News:

Doing everything exactly opposite from "The Mainstream" is the same thing as doing everything exactly like "The Mainstream."  You're still using What Everyone Else is Doing as your primary point of reference.

Main Menu

The Company Loves Me. The Have Sent Me a Friend.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, June 10, 2014, 03:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reginald Ret

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 11, 2014, 03:44:50 PM
Quote from: Ållnephew Tvýðleþøn on June 11, 2014, 03:24:15 PM
Is he avoiding you?

You said that you and he would get to work today. Maybe he's afraid of what that entails, based on his experience in Tucson thus far.

No, but I put him to work doing actual stuff.  I shall fuck with him at lunch time.
Doing actual stuff does wonders for people. The easiest way to make people care about their work is making sure their work means something.
The mirror image is that there is nothing as destructive as pointless busywork.

Overtime can be (and often is) a teambuilding experience if the reasons for the overtime are good, sadly luckily this means you cannot create the situation.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Luna

Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

The Good Reverend Roger

Andrew:  "So, what do you do for fun in Tucson?"

Me:  "We take drugs and fuck perverts."

Blank stare.

TGRR,
Taking it one day at a time.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

I feel like a u-boat commander, watching a fat merchantman fall out of convoy with engine trouble.

:whack:

The Good Reverend Roger

Looking for some advice, here.

Do I ramp it up continually (I can, indefinitely)?  Or do I ease off and then drop the hammer again?

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 12, 2014, 02:54:31 AM

Do I ramp it up continually (I can, indefinitely)?  Or do I ease off and then drop the hammer again?

Randomized outbursts. Continual abuse builds up a tolerance and easing up before dropping the hammer allows him to relax. Build suspense in uneven intervals, lead up to magnificent freak outs that go nowhere but then flip your shit seemingly out of nowhere. Break him down to a ball of anxiety before building him up to a person again.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 12, 2014, 02:54:31 AM

Mix and match. Don't make a pattern for him to adjust to. :P
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

The Good Reverend Roger

Trivial

They should have Roger trials after graduation for engineers.  Something to go along with the FE test.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Trivial on June 12, 2014, 03:27:50 AM
They should have Roger trials after graduation for engineers.  Something to go along with the FE test.

Yes.  Stress-testing.

The Good Reverend Roger

So, Andrew is whining to other managers about my alleged "mental issues" and my "mistreatment" of him.  None of the other managers can stand my ass, but they apparently already hate him MORE, because they tell me about said whining.

Me:  "Andrew, come sit in my office for a moment.  There.  Are you comfortable?"

Andrew:  "Not really."

Me:  "No, I suppose not.  I gave you a broken chair."

Andrewe:  <Stare.> 

Me:  "Andrew, the reason I have called you in here is to address your recent and injudicious complaints about my generous and able leadership.  What we have here is a classic disconnect.  Almost a mathematical discontinuity, you might say.  YOU are concerned with your career, with your prospects for rapid promotion, and - once again - this bizarre fixation that you have with money and power.

"Look at me Andrew.  I have a decent measure of power.  Does it look healthy to you?  No.  No, it does not.  Your priorities are all fucked up, Andrew.  You want to be the guy from Boiler Room or even the sociopath from Glengarry Ross.  The company, on the other hand, has different goals.

"We are building the future, young man.  We have made some serious Star Trek shit here.  Transparent aluminum is one example, and another example is that we have already made transparent aluminum obsolete.  You know this, because you had a small hand in making it happen over the last couple of years."

Andrew:  "Yeah, so..."

Me:  "Hush.  I am not done bestowing my wisdom upon your pointy little head.  Your purpose in this company is the same as my purpose in this company.  It is to do material science and thus usher the future in, to tie off the bleeding stump of the 20th century and make a newer, better world.  This is an article of religion with me, Andrew, a point of FAITH.  Am I making myself clear?"

Andrew:  "You're insane, you know that, right?"

Me:  "That is almost certainly true.  However, it is also an article of religion with my boss and his boss and like that.  All the way up the chain.  You have joined a church, Andrew, a cathedral in fact, where we worship the twin Gods of sustainable profitability and really really cool shit.  Cool shit that WE ARE DOING.  Now, you did not answer my question:  Am I making myself clear?"

Andrew:  "Yes.  For a given value of..."

Me:  "Good.  Because I want you to understand that the Armani suit and Rolex that you are obsessed with is decades away, if at all attainable.  You are in Tucson, now, and here you will learn the cost of building the future.  That cost is YOU.  This job will grind you up and spit you out.  It will age you before your time and you will LOVE it because you're doing REAL, APPLIED ENGINEERING that - and this is the important bit - NOBODY HAS DONE BEFORE.  This is all NEW.  This is not cookie-cutter chemistry, you horrible little person, it is the shit you DREAMED ABOUT when we still had a space program.

"Now, you will stop your bitching and you will stop your complaining and you will go out to JM500 and find out why the particle size is off spec, and figure out a way to run it so it is IN spec ALL THE TIME, because for the moment, that is your part in building the future."

Andrew:  <staring, as if waiting for me to jump over the desk and shit on the floor or something.>

Me:  "Welcome to hell, kid.  We cannot win.  I think that God sent you here to keep me company until I die.  Now fuck off."

LMNO

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on June 12, 2014, 06:41:42 PM
This shit is GLORIOUS.

He doesn't get it.  Any dumbfuck can get rich and be an asshole.  We're doing the COOL SHIT.