News:

Testimonial - Well it seems that most of you "discordians" are little more than dupes of the Cathedral/NWO memetic apparatus after all -- "freethinkers" in the sense that you are willing to think slightly outside the designated boxes of correct thought, but not free in the sense that you reject the existence of the boxes and seek their destruction.

Main Menu

Going to New Orleans!

Started by Bu🤠ns, June 12, 2014, 02:25:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bu🤠ns

For our honeymoon!  Got married 11 years ago and we're finally getting around to it.

So since the lot of you have secret knowledge about damn near everything, what tips can you give ol' Burns about New Orleans?  What to see ... what to avoid...you konw...lay it on me plz :)

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Bu☆ns on June 12, 2014, 02:25:40 AM
For our honeymoon!  Got married 11 years ago and we're finally getting around to it.

So since the lot of you have secret knowledge about damn near everything, what tips can you give ol' Burns about New Orleans?  What to see ... what to avoid...you konw...lay it on me plz :)

:banana:

I have no useful advice.  Except maybe track down Verthaine and ask him what's good.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I don't know shit about New Orleans, but that sounds awesome!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Eater of Clowns

If I recall, ECH and LMNO both had some tips for the city.

Have fun, Burns!
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

LMNO

Go to Bourbon Streen once, and only once on your first night, and then never go back there again.  You are required to see the horror, but you are not required to stay there.

Go to Frenchman Street, and stay there for as long as you possibly can.

ECH can give you tips on getting out of the quarter and going Uptown.

Things you really won't see or get anywhere else, so get them while you can: A second line. A Bounce show. The Cajun Bloody Mary at the Gazebo.  Oysters at Felix's (stand at the bar and eat them the moment after they're shucked). Asking Chris McMillian at Kingfish to make whatever kind of drink he wants for you.  A muffaletta at the Central Grocery.  A Ferdie PoBoy with Debris at Mothers. Lafayette Cemetery No 1 in the Garden District.  Frozen Cafe Ole and Bignets at Cafe Du Monde.  At least one (1) dinner that costs more than $100 (I can provide a list of my favorites). At least one (1) breakfast at 3:00AM at Clover Grill that costs less than $5.00.  A Lucky Dog.

LMNO
-NOLA Tourist, and proud.

UB

Quote from: Bu☆ns on June 12, 2014, 02:25:40 AM

No secret knowledge here. BUT I've been to New Orleans. The heat was marvelous. I have been to few places that I have felt so comfortably well. I had no ridiculous drowsiness or pain the whole time we were there, four days.  :)  My friend and I had gone down the week of the international food convention, completely missing the doctors' conference a week later. The only thing I found impossibly difficult was that every single building blasted the AC beyond the point of comfort for me. I learned that though I could carry a survival bag with my snowsuit I wasn't going to be able to wear much in the way of fashion.  My friend, however, loved the AC and was only concerned about getting her battery operated wheelchair in and out of areas already crowded with people. Also, haha, I was not allowed out after ten. Mind you, I was there as a companion/help, and not really interested in partying away two blocks down on Bourbon Street. We stayed at one of the most beautiful hotels I'd ever seen, Hotel Chateau Dupre. The language, which most informed me would be predominantly French, was NOT and when taxis picked us up for anything outside of the French Quarter, I became more alert to the fact that I could not understand the constant ranting they do on their phones the whole damned time we rode, be it morning, day or night.

All in all, it's an amazingly beautiful place. They had done a lot of remarkable work after the storms and even when we ventured outside of the French Quarter, the people were always hospitable, warm and personable. The influence of the cultural differences and the architectural designs had me in awe to the point that I didn't even read a chapter from within any of the three books I brought for the four day trip.

I hope it goes well for you newlyweds. Just be sure to pack heavier if either one of you struggle with direct AC flow.
Within the grip of Err.... some are fucked in the head by a fist of fire.

Bu🤠ns

Thanks, all. Way to deliver LMNO! That's exactly what i was looking for -- I really appreciate it. 

Inge, sounds like quite an experience.  AAAAAAnd we too are staying at the Chateau Dupre!  I'm quite excited. We've actually been married for 11 years but are now finally able to get to the honeymoon part ;)

Roger,  I was thinking about finding out wtf happened to Verthaine I'll keep an eye out for a strange "church" lol

UB

Quote from: Bu☆ns on June 12, 2014, 09:04:46 PM
Thanks, all. Way to deliver LMNO! That's exactly what i was looking for -- I really appreciate it. 

