News:

Sometimes I rattle the cage and beat my head uselessly against its bars, but sometimes, I can shake one loose and use it as a dildo.

Main Menu

So here's a question

Started by Sir Squid Diddimus, April 14, 2014, 07:36:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pæs

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pergamos on April 15, 2014, 10:04:49 PM
Killing yourself is abandoning your family and if you are going to abandon them you should do so in the least painful way to them.  Not that abandoning your family is ok anyway, but people do it all the time.  Most of them by simply running off and not keeping in touch.

Killing yourself IS an abandonment, but that's not ALL it is. 
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Pergamos

Exactly.  It's a lot more than an abandonment.  If the question is which hurts the family less, abandoning the family hurts less.  If you really can't tolerate living and it's gotten so bad that you need to off yourself and you want to do so in the way that hurts your family the least get away from your family. 

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pergamos on April 15, 2014, 10:37:24 PM
Exactly.  It's a lot more than an abandonment.  If the question is which hurts the family less, abandoning the family hurts less.  If you really can't tolerate living and it's gotten so bad that you need to off yourself and you want to do so in the way that hurts your family the least get away from your family.

The primary motivation of a suicide is not abandonment.  It is to end one's own life.  Walking away from your family doesn't accomplish the primary motive, and if someone were thinking clearly enough to spend YEARS screwing up family relations, they wouldn't be considering suicide in the first place.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Pergamos

It doesn't take years to screw up relations.  Get out, tell them all you never want to see them again and that you are starting a new life, then go somewhere you won't be found and finish yourself off.

I'm not saying that's the thing to do.  Toughing it out and being there for them is the thing to do, but from what Squid is saying it doesn't sound like that's really possible.

Abandoning your family and driving off into the sunset is cruel, leaving them a dead body to find, or having the police tell them mommy killed herself is ten times as cruel.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Suicided human = Zero possibility of things turning out well for you.

Living human = The possibility definitely exists of things turning out well for you, no matter how small.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pergamos on April 15, 2014, 10:44:17 PM
It doesn't take years to screw up relations.  Get out, tell them all you never want to see them again and that you are starting a new life, then go somewhere you won't be found and finish yourself off.

I'm not saying that's the thing to do.  Toughing it out and being there for them is the thing to do, but from what Squid is saying it doesn't sound like that's really possible.

Abandoning your family and driving off into the sunset is cruel, leaving them a dead body to find, or having the police tell them mommy killed herself is ten times as cruel.

You should stop now.

Pæs

Nephew Twiddleton

Pergamos. Stop talking. Also you're kind off an idiot.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

LMNO

Perg. What the fuck. Honestly.

The Good Reverend Roger

I'm gonna just assume he was all fucked up on something and let this one slide.

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: Pergamos on April 15, 2014, 09:40:57 PM
I'm bipolar myself and I've been involved with a lot of depressive people.  Lucky for me none of them were my parents but I do understand the difficulty of caring deeply for someone and having her be miserable and being unable to do anything about it.  One of the depressive people that I was involved with flirted with suicide.  We ended things years ago, and we haven't talked in years, I do however still think about her because she had a big impact on my life.  I wasn't able to make her happy, it made me feel helpless and when she was down she would sometimes lash out at me and make me feel as if her misery was my own fault.  I was entangled with her in a relationship which wasn't healthy for either of us but which I was completely devoted to.  She ended things with me and that put me in a downward spiral that led to being institutionalized after an attempt at suicide myself.

That said I am still glad that she broke things off with me rather than with life in general.  I would have blamed myself  (I did for the breakup as well, but being at fault for a breakup is a much easier burden than being at fault for a death) and I would probably have tried much harder to make sure that I was properly dead.  I know that my own bipolar is sometimes hard on my family.  I'm fairly high functioning so it's not a huge burden but I recognize that it is one.  On the other hand I can't imagine how devastated they would be if I were to kill myself.

I hope you can pull through and keep functioning but if you really truly believe that suicide is the best option, for the good of your family as well as yourself then alienate your family first.  Alienate them so thoroughly that they will not even hear of the news of your death.  You will be abandoning them either way and a "regular" abandonment is far less cruel than a suicide that they can blame themselves for.

Apparently you didn't read my post, as suicide is not an option, ya dumbass.
If you had read anything correctly, you would have seen that I was making a comparison to people that I know who have had to live through that.
Christ. Fucking read.

The fuck is this guy??

The Good Reverend Roger

Oh, dear.  He's woken Squidzilla.

(For what it's worth, I read it wrong too, and was worried.)

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 16, 2014, 03:55:16 AM
Oh, dear.  He's woken Squidzilla.

(For what it's worth, I read it wrong too, and was worried.)

It was still an incredibly fucked up thing for Pergamos to say regardless of what Squiddy actually said or how it was interpreted by people who aren't Pergamos.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Luna

Fuck you, Pergamos.

You're wrong in ways I can't even describe.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."