News:

Endorsement: "I could go so far as to say they simply use Discordianism as a mechanism for causing havoc, and an excuse for mischief."

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: I see you've come to PD. I too like to live dangerously

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, April 28, 2014, 08:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I mean, I have no idea what the circumstances are, I'm just a little sensitive because I AM "that sister" in my family's eyes. On the maternal side, anyway; the paternal side is a lot less dysfunctional, amazingly. And the one sister I would absolutely love to visit lives in Vermont and I can't afford to fly all five of us to Vermont for a week. Or to leave Portland for a week at all, even if it was paid for. The logistics are just impossible, and it's often frustrating for me to hear "you should come visit, why don't you ever visit?" Well, because for me to prioritize visiting would necessitate letting everything at home slide, is why.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 09, 2014, 05:03:51 PM
Quote from: Junkenstein on May 09, 2014, 04:49:30 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 09, 2014, 04:23:58 PM
Also, I made myself some breakfast yesterday morning, on account of Jenn having been overnight at my folks' house. 

When they say "No-Stick Pan", this leads me to believe that it means NO STICK PAN.  So I made some scrambled eggs.  I don't really want to get into details, but Jenn is really pissed off about the whole thing.  So now I have to write her some more awful poetry, or I won't get a beating tonight.

I thought we dealt with this. Scrambled egg - Microwave. Remove shell first.

If you listened to me, you wouldn't be getting a beating.

Then fuck that.

Anyway, here's the first draft:

I can see that you
Are upset, but you don't need
Those pants on right now

:lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 09, 2014, 06:14:44 PM
Quote from: All-Father Nigel on May 09, 2014, 06:06:49 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 09, 2014, 04:23:58 PM
Also, I made myself some breakfast yesterday morning, on account of Jenn having been overnight at my folks' house. 

When they say "No-Stick Pan", this leads me to believe that it means NO STICK PAN.  So I made some scrambled eggs.  I don't really want to get into details, but Jenn is really pissed off about the whole thing.  So now I have to write her some more awful poetry, or I won't get a beating tonight.

:lulz: So that's what that message was about.

You were expecting my VMs to make sense or something?

Nay, I am not so foolish as  that!

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: All-Father Nigel on May 09, 2014, 06:06:20 PM
Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on May 09, 2014, 03:48:23 PM
I'm driving up to Seattle tonight for an art show my buddy from back home's putting on. Road dog backed out cause she has to work tomorrow. Drag. I'm heavily weighing weather I want to 6 hour round trip by myself. I should really just damned do it since it's kind of a crime that I've been here for 2 years now and seen Seattle for about 4 hours.

I love that drive.

Have you considered taking the train instead? Funner and surprisingly cheap.

I priced out the train and opted to drive for the savings...especially since at the time Cordelia was coming. Then I looked at the Bolt bus and kicked myself for not thinking about that more than 3 hours in advance. With a weeks notice I could have booked a round trip and a hostel for about $60 total.

Very good to know for the future though.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on May 09, 2014, 06:22:48 PM
Quote from: All-Father Nigel on May 09, 2014, 06:06:20 PM
Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on May 09, 2014, 03:48:23 PM
I'm driving up to Seattle tonight for an art show my buddy from back home's putting on. Road dog backed out cause she has to work tomorrow. Drag. I'm heavily weighing weather I want to 6 hour round trip by myself. I should really just damned do it since it's kind of a crime that I've been here for 2 years now and seen Seattle for about 4 hours.

I love that drive.

Have you considered taking the train instead? Funner and surprisingly cheap.

I priced out the train and opted to drive for the savings...especially since at the time Cordelia was coming. Then I looked at the Bolt bus and kicked myself for not thinking about that more than 3 hours in advance. With a weeks notice I could have booked a round trip and a hostel for about $60 total.

Very good to know for the future though.

Aw, man! Yeah, future reference.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 09, 2014, 06:23:15 PM
I would prefer it if my siblings were opaque.

I actually like most of  my siblings pretty well, but I'm not especially close to any of them. The one I was closest to when I was young is a full-on loony at this point.

Suu

I'm being told by email that sewing isn't that expensive and that I really shouldn't charge as much as I do, because they could do it themselves for cheaper.

QuoteSo why do you charge 20 an hour for sewing? that seems expensive, i mean like i can sew it myself for cheaper. If anything, you can work for minimum wage, that at least seems fair, rite? What is the minimum wage where u live? It just seems rediculous, i know linen is like 10 a yard but your totally ripping me off i feel.

I'm not justifying that with a response.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: The Suu on May 09, 2014, 06:42:35 PM
I'm being told by email that sewing isn't that expensive and that I really shouldn't charge as much as I do, because they could do it themselves for cheaper.

QuoteSo why do you charge 20 an hour for sewing? that seems expensive, i mean like i can sew it myself for cheaper. If anything, you can work for minimum wage, that at least seems fair, rite? What is the minimum wage where u live? It just seems rediculous, i know linen is like 10 a yard but your totally ripping me off i feel.

Clearly the product of English teachers who worked for minimum wage.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

LMNO

It's almost like someone doesn't want you to make clothes for them...

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: All-Father Nigel on May 09, 2014, 06:25:57 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 09, 2014, 06:23:15 PM
I would prefer it if my siblings were opaque.

I actually like most of  my siblings pretty well, but I'm not especially close to any of them. The one I was closest to when I was young is a full-on loony at this point.

One of my siblings (my brother) is getting better, but he is so self-absorbed that he makes ME look like Goddamn Gandhi.  My sister is a nasty person and a gigantic racist.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

I can write a response for you.   :)

Suu

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 09, 2014, 07:04:51 PM

Do it, and I will send it, and screenshot it for evidence.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on May 09, 2014, 06:57:51 PM

Clearly the product of English teachers who worked for minimum wage.

You may be correct. We've had an influx of "newbie rennies" in the groups looking for clothes since the new owner of an upstate NY Ren fair is a slumlord. He fired all the old performers and hired a bunch of new ones...at minimum wage.  They are infiltrating the SCA and more serious reenacting boards, calling us all "overpriced nazis" and demanding ugly shit at Walmart prices. I'm pretty sure this one may be one of them. We post our portfolios and our emails to peddle for work, and this is the norm that's been springing up lately for the majority of us commission sewers. Then they turn around and badmouth us when we won't take their orders. It's getting out of hand.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Suu on May 09, 2014, 07:07:20 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 09, 2014, 07:04:51 PM

Do it, and I will send it, and screenshot it for evidence.

Dear <insert name of stupid client>:

I have considered your counter-proposal and decided that I would be better off busking in the streets using an ass-whistle.  While you may enjoy a capacity to somehow survive without being paid for your work, I do not.  And while you may feel that garment work was better in the days of the Triangle Shirt Company, I actually do this for a living and thus I feel otherwise.

I suggest instead that you locate a wino and have him do your sewing.  After all, if it's minimum wage, it's unskilled, right?  You'll look great AND you'll save money.  Because if I am as ready to meet my maker when I die as I am to sew your garb at minimum wage, I shall surely go to hell.

Hoping you do the same,
<insert name>