News:

Discordianism:  It is some kind of a communist sect.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Funnier Than White People Practicing Voodoo

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, June 09, 2014, 03:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on July 13, 2014, 12:45:49 PM
Well, I have 19 PMs.  Whatever is so important, it will have to wait until tomorrow.  I have worked exactly half of the previous 48 hours, mostly the ones without sunlight.

I also found out certain co-workers of mine decided to trash me at my workplace for the unforgivable crime of taking two nights off when my grandmother died.  Here's the best bit: I worked for the same home that looked after my grandmother*.  She died on a Wednesday night, my shift was for Friday and Saturday.

Or, to rephrase: people who work in the care industry thought I should have to work in the place my grandmother died only 48 hours previously.  I told the bearer of this information not to name the responsible parties, but I'm seriously toying with finding out who they are.

*Different section though.  I did dementia and general lack of capacity residents, neither of which applied to my grandmother.  Residents like her had their own wing, which I did not work on.

What complete pieces of shit. Seriously, they don't deserve jobs, let alone jobs working with people.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

They are unfairly taking jobs away from people without a complete lack of empathy, it's true. 

I also had an amusing attempt at someone getting me into trouble yesterday.  Basically, they implied I did a terrible job getting someone ready (true) and that I should be disciplined/sacked (false).

Unfortunately for them, they took the complaint to the nurse I'd been working with the whole night.  The nurse who knew that we were a person down and that I was shouldering most of the workload for that missing person, all night.  And that the resident in question had been attacking me repeatedly that morning, and that I stayed 10 minutes after my shift was over in order to try and get him in some kind of presentable state.  She suggested, in a diplomatic fashion, that they add the above context and promptly STFU.

They also didn't try and rectify the problem before playing snitch.  So they dun fucked up.

But nevertheless, an interesting insight into the care industry.  A good number of malicious gossips, power-trippers and outright sociopaths.  Oh, and at least one thief, three pathological job shirkers and I'm fairly sure one illegal immigrant (who is nevertheless an excellent carer).

And the best part?  I've done absolutely nothing to earn this aminosity.  The people who hate me the most have never actually worked with me.  Not once.  They don't speak to me.  They don't know me outside of work.  It's really quite amazing.

trix

Quote from: Cain on July 13, 2014, 05:05:15 PM
And the best part?  I've done absolutely nothing to earn this aminosity.  The people who hate me the most have never actually worked with me.  Not once.  They don't speak to me.  They don't know me outside of work.  It's really quite amazing.

I have found that many people find it difficult to empathize with anyone outside their circle of people-they-know.  If you find it amazing, I would consider you fortunate, as that implies you do not encounter many people that possess that difficulty.

ETA: Also, what Nigel said.  That is a shitty thing to do, from any angle you look at it.
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

Reginald Ret

Cain, that sucks.

I use the monkeysphere as a guideline: 1 person can empathize with about 150 people. The rest are cardboard cut-outs.
Just a guideline of course, because you can always add one more as long as you forget about another.
As long as you keep it at 1401 you have enough leftover empathy for 10 interchangable people.

1 Your mileage may vary.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Cain

Trix and Regret: it's the effort they put into the whole thing.  I understand the mechanics of the lack of empathy etc but they are putting in an extraordinary amount of work into this.  We're talking multiple complaints (none upheld), a rota and holiday time fucked with, being the main target of a rumour mill, paperwork "going missing"...

If they didn't really care, that would be one thing.  But this requires a fair bit of actual work. 

Junkenstein

Is it widely known that you're getting out of that hellhole? If so, I'd suggest that this is all the motivation required. You're moving on to other things, they will still be there, dealing with shit.

I would guess this to make a person quite bitter, particularly if they've been there a while.

I'd suggest methods of redress, but I'm sure you've got that well in hand.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Cain on July 14, 2014, 09:11:31 AM
Trix and Regret: it's the effort they put into the whole thing.  I understand the mechanics of the lack of empathy etc but they are putting in an extraordinary amount of work into this.  We're talking multiple complaints (none upheld), a rota and holiday time fucked with, being the main target of a rumour mill, paperwork "going missing"...

If they didn't really care, that would be one thing.  But this requires a fair bit of actual work.
Huh.
I've got nothing, except: I don't understand people.
Fuck them.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on July 14, 2014, 09:11:31 AM

They're bored losers with pathetic, unhappy lives and nothing in particular to live for other than starting petty drama at work.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

So yesterday I was complaining to my boyfriend that the girl housemate, who cheated rather spectacularly stupidly on boy housemate (who has been supporting her while she's in school) uses a fuckton of dishes and never cleans up after herself. Ever.
In what seems a nearly comical exaggeration of this fact, I cleaned the kitchen spotless at 3pm yesterday, right before boyfriend and housemate and I went out for the evening. Housemate then went to Salem, boyfriend and I came home and crashed.

This morning, I come downstairs, and there were SEVEN plates and a bowl in the sink, and a shit ton of silverware and glasses. Who the fuck dirties that many dishes in a single afternoon?

Salty

The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

trix

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on July 14, 2014, 05:48:19 PM
So yesterday I was complaining to my boyfriend that the girl housemate, who cheated rather spectacularly stupidly on boy housemate (who has been supporting her while she's in school) uses a fuckton of dishes and never cleans up after herself. Ever.
In what seems a nearly comical exaggeration of this fact, I cleaned the kitchen spotless at 3pm yesterday, right before boyfriend and housemate and I went out for the evening. Housemate then went to Salem, boyfriend and I came home and crashed.

This morning, I come downstairs, and there were SEVEN plates and a bowl in the sink, and a shit ton of silverware and glasses. Who the fuck dirties that many dishes in a single afternoon?

Someone who had company you don't know about, maybe?
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: trix on July 14, 2014, 05:49:46 PM
Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on July 14, 2014, 05:48:19 PM

Someone who had company you don't know about, maybe?

Eh, this might in fact be the case. She has not been noted for her honesty.

Sure as hell flipped out when I told her housemate went to Salem, which was funny given the circumstances.

Salty

I have decided to apply the energy I use to figure out people to dogs instead.

Also, I have decided I, eventually, want a man like Buster Keaton, pretty, brilliant, mostly silent.

Salty

Chelagoras The Boulder

Quote from: Regret on July 14, 2014, 05:50:44 AM
Cain, that sucks.

I use the monkeysphere as a guideline: 1 person can empathize with about 150 people. The rest are cardboard cut-outs.
Just a guideline of course, because you can always add one more as long as you forget about another.
As long as you keep it at 1401 you have enough leftover empathy for 10 interchangable people.

1 Your mileage may vary.
Is it possible to have empathy for peoplebeyond that as ideas? Like, I can't empathize with EVERY starving child in Africa, yet i can empathize with the idea that that shit is bad and i should do something about it (give money, volunteer, etc.)?
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."