I hate both of you because your conversation is both navel-gazing and puerile

Main Menu

Open Bar: Funnier Than White People Practicing Voodoo

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, June 09, 2014, 03:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on June 21, 2014, 01:01:30 AM
Quote from: Ållnephew Tvýðleþøn on June 21, 2014, 12:56:38 AM
When you do take it, it does involve a bit of stats. The way that the exam was broken up for us (not that that is indicative) was defintions for 10 points (90%), multiple choice for 65 (I got 71.1% on that section), and written answers counted for 25% and included statistical analyses (I got a -5 and a -19 on those...)

Yeah, stats isn't a prereq for 300-level genetics, but it's recommended in the class description. I'm thinking that I'll probably also take human genetics and recombinant DNA techniques.

Damnedest thing is I took stats before I dropped out the second time for a math elective and got an A, but that was a few years ago, so I forgot more or less the whole thing. I asked for clarification on a stats problem today because I honestly didn't get it. I get it now, it was a crossing over/allele locus distance problem.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

A good thing though was today's lab was to interpret a Southern Blot for whether a kid had Sickle Cell. Nailed it. Kid didn't have it, both parents were heterozygous, so, kid was the lucky 25% of offspring to not have to worry about it (or worry about carrying it). So it's coming back.

Suu

The tour of the Constitution today was intense. Because we were there with the Navy, we got the full tour, instead of just the civilian tour, and got to go down into the holds with restricted access. Not only did I get to see the belly of the beast, we got to climb into the old magazine which rides right on the keelson and touch some of the original timbers still intact on the ship. I cannot believe how much of the hull is original, but apparently saltwater helps preserve the wood somehow. There's all kinds of science involved. I also only bunked my head once.

Afterwards, we went to the Gardner Museum, which is the result of an eccentric Victorian woman with too much money, but OMG that collection is INSANE.

I'm toast.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Suu on June 21, 2014, 01:34:10 AM
The tour of the Constitution today was intense. Because we were there with the Navy, we got the full tour, instead of just the civilian tour, and got to go down into the holds with restricted access. Not only did I get to see the belly of the beast, we got to climb into the old magazine which rides right on the keelson and touch some of the original timbers still intact on the ship. I cannot believe how much of the hull is original, but apparently saltwater helps preserve the wood somehow. There's all kinds of science involved. I also only bunked my head once.

Afterwards, we went to the Gardner Museum, which is the result of an eccentric Victorian woman with too much money, but OMG that collection is INSANE.

I'm toast.

I remain jealous.

The oldest vessel in the fleet still commissioned, served in the revolution, stationed in Massachusetts, never been aboard in my now almost 33 years as a Masshole. Never stepped foot on her, never even seen her.

Nephew Twiddleton

I also, have no excuse there. I can see Ironsides anytime I want.

I should examine that.

Suu

She didn't serve in the Revolution, but was named by Washington while he was president and served in the Quasi-War, Barbary War, and War of 1812. 33 victories, no defeats, and she still carries 14 War of 1812 battle streamers in addition to flags designated to be flown by active duty ships. The season just started, so they were painting her up, and the crew was training to unfurl (they have to do it in 30 minutes of less.) She has a cruise scheduled for 4th of July of course, and in a year she's up here to Portsmouth for a 3 year restoration and refit. So if you want to see her, SEE HER NOW. 

This is the stern portion of the keel. Look at that wood, dude.

LOOK AT IT.

Those timbers were laid down over 217 years ago, and that's what the boat is still floating on.  The upper holds and deck get refinished all the time because of wear and tear, and of course the sides that were blown in and such during actual battles, but that part is original. I had to climb down a ladder in a dress where my husband was able to catch me, and we climbed in there. That wood is petrified, and is actually preserved because of the saltwater. This was well below the water line and there was only a tiny splash of water on the keelson between this compartment and the magazine, which was on the other side of the passage.

Here we are sitting between that stern compartment and the mag. That's it. That's how much space you had to get powder from the hold. Hence they use of "powder monkeys," or little boys on the ship as young as 5 or 6 to get what you needed. We could barely fit in those compartments, and they're STILL dirty.

This is the magazine:

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Ben Shapiro

Salty

So, this old creeper here in town has been hungrily staring at me for a decade. At coffee shops I have worked at or frequent, at the only gay bay *shudder*, for a decade.

Turns out he is an objectivist AND a philosophy professor at the main university here and uses John Galt as a screen name.

He thinks scientists are " just as dogmatic as religions."

I am shocked.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

UB

Quote from: Alty on June 21, 2014, 11:00:38 PM
So, this old creeper here in town has been hungrily staring at me for a decade. At coffee shops I have worked at or frequent, at the only gay bay *shudder*, for a decade.

Turns out he is an objectivist AND a philosophy professor at the main university here and uses John Galt as a screen name.

He thinks scientists are " just as dogmatic as religions."

I am shocked.

Um, well, aren't scientists as dogmatic as religions?  :)
Within the grip of Err.... some are fucked in the head by a fist of fire.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: UB on June 21, 2014, 11:36:37 PM
I am apologise unconditionally Show me the post.
I love this implementation of the ignore function.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

UB

Quote from: Regret on June 22, 2014, 12:26:58 AM
I love this ability to directly respond to a specific part of what was mentioned, deleting the things I'd rather not eat away time with addressing.

You're welcome.  :)
Within the grip of Err.... some are fucked in the head by a fist of fire.

Suu

Every time I see a post from UB, I just want to start singing, "Cherry, oh baby." For some reason. Just pops right in mah headspace.

hooplala

Quote from: The Suu on June 22, 2014, 12:43:18 AM
Every time I see a post from UB, I just want to start singing, "Cherry, oh baby." For some reason. Just pops right in mah headspace.

I just piss my pants and forget who I am for half an hour. 
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Suu

Quote from: Hoopla on June 22, 2014, 02:32:03 AM
Quote from: The Suu on June 22, 2014, 12:43:18 AM

I just piss my pants and forget who I am for half an hour.

Oh I got pills for that.

minuspace

Quote from: The Suu on June 21, 2014, 02:01:52 PM
She didn't serve in the Revolution, but was named by Washington while he was president and served in the Quasi-War, Barbary War, and War of 1812. 33 victories, no defeats, and she still carries 14 War of 1812 battle streamers in addition to flags designated to be flown by active duty ships. The season just started, so they were painting her up, and the crew was training to unfurl (they have to do it in 30 minutes of less.) She has a cruise scheduled for 4th of July of course, and in a year she's up here to Portsmouth for a 3 year restoration and refit. So if you want to see her, SEE HER NOW. 

This is the stern portion of the keel. Look at that wood, dude.

LOOK AT IT.

Those timbers were laid down over 217 years ago, and that's what the boat is still floating on.  The upper holds and deck get refinished all the time because of wear and tear, and of course the sides that were blown in and such during actual battles, but that part is original. I had to climb down a ladder in a dress where my husband was able to catch me, and we climbed in there. That wood is petrified, and is actually preserved because of the saltwater. This was well below the water line and there was only a tiny splash of water on the keelson between this compartment and the magazine, which was on the other side of the passage.

Here we are sitting between that stern compartment and the mag. That's it. That's how much space you had to get powder from the hold. Hence they use of "powder monkeys," or little boys on the ship as young as 5 or 6 to get what you needed. We could barely fit in those compartments, and they're STILL dirty.

This is the magazine:

Yar!  That's pretty fucking cool - plus the storm of images conjured by the idea of Barbary War.  Fucking badass.  I don't say that often.