News:

PD.com: The culmination of the 'Ted Stevens Plan'

Main Menu

This thing I got about IP...

Started by P3nT4gR4m, May 19, 2014, 07:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

yeah proprietary formats ended up being pretty expensive. Not everybody wants to use adobe flash as the industry standard. Over at the publisher's office, a LOT of my job involves trying to make assets developed in a proprietary format like flash usable today.

HTML5 is an "Open Code" format - and thank god, it is slowly replacing Flash entirely. If you develop with HTML5, your app can work on any mobile device. And I think this is a general trend - the less proprietary and protected formats you use, the easier it is to develop. Open source, open code, creative commons, public domain... these constructs make it easier to develop ideas. They take the idea out of the individual's control and expose them to the power of the crowd. It's not about the team who invented HTML5 making any money.

The World Wide Web Consortium doesn't own html5 in the same way adobe owns flash. They don't even have a certification program! "The W3C has decided, for now, that it is not suitable to start such a program owing to the risk of creating more drawbacks for the community than benefits."1

That says it all right there - tighter control means less access. Less access means less community.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on May 19, 2014, 07:41:59 PM
Well, you know, I'd like to spend my time developing something I love into the next big thing, but I got rent, you see, which means I have to work 50 hours a week on something that gets me paid.

If only I could somehow be compensated for doing the former, somehow...
The obvious solution is to get everybody 20 hours/week jobs that pay enough to live without excessive stress. Then everyone has enough leisure time to be creative.
I see no reason why this would be a bad goal to aim for.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Telarus

I agree with Cram that some companies are adopting this mindset (but working around/with existing IP laws).

Take Epic's new Unreal Engine 4. There is no free version (UE3 had a free "UDK" and then access to the full UE3 source code required lawyers to negotiate compensation terms). With UE4, they've gone to the 'software as a service' model. Pay $20 a month, and you can download the Source Code (including source code for PS4/Xbox One integration). THE WHOLE THING! Of course, you can only produce a commercial product by following the contract, but you get rolling updates. If you just want to "preview" UE4, pay for one month.. don't pay again until you need the newer updates...
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Regret on May 20, 2014, 09:56:05 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on May 19, 2014, 07:41:59 PM
Well, you know, I'd like to spend my time developing something I love into the next big thing, but I got rent, you see, which means I have to work 50 hours a week on something that gets me paid.

If only I could somehow be compensated for doing the former, somehow...
The obvious solution is to get everybody 20 hours/week jobs that pay enough to live without excessive stress. Then everyone has enough leisure time to be creative.
I see no reason why this would be a bad goal to aim for.
This can be done by increase wages or reducing the cost of living. I think the second one is easier.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

whenhellfreezes

Quote from: Cramulus on May 20, 2014, 12:24:18 PM
yeah proprietary formats ended up being pretty expensive. Not everybody wants to use adobe flash as the industry standard. Over at the publisher's office, a LOT of my job involves trying to make assets developed in a proprietary format like flash usable today.

HTML5 is an "Open Code" format - and thank god, it is slowly replacing Flash entirely. If you develop with HTML5, your app can work on any mobile device. And I think this is a general trend - the less proprietary and protected formats you use, the easier it is to develop. Open source, open code, creative commons, public domain... these constructs make it easier to develop ideas. They take the idea out of the individual's control and expose them to the power of the crowd. It's not about the team who invented HTML5 making any money.

The World Wide Web Consortium doesn't own html5 in the same way adobe owns flash. They don't even have a certification program! "The W3C has decided, for now, that it is not suitable to start such a program owing to the risk of creating more drawbacks for the community than benefits."1

That says it all right there - tighter control means less access. Less access means less community.

Flash is an unholy abomination and regardless of everything needs to leave. That said sometimes I worry that our near infinite bit flipping entertainment machines are too good at copying and we have created a situation that "Only a few marketable marinetes get a sliver of the pie while the rest fight for the stale crumbs on the floor" to quote someone more artsy than me. What we need is IP farmers markets, but totally not like the app store.

Cramulus

Quote from: whenhellfreezes on May 24, 2014, 12:42:30 AMWhat we need is IP farmers markets

ORGANIC
LOCALLY GROWN
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY

love it

whenhellfreezes

Quote from: Cramulus on May 26, 2014, 05:01:06 PM
Quote from: whenhellfreezes on May 24, 2014, 12:42:30 AMWhat we need is IP farmers markets

ORGANIC
LOCALLY GROWN
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY

love it

One day there will be local location based DRM, I'm calling it. There already is for countries. Maybe even down to like the county or city.  :horrormirth:

Bruno

Quote from: whenhellfreezes on May 26, 2014, 08:21:58 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on May 26, 2014, 05:01:06 PM

ORGANIC
LOCALLY GROWN
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY

love it

One day there will be local location based DRM, I'm calling it. There already is for countries. Maybe even down to like the county or city.  :horrormirth:

Like maybe some kind of app that only works while you are at Starbucks?
Formerly something else...

whenhellfreezes

Yes. It really doesn't seem all that far out there. Though I do love open source and I am sure it will always be viable going forward. I also feel that it will also always be plagued by being slightly less user friendly.