News:

Can anyone ever be sufficiently committed to Sparkle Motion?

Main Menu

Open Bar: Funnier Than White People Practicing Voodoo

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, June 09, 2014, 03:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salty

Quote from: Cain on July 08, 2014, 07:01:29 PM
Quote from: Alty on July 08, 2014, 06:53:03 PM
So, is there a reason I should read Sam Harris? I googled and it seems like he is much like Dawkins, in that I don't give a shit.

Someone keeps pushing it on me and I suspect zealotry. Google was inconclusive, but that might be lazieness user error.

I dunno.  I mean, there is the novelty value of him proclaiming his superior morality and reasoning while demanding Iran be nuked, right now, right away, as soon as we can fire up the ICBMs because they might, one day, get a nuke and everyone knows conventional deterrence don't work against them Crazy Smudgy People.

I mean, I found that pretty funny.

:lulz:

Splendid. I guess I will give Free Will a pass then.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Salty

Salty

Suu

Oh good, my boobs went and got fibrocystic on me. This is awesome. Because not only am I supposed to look for lumps, I have to look for lumps now that don't match the other lumps. The doc was all like, "You have really lumpy breasts." She basically had to restart my heart.

It's a normal occurrence, there is nothing I need to worry about, it's just the way the tissue is in my body, but nobody has ever said anything to me about it before, I mean, I always thought boobs were supposed to be a bit lumpy and tend to get lumpier around period time and then go away.  :? MORE WOMEN NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THIS SHIT. WAY TO SCARE THE FUCK OUT OF ME.

Oh, and I don't have the diabetes or the LDLs, and somehow have maintained 20/15 vision into my 30s.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Salty

It's brass monkeys tonight, brass monkeys all the way down.

trix

Quote from: Alty on July 08, 2014, 06:56:29 PM
ALSO, I have been thinking about sillieness recently. I feel a lot less silly than I used to, but it comes back a little day by day. I am starting to suspect being silly is a healthy brain's response to The Big Awful. Thoughts?

I usually get sillier and sillier in response to boredom, good mood, or excessive external negativity.  I call those my three reactive states, "Bored Silly", "Silly with a Smile", and "Yeah that sucks, but FNORD!"

The third might just be my way of dealing with other people's problems.  I have empathy towards them, I wish I could somehow help, but I am absolutely terrible at consolation. I never know what to say or do when others are having a bad day or difficult time, so I usually resort to fnording until they laugh with or at me.

As for The Big Awful, I don't really get silly in response to it.  I do get a bit horrormirthy sometimes, and have giggled while others were horrified, but I think a healthy brain's response to The Big Awful might just be Depression.  Maybe the problem is assuming Discordians have healthy brains?
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

Suu

I've been exceptionally hate-filled lately. Like, old school hate filled. Back in the day when I could shit hate almost 1/4th as good as Roger. So either I need to write something, or I need to go on a killing spree. I haven't decided yet.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Quote from: The Suu on July 09, 2014, 02:30:01 AM
I've been exceptionally hate-filled lately. Like, old school hate filled. Back in the day when I could shit hate almost 1/4th as good as Roger. So either I need to write something, or I need to go on a killing spree. I haven't decided yet.

Writing involves less laundry and digging afterwards.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIRâ„¢
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Suu

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on July 09, 2014, 03:16:51 AM
Quote from: The Suu on July 09, 2014, 02:30:01 AM

Writing involves less laundry and digging afterwards.

And people ask me why I'm always angry...really? because OF YOU ALL. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THE PEOPLE.

Suu

In other news, just chugging along on the school front. Financial aid is all set, registration is all set, healthcare waiver has been put in and is all set. Picking out a small meal plan since husband is going to be deployed my entire first semester and on the other side of the country my 2nd year, so why should I have to deal with cooking all the time?

HOLY SHIT. GRADUATE SCHOOL IS HAPPENING.  :eek:

trix

Quote from: The Suu on July 09, 2014, 03:20:57 PM
In other news, just chugging along on the school front. Financial aid is all set, registration is all set, healthcare waiver has been put in and is all set. Picking out a small meal plan since husband is going to be deployed my entire first semester and on the other side of the country my 2nd year, so why should I have to deal with cooking all the time?

Is it an online school?
(If graduate school is never online please forgive my ignorance of this topic)

I only ask because I am considering a similar path when I finish my 4 year starter college, and would like to do it online if that is possible and wont hurt me down the road.
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

Suu

Quote from: trix on July 09, 2014, 03:42:39 PM
Quote from: The Suu on July 09, 2014, 03:20:57 PM

Is it an online school?
(If graduate school is never online please forgive my ignorance of this topic)

I only ask because I am considering a similar path when I finish my 4 year starter college, and would like to do it online if that is possible and wont hurt me down the road.

University of New Hampshire, total brick and mortar large state research university.  But yes, there are some very legit online grad schools, I recommend Norwich University which is based out of Vermont if it has programs you're interested in. I know several grads from there and they enjoyed it. You are required to go to the school for graduation and a 1 week residency. I applied there and was accepted as well. SNHU also has some grad programs online as well.

Just avoid any for-profit institution, Phoenix, Capella, Everest, et al.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on July 08, 2014, 04:56:05 PM
Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on July 08, 2014, 04:48:28 PM
Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on July 08, 2014, 04:46:07 PM
Quote from: trix on July 08, 2014, 04:38:09 PM
Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on July 08, 2014, 03:46:21 PM
Woke up to helicopters again, which means a building fire somewhere in my neighborhood. The smell is rank.

Does that happen often where you live?

It's a suspiciously frequent occurrence.

Yep.

It's odd how the presence of urban renewal dollars and a gentrifying neighborhood tends to so dramatically increase the flammability of building materials. I think we should get a crack team of econo-chemists together, to solve this mystery.

:lulz:

There's a third factor as well, which is that many of these buildings have seen virtually zero maintenance since the 1940's, have had random sections "rewired" to add functionality without ever going in and doing a full, clean rewire, and are a horrific mishmash of different decades of wiring (like my house, combination of knob & tube, 40's wiring, 70's wiring, and 2006 wiring) and were never designed to run microwave ovens, bass amps, etc. in the first place. Too much activity in a building too old with inadequate and outdated wiring is a structure fire waiting to happen.

And also arson, of course.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 08, 2014, 05:18:27 PM
Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on July 08, 2014, 03:46:21 PM
Woke up to helicopters again, which means a building fire somewhere in my neighborhood. The smell is rank.

And then Nigel lived in Hanoi.

Naw, just in the nonwhite part of Portland.  :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Alty on July 08, 2014, 06:53:03 PM
So, is there a reason I should read Sam Harris? I googled and it seems like he is much like Dawkins, in that I don't give a shit.

Someone keeps pushing it on me and I suspect zealotry. Google was inconclusive, but that might be lazieness user error.

Some people, including himself, think he's the Messiah. I think he's an unclever asshole.