News:

There's a sucker born every minute... and you are right on time.

Main Menu

Calling all nerds

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, June 10, 2014, 03:15:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on June 11, 2014, 04:59:27 AM
Quote from: Ållnephew Tvýðleþøn on June 11, 2014, 04:30:02 AM
Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on June 11, 2014, 04:20:56 AM
Quote from: Ållnephew Tvýðleþøn on June 11, 2014, 04:14:42 AM
Dorn is just a badass. He singlehandedly redifined the word Klingon. Brilliant acting. Patience of a saint, considering the makeup job.

Truth. I loved watching the evolution of his character through ST:NG and DS:9.

I was disappointed. Villager and I went to a Trek theme party and there was a song about Worf in the background giving away that he was going to marry Dax. Now, at this point she had gotten to DS9 (I started her on TNG, and we're eventually going to get to TOS), and had taken a particular interest in Trills, so, she was all about Dax like I would be as about Commander Shran, since I have a thing for Andorians, and Worf wasn't even on DS9 from her perspective yet, and I was like "oh god... I hope you're not listening"

And then suddenly she whips around and goes "Worf and Dax get married? Wait, Worf gets transferred to Deep Space 9?!"

She has no clue about Ezri though. No sad, sad, clue.

Fucking Ezri. What a simp. Haaaaaate.

Armin Shimmerman and Rene Auberjonois, awesome through out, saved that damn show for me at that point.

Their... for lack of a  better term, bromance, is one of the excellent bits about the show. That and the actual bromance between O'Brien and Bashir.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Cainad (dec.)

Yeesh, we settled this argument in like, 6th grade. I'm totally nonplussed on how to extract this rivalry meme out of a grown man's head.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on June 11, 2014, 02:35:37 PM
Yeesh, we settled this argument in like, 6th grade. I'm totally nonplussed on how to extract this rivalry meme out of a grown man's head.

He's an odd dude. It's part of his charm, except in this area.

Cain

Quote from: Ållnephew Tvýðleþøn on June 11, 2014, 01:41:10 AM
But that's an interesting thing, does Lucas actually hate Star Wars fans?

I wouldn't blame him if he did.  Star Wars fans are, by and large, assholes.  I mean, you can argue so is George Lucas, but there's only one of him, so it's far more tolerable.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Cain on June 11, 2014, 04:03:52 PM
Quote from: Ållnephew Tvýðleþøn on June 11, 2014, 01:41:10 AM
But that's an interesting thing, does Lucas actually hate Star Wars fans?

I wouldn't blame him if he did.  Star Wars fans are, by and large, assholes.  I mean, you can argue so is George Lucas, but there's only one of him, so it's far more tolerable.

:lulz:

Cain

Also, if you're talking excellent DS9 actors, tribute must be paid to an, IMO, underrated Andrew Robinson as Garak.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Cain on June 11, 2014, 04:12:07 PM
Also, if you're talking excellent DS9 actors, tribute must be paid to an, IMO, underrated Andrew Robinson as Garak.

Garak was the shit.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

So what will change if you get him to watch Star Trek?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on June 11, 2014, 04:33:24 PM

It will show me that he can open his mind about stuff, mainly. Dude's a geek, and geeks are pretty particular. If he hates Star Trek on its own merits, then that's just a matter of taste. But he's never even watched Star Trek because he thinks he's supposed to hate it. He's wearing a uniform, basically.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Ållnephew Tvýðleþøn on June 11, 2014, 04:37:20 PM

It will show me that he can open his mind about stuff, mainly. Dude's a geek, and geeks are pretty particular. If he hates Star Trek on its own merits, then that's just a matter of taste. But he's never even watched Star Trek because he thinks he's supposed to hate it. He's wearing a uniform, basically.

You're wearing a different uniform.

I've never seen Titanic or Rocky Horror Picture Show, and I probably never will because, well, shit, I've gone this long. Also because after I reached a certain point of just not ever happening to have seen them, people started in on the BUT OMG! YOU HAVE TO!

Do you actually LIKE your friend, or is he just a personal project?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on June 11, 2014, 04:41:51 PM
Quote from: Ållnephew Tvýðleþøn on June 11, 2014, 04:37:20 PM

You're wearing a different uniform.

I've never seen Titanic or Rocky Horror Picture Show, and I probably never will because, well, shit, I've gone this long. Also because after I reached a certain point of just not ever happening to have seen them, people started in on the BUT OMG! YOU HAVE TO!

Do you actually LIKE your friend, or is he just a personal project?

I like him just fine.

See, I've seen both Titanic and Rocky Horror, but I've never gone, OMG  YOU HAVE TO because there's plenty of stuff that I haven't seen myself, nor will ever see because there's just too much stuff to watch. I also have plenty of friends whose opinions on Trek are totally unknown to me, or are indifferent to it. It's this guy's flat out refusal that caught my attention, and it was something that he brought up. If he'd said something like, "I haven't seen Star Trek, and I probably won't" I'd have been like, alright fair enough. But he said "I haven't seen Star Trek, and I won't because I'm a Star Wars fan." Which just strikes me as incredibly silly.

UB

They seem completely different to me.

*dunno*

But the irony of Skywalker losing an arm due to not being able to walk on air does strike me as a bit of silliness.
Within the grip of Err.... some are fucked in the head by a fist of fire.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Inge on June 11, 2014, 05:01:13 PM
They seem completely different to me.

*dunno*

But the irony of Skywalker losing an arm due to not being able to walk on air does strike me as a bit of silliness.

:?

I'm trying to remember the details of the scene now.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Quote from: Cain on June 11, 2014, 04:12:07 PM

Indeed.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

BadBeast

Star Trek is brilliant sometimes, lazy at others, and each series has a little formulaic thing of it's own going on. I liked Enterprise, once I got over that theme tune, and people didn't seem to take to that one so well. But seen them all so many times. So I'm looking through a bunch of other old Sc-fi shows, and I really couldn't believe I'd totally forgotten about Lexx. If you've never seen Lexx then you must either ewatch it at the earliest opportunity, or just lie down on the nearest patch of ground, and never get up again.

If re-incarnation is real, all those who never saw it, will be turned around at St  . . Ganeshi's Gate(?) and told, "The only thing you needed to do with your life this time round was to watch Lexx.  What did you do instead? You re-watched fucking "LOST"  to see if it made any sense after a second sitting and Dude, I'm Ganeshi, I hardly EVAR watch TV, and I just KNOW Lost never even made sense one time! Now go, live, love and enjoy your next spin, but remember" And that will be that.

It was an Aussie / Canadian / Brit collaboration, lots of episodes, but this is one of the most bizzarre and best. Battersea Power Station, A living Dead Man, a Dead Living Girl, Stanley Tweedle, All in Shakespeare's Midsummer Night's Dream. Kind of. And supporting roles? Think TCC's Annual gropy lulzfest.  Oberon and Titania, (Titania must be that WyldeKat, but a Dwarf. Oberon is . . . .well, King of the Fairies) Go go, watch it. 4 ten minute sections.

http://youtu.be/oGDogIo8u34

http://youtu.be/yXH39KMcoSo

http://youtu.be/xFKLcqS69Qk

http://youtu.be/ztPvHOz6_98
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4