: Nigel on April 02, 2014, 12:10:35 AM

But LMNO, it isn't like any of us have ever studied psychology, or had conversations about social conformity or conformity experiments before.

Not a one of us is familiar with Asch, Milgram, or Zimbardo either for that matter. :lol:

Way to seek herd approval by agreeing with the anti-monkey-story agenda, Nigel. You don't even know why we don't like the monkey story, you're just dismissing it because that's the way it's always been done.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Pæs on April 02, 2014, 12:14:27 AM
Quote from: Nigel on April 02, 2014, 12:10:35 AM

Way to seek herd approval by agreeing with the anti-monkey-story agenda, Nigel. You don't even know why we don't like the monkey story, you're just dismissing it because that's the way it's always been done.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Luna

So...  "This made-up story confirms my beliefs, so we should treat it like it's true."

Because that's the way it's always been done, I guess...
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 01, 2014, 08:52:08 PM

And we all know that "Christianity" is one monolithic bloc that never, ever debates within itself.  It's just 2000 years of rote behavior.

2000 years of rote behavior. 200000 different kinds of Christianity. Makes sense to me.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS