News:

CAN'T A BROTHER GET A LITTLE PEACE?

Main Menu

Magic the Gathering - Kustom Kards

Started by trix, May 11, 2014, 06:54:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trix

My friends and I play a custom version of MtG we invented called the Hunt.  This game requires 5+ people, and we play it every other night or more because we are addicts.

Our version has a bunch of custom tweaks to fit our playstyle, but the one relevant to this thread is that prior to each game, we pull out a stack of custom made Hunt Cards containing each of our faces, and deal them out face down.  Whoever's card you get is your "target", and all spells, attacks, enchantments, or anything that uses the word "target" can ONLY be played against your specific target.  If you kill your target you get 8 life and the Hunt Cards are collected, the dead person's is removed, and the remainder are re-dealt.  There's other little tweaks that make it work very smoothly that we've added over the last decade or so, but the purpose of this specific thread is not really about the Hunt itself, but about the custom cards we make.

Here are some examples.

So anyway I make all these myself using GIMP, then I print them onto special ultra-thin film paper, take real official FOIL Magic cards, remove the film paper they glue to the FOIL card stock with the ink on it, and glue the new design to it with special glue.  The result, a very high quality counterfeit MtG card with custom faces.

The point of this thread is if anyone is interested in their own card, put up a pic you want me to use and whenever I get around to it I might make you a badass card for the low low price of free.  And if you want the fully printed and counterfeit card that could go into an actual deck, I charge $10 (USD) flat fee and ship it in good bubble wrap envelopes.  I also take bitcoin.

Anyway I just thought it'd be interesting to make some PDers into MtG cards.  I reserve the right to invent the type of card and text on it, unless of course you are paying me, then it's your card your way.  In either case you choose the color(s) though.

- trix

PS.  In case you are wondering, The Bearded One is me.
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

Reginald Ret

Cool idea.
But not for me since i hardly play MtG anymore.

P.S. Examples not working.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Ben Shapiro

Láser printer. PDF file . MtG card generator. I do the same with Duel Monsters. I print and sell proxies with a warning at bottom.

trix

do you do the counterfeit process as well so the cards fit into a regular deck without standing out?
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Ben Shapiro

Yes. The loophole behind this is to print out the front of a card, and then glue stick it on top of really really really shitty card. Just remove the companies logo, give credit to the artist, and put a warning this is not for legal play/this is a proxy you should be fine. Also don't try to sell it for a outrageous price similar to the real card. Technically to Konami I'm selling modified/marked cards for non legal play.

http://www.mtgcardmaker.com/

trix

Ahhh, I think I see what you mean.

I use foil cards, as those are just a shiny card stock glued to a transparent film layer with the card ink printed on it.  That way, I can simply peel off the transparent film layer, print my custom card onto a new transparent film layer, and glue it back onto the shiny card stock.  This way the weight, thickness, and all other aspects of the counterfeit is exactly the same as a real card, with the exception of my logo and my custom graphics (I don't use WOTC artist graphics).

Like:

Zen Without Zen Masters

trix

(note: the caption on Becky's card (my gf) is from the SNL Celebrity Jeopardy skit where fake Sean Connery misreads "Therapists" as "The rapists".  Sort of an in-joke.)
Zen Without Zen Masters

Ben Shapiro

I no worries. I'm going to start doing my own game soon. If my friends all love it, I'll use the game crafter to publish/print it.