News:

And if you've misplaced your penis, never fear. This forum is full of dicks.

Main Menu

PUA reaction/info/derailment thread

Started by Ben Shapiro, May 30, 2014, 03:03:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junkenstein

Quote from: All-Father Nigel on June 03, 2014, 11:10:00 PM
Quote from: Junkenstein on June 03, 2014, 11:06:22 PM
Sorry, you need actual real world places where men go and talk nonsense about shit they don't know? Well, that sounds like every bar, pub or club I've ever had the misfortune to pass through. It may not have been this exact language but the overall meaning is pretty much the same. I'd put money I don't have on it being updated over the years.

More than a few workplaces as well, now that I think on it. Pretty much anywhere people can communicate, I reckon that rough percentage will stand.

I did also say that I'd ask the next few people I meet this question. Perhaps you'd consider doing the same?

Words. They mean something.

Quote from: All-Father Nigel on June 03, 2014, 03:51:03 PM
Do you really think there is, anywhere outside of a PUA meetup, "a room full of betas" who are aware of/buy into that idiocy?

If you find a room full of people who identify themselves as betas, congratulations, you are in a PUA meeting.

Well, yes, words mean things. If people are saying words with similar meetings in relatively similar contexts (Bars and this kind of behavior were PUA environments before the term existed, surely? No seedy or singles bars in the US?) why am I wrong to equate meanings and compare?

edit - What I'm trying to get at is I suspect this kind of mindset is probably a lot more prevalent than you may think. It's surely got a decent chance of occurring anywhere you get people. I was saying that I'd guess most people would reference "celebrity/sport figure" as an "Alpha male" before talking about anything not human.

edit - scrubbed. Uncalled for and apologies if you saw it.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Well, as always, thank you for speaking for Pent, as well as for letting me know what I really meant. Always a pleasure.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It's not like I could possibly have been replying to this:

Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on June 03, 2014, 07:40:29 AM
All it takes is one self styled "alpha", and a room full of self styled "betas", most of whom buy into the theory. Doesn't matter how valid the theory is or isn't, if everyone believes it, it informs the narrative.

Oh wait, I quoted it in my reply. Never mind.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Junkenstein

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Chelagoras The Boulder

Well, i think it's more than possible for there to be guys who see themselves  within that alpha/beta dynamic. Not even out of wanting to be a PUA, but more out of insecurity. Guys who struggle or dont fit into the male gender role (1 part Don Draper+ 1 part Jersey Shore- Mix until slimy) and for whatever reason also struggle to meet women see the guys who DO look like "alphas" who have women around them and they think that guy is supposed to be the ideal; the thing they're supposed to be to be a "real man". The theory, whether valid or not (its not) serves as a way to explain their situation and even avoid having to ask hard questions about why they struggle to connect with people. It's easier to say "if i only knew these techniques, and dressed this way, and acted like this, i'd get laid/have a girlfriend" than it is to do self-improvement and refine social skills.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Chelagoras The Lust-Driven Dickwolf on June 04, 2014, 12:00:22 AM
Well, i think it's more than possible for there to be guys who see themselves  within that alpha/beta dynamic. Not even out of wanting to be a PUA, but more out of insecurity. Guys who struggle or dont fit into the male gender role (1 part Don Draper+ 1 part Jersey Shore- Mix until slimy) and for whatever reason also struggle to meet women see the guys who DO look like "alphas" who have women around them and they think that guy is supposed to be the ideal; the thing they're supposed to be to be a "real man". The theory, whether valid or not (its not) serves as a way to explain their situation and even avoid having to ask hard questions about why they struggle to connect with people. It's easier to say "if i only knew these techniques, and dressed this way, and acted like this, i'd get laid/have a girlfriend" than it is to do self-improvement and refine social skills.

We all know there are people who see themselves in that dynamic, even though it's a bullshit model. There are also people who think chemtrails are the government's way of vaccinating and thereby poisoning the population. Nobody is debating the existence of people who think that way.

I am, however, starting to personally debate the reading comprehension level of some of the members of the board.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Fuck "context" and "literal meaning of sentences", I'll just reply to what I wish you had said so my point would be valid!

Pergamos

room full of betas = room full of "nice guys"

Alpha and beta get used a lot outside of PUA, they're part of pop psychology.  A friend of mine had a book called "why you should marry a beta" it ws partly humorous, but not entirely, and didn't seem to have sprung out of PUA stuff at all.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Pergamos on June 04, 2014, 09:44:46 PM
room full of betas = room full of "nice guys"

Alpha and beta get used a lot outside of PUA, they're part of pop psychology.  A friend of mine had a book called "why you should marry a beta" it ws partly humorous, but not entirely, and didn't seem to have sprung out of PUA stuff at all.

Yes. The terms are used outside of PUA. Nobody said they weren't. And there might even be other context where a room full of people who think of themselves as "betas" exist. Fuck context, man, just fuck it completely. I think I'll take a sentence from something you said while conversing with someone else and argue with it without regard to the rest of the conversation, that'll totally make sense and it probably won't irritate you AT ALL.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It'll be even more fun if several people do it.

This conversation doesn't even make sense anymore. Good job! 23fnord!

Chelagoras The Boulder

Well would you clarify what you mean by that? It seems that more than one of us have misinterpreted your posts
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Chelagoras The Lust-Driven Dickwolf on June 04, 2014, 11:14:57 PM
Well would you clarify what you mean by that? It seems that more than one of us have misinterpreted your posts

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on June 03, 2014, 03:51:03 PM
Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on June 03, 2014, 07:40:29 AM
All it takes is one self styled "alpha", and a room full of self styled "betas", most of whom buy into the theory. Doesn't matter how valid the theory is or isn't, if everyone believes it, it informs the narrative.

Do you really think there is, anywhere outside of a PUA meetup, "a room full of betas" who are aware of/buy into that idiocy?

Was any of that exchange really that hard to understand? I can't quite wrap my head around what there is to misunderstand. A self-styled "alpha" in a room full of self-styled "betas"... I doubt that scenario happens much, if at all, outside of PUA meetings. Is there something incredibly debatable or hard to absorb about that idea? It's not a metaphor for anything that I'm aware of.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

But why bother reading the whole thread when you can just take a quoted sentence out of context and attempt to debate it in a way that bears no relationship to the conversation? That shit's for sissies.

Chelagoras The Boulder

Oh. Well then in that case, yes. Yes i do believe that scenario happens. Like, all the time.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on June 04, 2014, 11:24:26 PM
But why bother reading the whole thread when you can just take a quoted sentence out of context and attempt to debate it in a way that bears no relationship to the conversation? That shit's for sissies.
Quote from: Chelagoras The Lust-Driven Dickwolf on June 04, 2014, 11:32:48 PM
Oh. Well then in that case, yes. Yes i do believe that scenario happens. Like, all the time.

I agree completely.