Inge, sounds like quite an experience.  AAAAAAnd we too are staying at the Chateau Dupre!  I'm quite excited. We've actually been married for 11 years but are now finally able to get to the honeymoon part ;)

Roger,  I was thinking about finding out wtf happened to Verthaine I'll keep an eye out for a strange "church" lol

Even after 15 years of marriage I marvel at how little hubby and I really know one another, though... so maybe such a "freshness" will help renew your relationship and allow the both of you to feel like newlyweds.  :)  Its always fun to pretend, too, accordingly.

They offer lots of tour packages and though I stuck with my friend and we attended every ghost hunting tour offered, they have several that could introduce areas outside of the more immediate surroundings and that might give you the initiative to explore more without the guides.

My friend and I may go back soon. We have been discussing it but we have a seminar coming up and then in March of 2015 I hope to attend a week long seminar. Im certain to not get the time off from the front office to be gone while we have patients, so its only being considered at this point.

Please let us know how well you enjoyed it. Its such a beautifully nostalgic place.

LMNO

Your milage may vary, but every "Ghost" or "Cemetary" tour I've taken there have been kind of crap, and we've invariably drifted away to some dark corner of the quarter to get a drink.  A decent local history book and a map would serve you better.

Ooooh!  You have to go get the red beans and rice at Coops.  There's a line out the door for a reason.

Bu🤠ns

Thanks again, LMNO,  We're on our way now and I feel a lot more prepared thanks to your advice! the Misses and I appreciate :)

UB

I almost forgot... there is a phenomenal fabric/boutique middle eastern shop. Its called the pharoah's pyramid. Im sure your wife will love the styles if she were to come across it.  ♡

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Inge on June 12, 2014, 10:09:20 PM
Quote from: Bu☆ns on June 12, 2014, 09:04:46 PM

Even after 15 years of marriage I marvel at how little hubby and I really know one another, though... so maybe such a "freshness" will help renew your relationship and allow the both of you to feel like newlyweds.  :)  Its always fun to pretend, too, accordingly.

They offer lots of tour packages and though I stuck with my friend and we attended every ghost hunting tour offered, they have several that could introduce areas outside of the more immediate surroundings and that might give you the initiative to explore more without the guides.

My friend and I may go back soon. We have been discussing it but we have a seminar coming up and then in March of 2015 I hope to attend a week long seminar. Im certain to not get the time off from the front office to be gone while we have patients, so its only being considered at this point.

Please let us know how well you enjoyed it. Its such a beautifully nostalgic place.

Inge, can you tell us more about your personal life in unrelated threads? It's fascinating, really. Try to spread it out across as many threads as possible if you can, there's a dear.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bu🤠ns

Okay! did the bourbon street thing...and i see what you mean by 'the horror'. The burlesque show was wonderful and the token queen was fabulous..but i gotta say the best part was watching the folks from....oh let's say Wisconsin...cringe their way through the show. It was like this subtle dilemma between "oh i want to get my 20 bux worth" and "this androgynous spectacle makes me uncomfortable".  Meanwhile we're hooting and hollering.  It was marvelous. We even stayed for the all-male review which was as expected and just as wonderful.  They even had a token hipster soldier bit which was my favorite.  We some how found ourselves in marie laveaux's and decided it was better to spend our money there while sober.  Amazingly we made our way back to the hotel.  Now i must stop typing becuause i don't think the wife wants PD to be privy about what is to happen next.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Bu☆ns on June 15, 2014, 05:58:54 AM
Okay! did the bourbon street thing...and i see what you mean by 'the horror'. The burlesque show was wonderful and the token queen was fabulous..but i gotta say the best part was watching the folks from....oh let's say Wisconsin...cringe their way through the show. It was like this subtle dilemma between "oh i want to get my 20 bux worth" and "this androgynous spectacle makes me uncomfortable".  Meanwhile we're hooting and hollering.  It was marvelous. We even stayed for the all-male review which was as expected and just as wonderful.  They even had a token hipster soldier bit which was my favorite.  We some how found ourselves in marie laveaux's and decided it was better to spend our money there while sober.  Amazingly we made our way back to the hotel.  Now i must stop typing becuause i don't think the wife wants PD to be privy about what is to happen next.

:fap:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel