News:

That line from the father's song in Mary Poppins, where he's going on about how nothing can go wrong, in Britain in 1910.  That's about the point I realized the boy was gonna die in a trench.

Main Menu

The strange dichotomy of stupidity

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, May 13, 2014, 08:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"Dumb" really has different connotations from "stupid", as it implies a lack of speech or communication, whether it's from inherent inability or from imposed inability (such as suppression).
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Of course, all of these distinctions and definitions have little bearing on the point I was trying to make. They largely read as justification and avoidance.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: All-Father Nigel on May 15, 2014, 05:10:58 PM
Of course, all of these distinctions and definitions have little bearing on the point I was trying to make. They largely read as justification and avoidance.

I think it is on topic, either that or I'm really misunderstanding what you were going for. We assume "stupid" people are ignorant by choice - wasting the precious resource that is a working brain and fuck them - while we understand that mentally handicapped people don't have the capacity to be smart, and aren't being ignorant by choice.

trix

I try not to be ignorant but I am definitely stupid.  I mean, I could probably hold a really intelligent sounding conversation with Triple Zero about computer stuff, but outside of that one topic I know less than average, "average" being the norm that I have encountered from living in Wisconsin for nearly 30 years.  Especially History, which I recognize the importance of, but can't seem to stay interested enough to learn a whole lot about.  Places like this help a lot, where I can see names and references that I know nothing about and look them up and learn, but on the whole, if I'm talking to someone about anything other than technology, they probably know more than I do.

Yet, unless I do something specific to solicit a negative reaction, people are generally kind to me.  I cannot remember having ever been mocked for not knowing something most people know, or receiving any sort of negativity towards my lack of knowledge in the topic at hand.  This could be respect for my willingness to learn what I do not know, or that I am not embarrassed to admit my ignorance and work to correct it, or simply because I am polite.  Or maybe it's just the giant beard.

I'm not trying to say that my case is representative of some kind of norm, but I do think that the individual personality of the person has much more to do with how they are treated, than their raw level of knowledge or intelligence.
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

trix

Also, their ability to communicate.  I have a friend that people tend to assume is stupid, simply because he is not good as expressing his thoughts to others.  He has pretty bad social anxiety, which is responsible for most of it, but if you look at what he spends his time reading, and the kinds of things he can apply what he learns to, it becomes clear that the guy is very, very smart.

On the other hand, I've met people who communicate very well, and are always assumed to be rather intelligent, but when I got to know them better over longer periods of time it started to become clear that those people are really quite stupid.  In one case I discovered the person had trouble with basic math and serious reading comprehension problems, though he sounded great in person, if you discussed anything generic enough for him to keep up.

Of course then you have Bush, who can only appear intelligent if he doesn't open his mouth, write anything down, or otherwise attempt to actually communicate.
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on May 15, 2014, 06:48:11 PM
Quote from: All-Father Nigel on May 15, 2014, 05:10:58 PM

I think it is on topic, either that or I'm really misunderstanding what you were going for. We assume "stupid" people are ignorant by choice - wasting the precious resource that is a working brain and fuck them - while we understand that mentally handicapped people don't have the capacity to be smart, and aren't being ignorant by choice.

Yes, that's the point of the OP; trying to pull out and examine this particular piece of cognitive dissonance.

LMNO

Well, if it's making me uncomfortable and defensive  (and it is), then I think it's something that's pretty important.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on May 15, 2014, 11:00:27 PM
Well, if it's making me uncomfortable and defensive  (and it is), then I think it's something that's pretty important.

I'm running out of people to be better than.   :sad:

Nigel!  UNNNG!   :argh!:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Cool! And I've managed to do it without being horribly offensive, for a change! I think. :lol:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 15, 2014, 11:23:30 PM

I'm running out of people to be better than.   :sad:

Nigel!  UNNNG!   :argh!:

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

You can still feel better than people who feel better than people.

Eater of Clowns

I wonder, is the tendency to disparage those of lesser intelligence part of a broader tendency to ridicule people who are outside the norm? Outliers on the other end of the measurement, gifted or genius level, are able to hide their abilities with learned behavior. If less intelligent people were able to do the same, they wouldn't be less intelligent.

Is it a conformity issue?
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 15, 2014, 11:31:09 PM
I wonder, is the tendency to disparage those of lesser intelligence part of a broader tendency to ridicule people who are outside the norm? Outliers on the other end of the measurement, gifted or genius level, are able to hide their abilities with learned behavior. If less intelligent people were able to do the same, they wouldn't be less intelligent.

Is it a conformity issue?

Hmmm, that's an interesting angle... after all, "nerds" and academics used to also be fair game for disparagement, and in some circles still are.

Pæs

Quote from: All-Father Nigel on May 15, 2014, 11:24:38 PM

Cool! And I've managed to do it without being horribly offensive, for a change! I think. :lol:
It's not too late! Retitle this thread "Well-read people are puppy-kicking assholes".

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Pæs on May 15, 2014, 11:55:48 PM
Quote from: All-Father Nigel on May 15, 2014, 11:24:38 PM

It's not too late! Retitle this thread "Well-read people are puppy-kicking assholes".

:lulz: