News:

If you really want to hurt your parents, and you don't have the nerve to be a homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts. But do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites, standing for absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.

Main Menu

All You Need to Know About the 21st Century

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, June 04, 2014, 03:46:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on June 05, 2014, 02:11:31 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 05, 2014, 02:05:45 PM
Quote from: Junkenstein on June 05, 2014, 07:17:22 AM
My perspective is probably somewhat off here, as it usually is with matters of children. I don't have any or really interact with anyone below 25 or so on a regular basis.

They're different, this time around.  At least the majority are.

Exhibit A: An Awesome Senior Prank.
http://jezebel.com/seniors-at-santa-barbara-high-school-pulled-the-best-se-1586204429

That is AWESOME!
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on June 05, 2014, 05:48:57 AM
I started noticing it before my kids got to middle-school - kids, even young ones, driving social change, looking out for other people, fighting injustice. Teenagers these days are more concerned with social issues, more involved in community activism. My ten-year-old and her friends raised almost $200 for the animal shelter. Kids wanting less STUFF, and more connection with their community. Things were not like this in the 80's, for sure.

My son's senior project involved dissecting cold war propaganda.

My entire schooling involved being trained to swallow it without question.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on June 05, 2014, 03:02:32 PM
Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on June 05, 2014, 05:48:57 AM
I started noticing it before my kids got to middle-school - kids, even young ones, driving social change, looking out for other people, fighting injustice. Teenagers these days are more concerned with social issues, more involved in community activism. My ten-year-old and her friends raised almost $200 for the animal shelter. Kids wanting less STUFF, and more connection with their community. Things were not like this in the 80's, for sure.

My son's senior project involved dissecting cold war propaganda.

My entire schooling involved being trained to swallow it without question.

Yep.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

It occurs to me that Dr Pangloss is vindicated.  This may very well be the best of all possible worlds.  We aren't an extinct species cluttering up a radioactive ruin, World War II was won by the least bad side, etc.

Now there's a horrible thought for you:

ALL OF THIS IS NORMAL.

Junkenstein

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 05, 2014, 02:13:25 PM
My perspective is probably somewhat off here, as it usually is with matters of children. I don't have any or really interact with anyone below 25 or so on a regular basis.

http://jezebel.com/seniors-at-santa-barbara-high-school-pulled-the-best-se-1586204429

That is AWESOME!

I need costs on this ASAP.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

LMNO

Reginald Ret

Oh wow!
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Junkenstein

Doesn't cover the UK, but I've found a couple going at a touch over a grand.

Wheels are turning.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

From what I've seen / can recall there was always a minority of decent kids doing shit for charity and such, so if that's on the rise in general then I'm not upset to hear it. I'm just concious that it's easier to communicate about this kind of stuff now so fundraisers for X get much more attention and reach many more people than they would have in previous decades. Modern tech has certainly made it a lot easier to either help or be a dick to people, that's for sure.

I think part of it is that compassion and social justice work are now socially reinforced in that age group; being a "mean girl" is no longer cool, helping people and doing good is cool, and because of online social networking feedback is immediate, creating a positive feedback loop that encourages kids to do more good. It's a culture change, IMO.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

:lulz: this is amazing. I love kids these days!

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 05, 2014, 03:10:31 PM
It occurs to me that Dr Pangloss is vindicated.  This may very well be the best of all possible worlds.  We aren't an extinct species cluttering up a radioactive ruin, World War II was won by the least bad side, etc.

ALL OF THIS IS NORMAL.

Now, if we can only manage not to go extinct just as we're figuring shit out!

Junkenstein

ALL OF THIS IS NORMAL.

I'm just starting to understand what this could mean. I'm not sure whether to be terribly depressed, laugh, or both. Probably both.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Junkenstein on June 05, 2014, 08:39:02 PM

ALL OF THIS IS NORMAL.

I'm just starting to understand what this could mean. I'm not sure whether to be terribly depressed, laugh, or both. Probably both.

It means we won.

It also means that just because you're in a golden age doesn't mean there aren't big problems.

xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed)

As someone under 25 I have to tell all you geezers that you are dangerously deluded. My generation isnt better, my generation is just better at PR. I know these people in my fucking blood, theyre absolute monsters. Theyre the culmination of a hundred years of the technology and methods of social engineering being refined. Theyre consumers, and nothing but. They cant see it though, and neither can you, for the same reason. They are perfect. The endpoint. You cant make a population more docile and controllable without getting implanting brainchips.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed) on June 13, 2014, 12:46:32 AM
As someone under 25 I have to tell all you geezers that you are dangerously deluded. My generation isnt better, my generation is just better at PR. I know these people in my fucking blood, theyre absolute monsters. Theyre the culmination of a hundred years of the technology and methods of social engineering being refined. Theyre consumers, and nothing but. They cant see it though, and neither can you, for the same reason. They are perfect. The endpoint. You cant make a population more docile and controllable without getting implanting brainchips.

:cn:
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A