News:

Endorsement:  I know that all of you fucking discordians are just a bunch of haters who seem to do anything you can to distance yourself from fucking anarchists which is just fine and dandy sit in your house on your computer and type inane shite all day until your fingers fall off.

Main Menu

So here's a question

Started by Sir Squid Diddimus, April 14, 2014, 07:36:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Squid Diddimus

Kind of out of the blue, but you spags are the most logical and, quite honestly, realistically thinking people I know.
HYPOTHETICALLY (seriously, don't dig too deep into this shit, it's just a question I'm pondering)
What's worse on a child:
A) A parent suiciding themself,   OR
B) A child watching their parent suffer for their whole life, wondering when and if it's going to happen, and in those years, watching their parent degrade and suffer the entire way

My uneducated guess is B.
A, they can grieve and get over it after some undisclosed amount of time, and live on knowing their parent is finally at ease and content and FREE (from their depression, or ailment that wants this kind of thing, or whatever), while B, they would constantly have this worry in their hearts. "Will it be today? Tomorrow? Next week?"

What are your thoughts PD?

Nephew Twiddleton

A.

B would only be worse if they had a slow but terminal illness. That's not necessarily a logical assessment other than you're going to die from it anyway and it's going to suck the whole way there. Suicide is still the taking of human life, which I find repugnant in all but a very narrow set of circumstances that necessitate it.

But I can't say that logic should apply in this situation. The kid's going to be really fucking upset either way. I don't think that the maturity to even process this hypothetical even exists until well into teenage years. But seeing them try to at least fight back and stay alive would probably be preferable.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Junkenstein

From personal experience and via friends/family, I would suggest the question to be somewhat moot.

It's like asking if it's worse to get stabbed in the left or right eye. Both fuck you up and cause considerable distress, trying to determine if one is somehow worse is a little difficult and irrelevant when you've got a bit of metal in your face.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Suu

The problem is that there is no really right or wrong answer for something like this. Both cause suffering and pain to the child in different ways. Plus there's a lot of factors involved, as there's no guarantee this child has the understanding that their parent is depressed and suicidal. And if they did understand, why aren't they getting involved to ensure the safety of said parent?

Toughie question.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Reginald Ret

Hmmm, it is difficult to compare two so disparate and ill-defined hypotheticals.
Situation A depends on the people that take care of the kid afterwards, if those are good at that sort of thing then this is the better option, if not then not.
Situation B depends on the way the not-suiciding parent handles the stress. Common responses to extreme stress are stupidity and violence.

Table to illustrate the situation where 1 is best and 4 is worst.
                     Context:              Good          Bad
Situation:
A                                                2             4             
B                                                1             3                 
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Golden Applesauce

A. My parents are a bit of an experiment on this. My maternal grandfather was bipolar and alcoholic, and killed himself when my mother was youngish. He may have left his body in the bathroom for one of her sisters to find, I'm not sure. Mom gets really skeevy when I ask about him, so I don't anymore. My mom, and all of her sisters (large Irish Catholic family), all have some level of depression, anxiety, and trauma. Probably at least partially genetic, but I wouldn't bet a kid on it. Don't underestimate the power of trauma on a child's developing mind.

My biological paternal grandmother was also an alcoholic, and while never diagnosed, my dad's family thinks she may have been self-treating for bipolar (also: large Irish Catholic family). She and paternal grandfather divorced after my dad's cohort was grown. My dad and all of his brothers, aside from being engineers, all seem neurotypical. We went to her house after she died, and she definitely was not - a hoarder, if nothing else.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

LMNO

Whichever kid has a worse support system when it happens, will suffer more.

Both situations are shitty.  Any kid faced with one, will probably feel that the other one would be better, because that's not the one they're dealing with.  Any kid that doesn't get stability and love in the wake of that will be fucked up for a long time because of it.

This is a really grim question.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Sir Squid Diddimus on April 14, 2014, 07:36:50 AM
Kind of out of the blue, but you spags are the most logical and, quite honestly, realistically thinking people I know.
HYPOTHETICALLY (seriously, don't dig too deep into this shit, it's just a question I'm pondering)
What's worse on a child:
B) A child watching their parent suffer for their whole life, wondering when and if it's going to happen, and in those years, watching their parent degrade and suffer the entire way

A, they can grieve and get over it after some undisclosed amount of time, and live on knowing their parent is finally at ease and content and FREE (from their depression, or ailment that wants this kind of thing, or whatever), while B, they would constantly have this worry in their hearts. "Will it be today? Tomorrow? Next week?"

A.  Children of suicides tend to be suicides.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Eater of Clowns

As a product of B, I think A would be more damaging for a number of reasons.

I've yet to meet a person with depressive tendencies that doesn't go through cycles. While they vary between individuals, and the elevated moods don't always equal out the depressed ones, there are periods that are better than others. Those periods, however brief, are an important thing to be able to look to.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 14, 2014, 06:13:57 PM
Quote from: Sir Squid Diddimus on April 14, 2014, 07:36:50 AM
What's worse on a child:

A.  Children of suicides tend to be suicides.

I'm not sure I understand this answer.
Do you mean the children tend to suicide themselves also?
Cause I've never seen that happen (not to say it couldn't)

I know this is a weird ass question, but I'm curious because I wonder how it affects the kids involved.
A friend of mine with children, two friends of mine's mothers, and my grandfather all committed suicide.

hooplala

My understanding was that children of people who commit suicide are more likely to commit suicide, not that they necessarily do.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Luna

A.

Because you never really understand WHY, especially if it's not explained to you, over and over, until you understand and agree with the decision.

And it's gonna haunt you forever.

Fuck.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Pæs

Is the way the parent handles their suffering transparent to the child? Because while a suffering parent is terrible for the child, I imagine in many cases the full extent of the suffering is invisible to a child whose empathy and similar will still be developing. A dead parent is probably a more simple concept to digest.

Though I don't know from first hand experience, I have not heard many children of suicidal parents express that they know their parent is at ease and free from their depression. If there's any recurring theme, it's the understanding that 'my parent left me'.

I don't know at what age I got a proper handle on the impact of depression on either of my parents, but it would have been easy to be oblivious to, or understood as something entirely different to what it was.

Anna Mae Bollocks

I don't know, all I have is "I know this one guy..." and "My friend..."

But this has a ring of truth and is likely the correct motorcycle:

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on April 14, 2014, 06:05:21 PM
Whichever kid has a worse support system when it happens, will suffer more.

Both situations are shitty.  Any kid faced with one, will probably feel that the other one would be better, because that's not the one they're dealing with.  Any kid that doesn't get stability and love in the wake of that will be fucked up for a long time because of it.

This is a really grim question.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division