News:

I liked how they introduced her, like "her mother died in an insane asylum thinking she was Queen Victoria" and my thought was, I like where I think this is going. I was not disappointed.

Main Menu

How do I into cinema (there may be spoilers)

Started by Raz Tech, July 05, 2014, 03:16:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raz Tech

I really enjoy movies.  Perhaps it's my lack of worldliness, my inability to appreciate most static art with the exception of realist paintings of landscapes, or any of the other things that would perhaps make me seem like an intellectual, but movies speak to me.  I wanted to make a forum post where I could discuss certain movies with whoever would listen, in the hopes that they would provide either new movies to watch or some differing opinions on classic movies that I could revisit in a different light.  I figure I'll kick this off with an opinion of movies that I find somewhat thought provoking, whether that be because of subject matter or interpretation or whatever.  Please share your opinions, and whether they differ from mine, are the same, or are completely off subject, I would love to hear them.

Raz Tech

Exhibition 1: Scarface

Pop culture is capable of many things.  Pop culture can bring to light social injustices, vilify evil, or do pretty much anything else.  However, occasionally, pop culture gets it all wrong.  I can't think of a place where this is more prevalent than the movie Scarface.

On its surface, Scarface is a movie about decadence, and the wealth and subsequent destruction that illegal drugs bring.
Beneath its surface, on a deeper level, Scarface is about the ridiculous amount of consumerism our world is faced with.  This message was, perhaps, truer in the 80's, yet it remains true now.  If you have everything, you still have nothing if you sacrificed yourself to get it.

Yet at the same time, it seems popular culture has destroyed this idea.  For whatever reason, Scarface is almost seen as a martyr in today's culture.  What should be a cautionary tale about how you can have too much and not truly have yourself has instead become a tale of how being rich is awesome.  Tony Montana, over the course of the movie, managed to alienate himself from all of his friends, his family (including the kid sister he cared about more than anything), his wife, and everything except for money, yet is seen as an example of how great it is to finally "make it". 

Perhaps this exemplifies the fact that we, societally, still aren't over our lust for wealth.  But to be driven to idolize a man who sacrifices everything for that wealth seems a bit off.