News:

Testimonial - Well it seems that most of you "discordians" are little more than dupes of the Cathedral/NWO memetic apparatus after all -- "freethinkers" in the sense that you are willing to think slightly outside the designated boxes of correct thought, but not free in the sense that you reject the existence of the boxes and seek their destruction.

Main Menu

Hermann Hesse

Started by bugmenоt, May 07, 2014, 09:13:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMIX

. . . and your superhuman self control. I don't think I could suffer that provocation every day and remain unmoved
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

LMNO

To me, it's like using irregardless, or the whole your/you're there/their thing. Sure, it's "common usage", but it irks.

Oh, how it irks.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on May 07, 2014, 11:29:16 PM
To me, it's like using irregardless, or the whole your/you're there/their thing. Sure, it's "common usage", but it irks.

Oh, how it irks.

:tgrr:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: MMIX on May 07, 2014, 10:38:51 PM
. . . and your superhuman self control. I don't think I could suffer that provocation every day and remain unmoved

I have to keep telling myself, "Yes, he has a PhD, but he went through Elementary school in America."
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on May 07, 2014, 11:29:16 PM

Oh, how it irks.

P3nt's thread Ted talk spins morality on it's head showing up in my unread topics window for the last week or so has been giving me an eye twitch.

It's like a scab that's just partially hanging off.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Salty

Ima grammar super hard on yall.
              \
:mullet:
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

LMNO

Your gotta be kidding me with. Even if their joking, irregardless.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on May 07, 2014, 05:36:54 PM
What if Cram meant it impacted on him....like a wrecking ball?

:lulz:
+10
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

bugmenоt

Quote from: Cramulus on May 07, 2014, 05:30:01 PM
Though I'll say, if you're categorically not into "thoughts have been reiterated over and over again at least since Goethe" you probably won't like it. The book's about the Buddha and Enlightenment, partly in Siddhartha, but partly in all of us. You already know whether that's your cup of tea or not.

Of course those reiterated thoughts don't have to be boring. It can be very refreshing to read works which have impacted my own world view without me having read them before. This is a reason why I (mostly) enjoyed reading (most of) the bible. It's like watching Star Wars for the first time and constantly finding the sources to pop-cultural references you never got before.

Maybe it's Hesse's style of language which adds to my refusal. His language is orderly and spruce, it's a showpiece, it reminds me of the schoolbench where you HAVE TO read while you could of enjoyed the sunshine outside. Still not Hesse's fault though. Society has helped me not to like Hesse. Siddharta still seems tempting because it was written in a phase when a lot of writers made the effort of combining different world views from all around. Hesse did this successfully. I just decided to believe that he's one of the reasons I'm living next to a yoga school. If I decide to read Siddharta I'm expecting lots of Star Wars moments.

Cramulus

Quote from: Weltbürger (NSFW) on May 08, 2014, 01:03:48 PM
Maybe it's Hesse's style of language which adds to my refusal. His language is orderly and spruce, it's a showpiece, it reminds me of the schoolbench where you HAVE TO read while you could of enjoyed the sunshine outside. Still not Hesse's fault though. Society has helped me not to like Hesse.

yeah, I hear what you mean about the clunkiness - probably 50% due to difficulty in translating from German, 50% due to the style of the time.

QuoteSiddharta still seems tempting because it was written in a phase when a lot of writers made the effort of combining different world views from all around. Hesse did this successfully. I just decided to believe that he's one of the reasons I'm living next to a yoga school. If I decide to read Siddharta I'm expecting lots of Star Wars moments.

Siddhartha is also kind of interesting if you look at it through the lens of Hesse trying to explain the roots of Buddhism to Germans who are completely unfamiliar with the East. In some ways the whole book is trying to resolve a certain kind of mind set.

and of course, this passage is an old favorite http://principiadiscordia.com/bip/22.php

minuspace

I also like playin' me some Glass Bead Game.

BadBeast

Wasn't his brother something in the reich? Ended up in Spandau Prison until he died?. . . . Hesse, that's the guy..... 
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4